Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills release John Brown & Quinton Jefferson

Boyst

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Sorry to see Smoke go. Loved him as a player and person, and really wanted to see what the offense would look like with he, Diggs, and Cole.

Though I can’t say that it doesn’t make sense. As crazy as this is to say, after the strides Davis took, this is one of the strongest positional groups in the whole league, and his contract had to go given the new cap situation.

Safe travels, Smoke. Blessed journey.

• Like 7

Too bad on Brown but had to happen.  Given he's turning 31, not sure it made sense to extend him to lower the number, especially given how much talent will be available in FA.

• Like 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Too bad on Brown but had to happen.  Given he's turning 31, not sure it made sense to extend him to lower the number, especially given how much talent will be available in FA.

I think the emergence of Gabe Davis, Josh’s obvious growth in confidence in him as the season went on, and Diggs’ ability to take the top of the defense were the final nails in his coffin.

I love Brown, but even in an alternative universe with no COVID impacts I think Brown was always going to be a cap casualty.

• Like 2

Yes, the lower cap will put a lot of players into free agency all over the league.  Will be both painful and provide opportunities for many teams. 

John Brown was certainly an important player on the team over the past couple years.  The receiver group was pretty mediocre prior to 2019.  He'll land on his feet. 

• Like 3

And so it begins.
JB gave us 2 good years while battling injury. I wanted him before Baltimore picked him up. He's getting up there in age and this was an expected cap causality. Good luck to you in you're future John Brown(with the except against the Bills caveat)..

• Like 3

Deranged Rhino

Bummer to see Smoke go, but it felt like it was inevitable for the past few months along with MM. I wish him nothing but the best wherever he lands (but when he faces the Bills of course). It's also a bummer to see the cap figure come in under 185, was hoping for more cushion. 

Between Brown and Jefferson's departures, and Butler/Morse's restructure, the Bills are sitting with somewhere between 13-14m in cap space, right? Not sure that's enough to keep Mongo and Williams while also addressing the TE and pass rushing needs. 

Gonna be interesting to see BB navigate this off season, but it's a relief to have confidence that he and the front office are up to the challenge. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not sure that's enough to keep Mongo and Williams while also addressing the TE and pass rushing needs. 

I really wish I had more confidence in Knox.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mahoney said:

I really wish I had more confidence in Knox.

Yes, but now that they've stuck with him for two years, are they really going to sit him on the bench for a mid-tier/not cheap FA?

My guess (and hope) is they invest the few available $ on the OL/DL and go with Knox this year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yes, but now that they've stuck with him for two years, are they really going to sit him on the bench for a mid-tier/not cheap FA?

The only FA TE I want is Jonnu Smith, but someone will grossly overpay for him. He was unstoppable the first 3-4 games last season. I'm not sure why, but Tennessee stopped targeting him after Week 4. I do think he'd be our #1 TE, but 2-TE schemes could be just what Knox needs to thrive.

Maybe they have a draft plan for the trenches? 🤷‍♂️ I'm so glad we have a coaching staff I trust for once. I'm not worried at all.

IIRC, a slew of deals was reported last year on the Thursday before the "legal tampering period." We'll know soon enough!

Edited by Mahoney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

My guess (and hope) is they invest the few available $ on the OL/DL and go with Knox this year.

I would assume this if Beane wasn't so blunt about how the TE position performed at his end of year press conference.  I'd prefer a 2nd tier TE free agent like Jacob Hollister or Trey Burton.

If the Bills do go the 1st tier FA route, Hunter Henry would be the only TE I'm interested in.  Very good blocker that can help our RB production, excellent hands, makes contested catches, and has a knack for finding a soft spot in the defense.  He's the only sure upgrade over Knox as far as I can see.

Not a Juunu Smith fan (too inconsistent like Knox), Ertz fan (too much of a risk with his age and injuries), Rudolph (old and slow, below average blocker), or Everett (horrible blocker).

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like 1