Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Should the Bills sign a veteran CB to compete with Levi Wallace?

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

image.jpeg.7716771b77565497b181722c5b907e2b.jpeg

It’s been a ritual every offseason for the past few years: the Buffalo Bills bring in someone to push incumbent CB2 starter Levi Wallace to start outside All-Pro CB Tre’Davious White.

On a team that has serious Super Bowl aspirations, that second starting cornerback job is one of the few areas where Buffalo could still upgrade its roster. On the latest episode of the Billieve Podcast, hosts John Boccacino and Jamie D’Amico discuss whether the Bills should consider signing a veteran free agent to compete with Wallace for that role.

Names like Kevin Johnson, Josh Norman and E.J. Gaines have signed with the Bills each offseason, hoping to steal the starter’s role from Wallace, but Wallace has withstood every challenge and enters the 2021 season as Buffalo’s starting CB2.

After breaking down the pros and cons of Wallace’s game, Boccacino and D’Amico run through the top veteran free agents on the market, names like Richard Sherman, Steven Nelson, Gareon Conley, D.J. Hayden, and Daryl Worley.

Regardless of whether any of those names are better than Wallace, our podcasters agree on one thing: With the pass-heavy nature of today’s NFL, the Bills would be wise to thoroughly examine signing more depth at cornerback, especially if anything were to happen to White or Wallace,

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/6/28/22552914/billieve-should-bills-sign-a-veteran-cb-to-compete-with-levi-wallace-richard-sherman-steven-nelson

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like 1

Absolutely should be as much competition as possible.

I imagine that the Front office has their eyes on possible cuts and free agents from around the league.

• Like 2

I'm more concerned about what happens if Wallace or White has to miss significant time due to injury. I know you can't have pro bowl back ups at every position, but it would be nice to have a capable veteran who could step up in a pinch.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Absolutely should be as much competition as possible.

I imagine that the Front office has their eyes on possible cuts and free agents from around the league.

Always. 

1 hour ago, Robs House said:

I'm more concerned about what happens if Wallace or White has to miss significant time due to injury. I know you can't have pro bowl back ups at every position, but it would be nice to have a capable veteran who could step up in a pinch.

Bite your tongue! This team is going to be healthy and happy on their way to winning the Super Bowl.  :cheer2:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ann said:

Always. 

Bite your tongue! This team is going to be healthy and happy on their way to winning the Super Bowl.  :cheer2:

I hope you're right, Pom Pom Girl. 

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

One of the things Beane has done extraordinary well is flood the roster with excess talent. If the right player is available at the right price, Beane will bring them in.

At this point, however, most of the bigger unsigned FAs out there are waiting for early season injuries to open up roster spots, and will hand pick their destination at that point.

• Like 2

They should bring in a vet, at least for a camp body or as injury insurance. 
But IMO, a better pass rush should take a lot of pressure off the LBs and the DBs, like when Schwartz was here. 

• Like 1

Just Joshin

I was in the draft a CB high camp.  Yes, bring in a vet but I do not see a vet where the cost and talent align.  If the prices drop as camp get closer, go for it.

I suspect Wallace keeps his job this year and Jackson is the starter next year.

• Like 1