Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Inflation and What To Do

The_Dude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nouseforaname
On 7/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, Foxx said:

A colleague of mine told me of a study where a small but significant part of the entry level work force decided to forgo classic entry level work to jump into « influencing ».  This might be a reason why economic activity is going down but unemployment is still very low.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

A colleague of mine told me of a study where a small but significant part of the entry level work force decided to forgo classic entry level work to jump into « influencing ».  This might be a reason why economic activity is going down but unemployment is still very low.

Possibly. I was thinking more along the lines of people taking on two jobs just to make ends meet in this economy.

• Like 2

Nouseforaname
11 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Possibly. I was thinking more along the lines of people taking on two jobs just to make ends meet in this economy.

Maybe in your neck of the woods but there are tons of entry level jobs that are not being filled here.

There’s also heavy language requirements here so it contributes to the labor shortage.

Edited by Nouseforaname
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Maybe in your neck of the woods but there are tons of entry level jobs that are not being filled here.

There’s also heavy language requirements here so it contributes to the labor shortage.

Maybe the Brandon Administration is cooking the numbers with the midterms approaching.

Nouseforaname
14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Maybe the Brandon Administration is cooking the numbers with the midterms approaching.

There hasn’t been any indication that jobs are being slashed but companies are freezing or heavily reducing new hires which will be felt eventually if it isn’t reversed. 

As was mentioned by Tom in another thread there was such a shortage of labor that some companies don’t want to be caught again when the economy turns around.

2 hours ago, Nouseforaname said:

There are numerous articles that people in the United States have taken on a second job, and those who were retired needed to head back to work for income.  The labor participation rate is at the lowest level in history, too, so :think:.

I do wonder how many people are part of the gig economy. That is going to trail due to how quarterlies are submitted. 

• Cheers 3

Nouseforaname
4 hours ago, Ann said:

There are numerous articles that people in the United States have taken on a second job, and those who were retired needed to head back to work for income.  The labor participation rate is at the lowest level in history, too, so :think:.

I do wonder how many people are part of the gig economy. That is going to trail due to how quarterlies are submitted. 

Technically I’m part of the gig economy.

14 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Technically I’m part of the gig economy.

Same. And, I think during covid a lotta people joined in and liked it. Are all those self-employed numbers added in? 🤷‍♀️

Nouseforaname
6 minutes ago, Ann said:

Same. And, I think during covid a lotta people joined in and liked it. Are all those self-employed numbers added in? 🤷‍♀️

In my case, I can file for unemployment if I don’t get a mandate.

Edited by Nouseforaname

5 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

I don’t know but wouldn’t that make the economic outlook better ?

I would think so. So, they are probably baked into labor participation trailing 12-15 months based on quarterlies.  

Nouseforaname
5 minutes ago, Ann said:

I would think so. So, they are probably baked into labor participation trailing 12-15 months based on quarterlies.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/weak-growth-tight-job-markets-are-a-global-phenomenon-11659865504

During the Obama years we had the « jobless recovery » and we now have the « jobfull recession » 😂😂😂

I’ve seen it all.

• Doh! 1