Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Off road vehicles being run on the road (among other inappropriate places)

RochesterRob

RochesterRob

Rochester news outlets have been increasing coverage in the past couple of days on this problem.  Yes, a problem when vehicles such as ATV's and dirt bikes are run on streets where they are not intended to be.  Never mind not following laws concerning operation for any vehicle on a recognized road by town, county, or state.  Then there are those who run such vehicles as it benefits a criminal enterprise such as theft.  It gets worse when such operators blatantly disregard private property and an owner's right to refuse passage of such vehicles.  There are many property owners on this site and would be interested in hearing what their concerns and solutions are.  In some ways this should be on the politics board here as politics is derived from policy.  Policy obviously needs to shift on this as whether it be in the city limits of Rochester (or Buffalo) or out deep into the country offenders seldom are confronted due to what is considered a light weight offense by law enforcement.  Not a sexy topic like talking about Biden or Harris but maybe should be on the Politics side here.  I would guess that it has more direct impact at the moment for many here.  

I sympathize.  Come to Brooklyn.

E-bikes, electric scooters, regular bikes, moron Uber drivers who don't know the neighborhood, rideshare scooters left anywhere people dump them and thirtysomething hipster skateboarders (who are deluded enough to think they look cool riding a skateboard).

The grubhub e-bike delivery guys are going to get someone killed.

People want to "Share the road", they should be forced to get licenses and obey the laws.  Hell, I'm surprised deBlasio hasn't adopted this policy.  The City would make a mint on licensing fees and summonses.  But no, he adopted "vision zero" which focuses solely, and puts the blame on, cars.

HAHA, I just realized how ironic a deBlasio policy called "vision zero" is! HAHAHAHA!!!

Edited by snafu
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Rochester news outlets have been increasing coverage in the past couple of days on this problem.  Yes, a problem when vehicles such as ATV's and dirt bikes are run on streets where they are not intended to be.  Never mind not following laws concerning operation for any vehicle on a recognized road by town, county, or state.  Then there are those who run such vehicles as it benefits a criminal enterprise such as theft.  It gets worse when such operators blatantly disregard private property and an owner's right to refuse passage of such vehicles.  There are many property owners on this site and would be interested in hearing what their concerns and solutions are.  In some ways this should be on the politics board here as politics is derived from policy.  Policy obviously needs to shift on this as whether it be in the city limits of Rochester (or Buffalo) or out deep into the country offenders seldom are confronted due to what is considered a light weight offense by law enforcement.  Not a sexy topic like talking about Biden or Harris but maybe should be on the Politics side here.  I would guess that it has more direct impact at the moment for many here.  

Albany area has been having a problem with them for the past couple years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snafu said:

I sympathize.  Come to Brooklyn.

E-bikes, electric scooters, regular bikes, moron Uber drivers who don't know the neighborhood, rideshare scooters left anywhere people dump them and thirtysomething hipster skateboarders (who are deluded enough to think they look cool riding a skateboard).

The grubhub e-bike delivery guys are going to get someone killed.

People want to "Share the road", they should be forced to get licenses and obey the laws.  Hell, I'm surprised deBlasio hasn't adopted this policy.  The City would make a mint on licensing fees and summonses.  But no, he adopted "vision zero" which focuses solely, and puts the blame on, cars.

HAHA, I just realized how ironic a deBlasio policy called "vision zero" is! HAHAHAHA!!!

I hate driving through Brooklyn streets.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

When I lived in th SF Bay area, a member of the Spandex Mafia got charged with vehicular homicide in SF for barreling  down a hill  and killing a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

It gets worse when such operators blatantly disregard private property and an owner's right to refuse passage of such vehicles.  There are many property owners on this site and would be interested in hearing what their concerns and solutions are.

image.jpeg.0a5ae9f30bc5476c26005612e79d283b.jpeg

• Like 2

You never want to move to a gated Florida community. The golf carts were always "fun" to drive around.

I will say that the farm vehicles are usually pretty good up in Niagara County about driving as far into the breakdown lane as possible so cars can drive around them.  The ATVers are :badwords:. They don't care where they drive (through fields, crops, hunting land, the roads), or what they tear-up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
RochesterRob

Another weekend in Rochester, NY with mini-bikes and ATV's running on city streets.  Another weekend with the mayor and city council indifferent to the problem.  The few reports I hear indicate the problem is pushing closer to the city limits.  When the offenders are clamped down upon in Brighton, Perinton, Pittsford, etc. will the howls of racism air soon after?