Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

AFC East QBs offer promise, but Buffalo Bills are clear 2021 favorite

You Dirty Rat

You Dirty Rat

Upping the tempo could present opportunity for Bills' Brian Daboll | Buffalo  Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com

Last year at this time, the question was if the Buffalo Bills were primed to snap the New England **Patriots' hold on the AFC East. The Bills answered that decisively.

In fact, the Bills didn't just prove to be the new kings of the division the **Patriots had dominated for nearly two decades when they won 17 of 19 titles. Coach Sean McDermott's Buffalo squad also showed it is a force to contend with in the AFC, advancing to the conference title game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

So it's the Bills who enter 2021 as the favorite in the AFC East, and now there are different types of questions being asked. Coach Brian Flores' Miami Dolphins are all-in on second-year quarterback Tua Tagovailoa -- for better or worse -- as they hope to build on last year's second-place divisional finish. Coach Bill Belichick's **Patriots aim to return to prominence, spending big in the offseason in hopes of 2020 representing a one-year blip.

And the New York Jets, who at 10 seasons have the longest playoff drought in the NFL, have breathed new life into the franchise with the hire of upbeat coach Robert Saleh and the selection of BYU quarterback Zach Wilson at No. 2 overall in the 2021 NFL draft.

Here are three of the more compelling questions facing the AFC East, with ESPN NFL Nation reporters Marcel Louis-Jacques (Bills), Cameron Wolfe (Dolphins), Mike Reiss (**Patriots) and Rich Cimini (Jets) providing answers:

How far ahead of the pack are the Bills?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31740344/afc-east-qbs-offer-promise-buffalo-bills-clear-2021-favorite

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like 2

I'd rate the QBs:

1. Allen
2. Trubisky
3. Cam
4. Tua
5-6 and the new guys

I just do not see "it" with Tua. He may surprise me, but I think Miami screwed up when they didn't take Herbert (thank goodness). 

Cam is on his last legs (no pun intended). Unless he has a major comeback, I expect to see Mac Jones at some point this year.

Zach Wilson and Mac Jones are rookie QBs. Since they have not played an NFL down they are TBD. Even if they are terrific, it is unlikely they lead either team to the playoffs this year.

The Bills are the best in the AFCE with the best QB(s) in the division, and so it remains until someone can topple them. 

• Like 1

I can see Cam starting out really well for the first half of the season,

but then a major drop-off back to his 2020 performance.

Fortunately we don't face the *Patriots until then  😃

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

I can see Cam starting out really well for the first half of the season,

but then a major drop-off back to his 2020 performance.

Fortunately we don't face the **Patriots until then  😃

What makes you think he'll be better for the start of 2021 than he was in 2020?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ann said:

What makes you think he'll be better for the start of 2021 than he was in 2020?

Just a hunch.

In my experience, thats how these things usually go.

• Like 1