Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Training Camp Starts Wednesday, July 28th

Ann

Alaska Darin
On 8/7/2021 at 6:55 AM, Spartacus said:

maybe with some quality coaching, you are seeing the real Trubisky

Most QBs are ruined by bad coaching/front offices.  It's just an inarguable fact.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Peter King has a very long article about the teams and where they are headed. He lists it as camps, so I am putting it here. (On the sidebar click Buffalo Camp). The Buffalo portion is quite long. He does harp on the two KC games for Josh but they do need to figure out the KC defense.

Bills Pass Rush + Josh Allen’s Next Step

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Can I apologize in advance for something? I go to all these training camps, and before I arrive, I think of the biggest story of camp. Here, in the land of the table-crashers and the home of the Bills, that story is certainly, Has GM Brandon Beane done enough for the pass-rush to put salve on the team’s only real major negative? In the last two drafts, the Bills have had a total of three picks in the first two round, and each has been used on a pass-rusher—A.J. Epenesa last year (then limited by Covid), Gregory Rousseau and Boogie Basham this year.

FMIA Quiz: Who led the Bills in sacks last year?

I’ll give you a clue: Unless you’re a Bills Mafioso, you’ll never get it. Mario Addison and A.J. Klein tied for the lead, with five. They’re 33 and 30 this year, by the way.

Last year, in two meetings against the kingpins of the AFC, Kansas City, the Bills sacked Patrick Mahomes twice for minus-four yards. He threw five TDs with no picks. He was comfortable, passing for a combined 128.0 rating and winning by 14 and nine points. KC’s the Mount Olympus of the conference, built to last.

The Bills have built a very good team, the best here in a quarter-century, and optimism here is ridiculously high. But . . . there is a but. “We gotta be able to rush the passer better, and we knew that,” coach Sean McDermott said to me here. “Will we? I don’t think we know yet.”

That is the priority in camp. While Rousseau is still getting his feet wet in only his second season as a pass-rusher, I heard good things about Basham (57 tackles behind the line in four Wake Forest seasons) in camp. “His inside-outside versatility’s been impressive,” Beane said. We shall see.

So a few sentences ago I apologized, and here’s the reason. It’d have been good and understandable to write everything here about the pass-rush, and to dissect what I saw from the three kids and from the 33-year-old vet, Jerry Hughes, who the team hopes to get another good season out of. But there’s something else that interested me a bit more, and I apologized because I’ve been over-writing the quarterback. It seems to be a story in almost every camp I’ve attended.

</snip>

• Cheers 1

Josh Allen, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley frustrate Bills defense on day 15 of camp (8 observations)

Orchard Park, N.Y. — Josh Allen couldn’t miss at the start of practice on Tuesday. He completed the first 15 passes he threw and orchestrated a seven-play touchdown drive capped by a perfect pass to second-year receiver Gabriel Davis.

When shooters start making shots on the basketball court the customary saying is that he or she is “making it rain.” That’s what it felt like for Allen, only it was the way he was throwing the football. Ironically enough, just as he finished his work during the team portion of practice was winding down it started to pour.

Allen’s electric run of 15 straight completions included connections with Cole Beasley (6), Emmanuel Sanders (4), Davis (2), Jacob Hollister and Devin Singletary. Beasley was all over the field and it didn’t matter who the Bills tried to use (Tremaine Edmunds and Taron Johnson did their best), the veteran slot receiver got open and made catches.

Sanders had his best practice to date in a Buffalo Bills uniform. He looked explosive, firing off the line of scrimmage into his routes. Two of his catches were next level, including a focus catch on a tipped pass by Taron Johnson and then a deep middle route where Allen hit him in stride.

Davis’ touchdown catch was signature Davis. He found a way to get open and offer Allen a chance to make a play. The quarterback slung it in there and Davis made the contested catch in a battle against Levi Wallace.

The offense was going so well that the defense was noticeably frustrated. Tre’Davious White walked slowly off the field at one point and stood away from the rest of the defense in what seemed like frustration. Edmunds gave Beasley an extra-hard shot at the end of one of his catches that Beasley didn’t seem to like.

Here are some more observations from Tuesday’s practice. ...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Bills training camp is a wrap, but they're not finished with preseason prep yet. The squad still has a few more weeks of practices before their Week 1 home opener against the Steelers.

In 15 practices and one preseason game, several players had performances worthy of praise. From the offense to the defense, here are our 2021 training camp awards.

</snip>

• Like 3