Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Garbage Plate meat sauce recipes?

Just Jack

So, doing some really early planning.  My wife family is doing a week long vacation in the Outer Banks next year.  Each night a different family prepares dinner for the whole group.  I've already suggested doing deconstructed garbage plates.  Basically have all the fixings so if people want to make one they can, but I know I'll be the only one mixing everything together.  So for the sauce, I was thinking of going simple, some finely ground beef with a Manwich/Sloppy Joe sauce.  I want to keep it simple, possibly something I can make at home, bring it with us, then just reheat it.  

Any suggestions on a recipe or something I can add to my simple idea? I don't need it to be exactly like Tahoe's or the other places. Just passable since I may be the only one eating it. 

8 hours ago, Just Jack said:

So, doing some really early planning.  My wife family is doing a week long vacation in the Outer Banks next year.  Each night a different family prepares dinner for the whole group.  I've already suggested doing deconstructed garbage plates.  Basically have all the fixings so if people want to make one they can, but I know I'll be the only one mixing everything together.  So for the sauce, I was thinking of going simple, some finely ground beef with a Manwich/Sloppy Joe sauce.  I want to keep it simple, possibly something I can make at home, bring it with us, then just reheat it.  

Any suggestions on a recipe or something I can add to my simple idea? I don't need it to be exactly like Tahoe's or the other places. Just passable since I may be the only one eating it. 

I would think the sloppy joe sauce would be too sweet. If you did go with that, you might want to incorporate some cayenne to add some heat and also some cooked down onions and garlic.

Edited by LB3

9 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Stromboli? 

Just Joshin

Wegman's(and sure others) has a Texas meat sauce dry mix that you add the beef to make a hot dog meat sauce.  Not real spicy but would work for a garbage plate.

Not sure why it is called Texas sauce but have never seen that type of sauce in Texas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Just Joshin said:

Wegman's(and sure others) has a Texas meat sauce dry mix that you add the beef to make a hot dog meat sauce.  Not real spicy but would work for a garbage plate.

Not sure why it is called Texas sauce but have never seen that type of sauce in Texas.

Thanks.  That got me thinking of just going with a chili sauce.  I'll look into your meat sauce mix too. 

CarpetCrawler

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
  • salt to taste

I've never made it, but it comes from a trusted source and I've eaten it more than a few times and love it.

Instructions

1. ln a large skillet, over medium heat fry onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add meat and  periodically stir to break up any clumps of beef. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
  2. Once the meat is cooked through, add beef broth, tomato paste and brown sugar. Simmer 10 minutes. 
  3. Add the other ingredients and simmer 1 hour, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep it moist, but avoid adding too much and letting the sauce get soupy. You could always add a little ketchup to thicken it the end.

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't have a recipe, but when my family used to get together on Outer Banks we followed the same "one night, you cook" strategy. It works great.

It sounds hard , but we always roasted a couple of turkeys.

😀:thanksgiving_dinner:

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

I don't have a recipe, but when my family used to get together on Outer Banks we followed the same "one night, you cook" strategy. It works great.

It sounds hard , but we always roasted a couple of turkeys.

😀:thanksgiving_dinner:

Well, we'll be cooking for about 40, so trying to keep it simple works best.  

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
  • salt to taste

I've never made it, but it comes from a trusted source and I've eaten it more than a few times and love it.

Instructions

1. ln a large skillet, over medium heat fry onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add meat and  periodically stir to break up any clumps of beef. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
  2. Once the meat is cooked through, add beef broth, tomato paste and brown sugar. Simmer 10 minutes. 
  3. Add the other ingredients and simmer 1 hour, adding more beef broth if necessary to keep it moist, but avoid adding too much and letting the sauce get soupy. You could always add a little ketchup to thicken it the end.

Thanks, I think I saw that or similar recipes.  I think with all the seasonings, I could pre-mix those to bring with me. 

• Like 3

CarpetCrawler
Just now, Just Jack said:

Thanks, I think I saw that or similar recipes.  I think with all the seasonings, I could pre-mix those to bring with me. 

definitely, just throw it all in a zip-lock baggie, you could even cook the meat, onions and garlic ahead of time and take it in a cooler. good luck :thumb:

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 9:30 AM, Just Joshin said:

Would guess that it's because it makes the sauce that goes on Louie's (or Lucky's) "Texas red hots."  So named for their size and not originating in Texas.  The "Texas" red hot is a Buffalo thing.  Having lived in Texas; people in Texas have never heard of them.  

Edited by Taro T

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 5/20/2021 at 11:27 PM, Just Jack said:

There’s a Rhode Island regional meat sauce called Dynamites. I’ve live all over the country, and have never seen it anywhere else. It’s fantastic, give it a try.

Here’s a very basic recipe you can tweak and play with.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/mom-s-dynamite-sandwiches/

On 5/23/2021 at 2:29 PM, Just Jack said:

Well, we'll be cooking for about 40, so trying to keep it simple works best.