Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Bills Have Submitted a Rules Change Proposal to the NFL

Ann

Buffalo Bills propose delaying NFL hiring process

</snip>

The Bills' proposal doesn't come as much of a surprise considering the attention their assistant coaches received throughout their playoff run in 2020. Offensive coordinator Brian Daboll was interviewed by the New York Jets and Los Angeles Chargers and defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was interviewed by the Houston Texans. Assistant general manager Joe Schoen was also interviewed by the Carolina Panthers.

Bills general manager Brandon Beane was vocal about his opinion of the current rule during a recent appearance on Cris Collinsworth's podcast, saying it was "tough to ask" coaches to focus on both their upcoming interviews and the game ahead of them.

"To me, it's an unfair process," Beane said. "Personally, I would love to see the hiring backed up so when you're trying to win this game, you work all year ... and now you're having guys have to think, in the back of their head, 'I don't want to lose this opportunity with Houston.' If I'm Leslie Frazier, 'I want to make sure I'm ready for that interview, but I've got to get ready for the Baltimore Ravens and stop Lamar Jackson.'

"I really hope the league will continue to look at moving this thing back, whether it's after the championship games or after the Super Bowl. I know that's a long time, but I'm at least going to try and ask for that so that these guys don't have to worry about it."

</snip>

• Like 2

I don't know if they should stop the process altogether, but I can see them stopping the process for teams still playing. With the way the league schedule is these days, you almost have to have a HC in place before the end of the post season. You have a hell of a lot of work ahead of you just in roster evaluation before free agency comes along and everything that follows.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

I don't know if they should stop the process altogether, but I can see them stopping the process for teams still playing. With the way the league schedule is these days, you almost have to have a HC in place before the end of the post season. You have a hell of a lot of work ahead of you just in roster evaluation before free agency comes along and everything that follows.

Agreed. And a lesson in life I learned a long time ago is that it's not how fast you get there or how fancy you arrive because if they value you they only want you to show up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Foxx said:

But there is rarely a process happening for the team that are still playing.   This is to solve for Eric Bieniemy not being able to conduct a full job search until all the jobs are gone.

The real questions and counter-view will be "is it fair to the Jets and Jags to make them wait a month to find a new HC, which puts them even further behind everyone else on managing the off season".

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

They can stop people from hiring HCs without much issue.  As long as the playing field is even for everyone, it's not much of an issue. 

They can still hire GMs, which is the position that truly matters most in a reorganization.  As a GM, I'd much rather have better access to ALL of the possible HC candidates rather than being forced to choose from a smaller pool because of restricted access or the candidate being less than focused on a new job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

But there is rarely a process happening for the team that are still playing.   This is to solve for Eric Bieniemy not being able to conduct a full job search until all the jobs are gone.

The real questions and counter-view will be "is it fair to the Jets and Jags to make them wait a month to find a new HC, which puts them even further behind everyone else on managing the off season".

I understand what you're saying but... availability is and always has been part of the hiring process. The choice is up to the team(s) whether or not they would want to wait. It does penalize those candidates on the good teams, but did it affect anyone of them being available this year, last year?

On 3/4/2021 at 11:22 AM, Alaska Darin said:

They can stop people from hiring HCs without much issue.  As long as the playing field is even for everyone, it's not much of an issue. 

They can still hire GMs, which is the position that truly matters most in a reorganization.  As a GM, I'd much rather have better access to ALL of the possible HC candidates rather than being forced to choose from a smaller pool because of restricted access or the candidate being less than focused on a new job.

I agree with this, and think it would be fairer to all to wait on the HC hirings. It "should" also give the teams looking for a new HC  better talent (although great coordinators do not always make for great coaches).