Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Diet/Exercise Thread

Alaska Darin

Jabba The Hutt
5 minutes ago, Ann said:

Coffee and alchohol are two of my three main food groups! :wine:

I haven't been able to drink coffee over the past 5 years. Absolutely decimated my Adrenal glands with the caffeine from energy drinks mainly. I'll feel it in my chest if I have even a sip of coffee. Had to give up alcohol for the same reason:crying3:

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Wow 2

47 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

I haven't been able to drink coffee over the past 5 years. Absolutely decimated my Adrenal glands with the caffeine from energy drinks mainly. I'll feel it in my chest if I have even a sip of coffee. Had to give up alcohol for the same reason:crying3:

:hug:

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

I try to eat a heavy protein diet with some vegetables, carbs, and ice cream thrown in to balance it out. I find it's a good way to maintain lean muscle mass.

Of course, I've been out of the gym for a few weeks to let my shoulders heal, and have consequently increased the ice cream intake without a corresponding cut to any other food group.

I'd tried all the diets over the years with the typical result.  Initial success followed by ultimate weight gain before trying the next recommended diet and starting the cycle all over again.  That was until I stopped following the news, books, blogs or what my buddy at the gym extolled as the best way to go about things and dove into the nutrition literature instead.  After doing that it was clear that whole food plant based eating was my best shot at losing weight AND long term health.  Almost four years later I have kept off the almost 50 lbs lost and I don't even have to think about what I eat or worry about feeling hungry.  Multiple chronic dietary conditions have been completely reversed without drugs.

I'd strongly recommend those doing a keto diet to take a deeper dive into the literature.  All diets will work if you follow them as prescribed and weight loss is your only marker for success.  The following video summarizes some of the keto diet studies that have been done and it's certainly eye opening, but what it doesn't touch on and what to me is most worrisome about ketogenic diets is the lack of fiber.  Fiber is a crucial component of our gut health and overall health through the microbiome.  Something upwards of 90% of Americans are deficient in daily RDA for fiber.  Yet all we seem to obsess over is limiting carbs and maximizing protein. 

• Love 2

Alaska Darin

https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/full-article/epidemiological-studies

Let's just say I've done quite a bit of reading...and virtually nothing that's being sold to you as "how you should eat" is anything beyond a marketing gimmick that's bought and paid for.

"When nutritional epidemiology hypotheses are later put to the test in clinical trials, they have been shown to be wrong at least 80% of the time."

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 6:45 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I've worked out for years and have had the "decent" success maintaining my physique despite the normal challenges of "liking food" and "getting older".

I've been reading/listening to a variety of different sources about essentially going back to an "ancestral diet", which is a nice way of saying..."just eat meat".  About a month ago I decided to give it a go.  Meat of any kind, eggs, and cheese are all fine.  I've not eaten "much" cheese but I eat at least a couple of pounds of meat each day and 3 to 6 eggs.

4 weeks in and a couple weeks past the 3ish days of "Keto Flu", I have to say...it's been insanely effective.  I've lost 14 pounds of straight fat and my energy levels are off the chart.  I only eat when I'm hungry, which is once or twice per day, so intermittent fasting is a breeze.  I got my blood tested before starting and it was all in the "normal range" and will do that again in another week and intermittently over the next year.

Open kimono:  I don't really like veggies, so giving that up wasn't difficult at all.  I miss fruit sometimes and will likely at times treat myself to some berries because life is still worth living.  I have cheated once...I had some pizza last weekend.  That was great when I was eating it...but I paid for it quite a bit for about the 24 hours following.  Pretty listless and a lot of gastrointestinal distress.

Link to one of the studies:

https://www.doctortro.com/do-athletes-need-carbs/

It's clearly not for everyone...but I gotta tell you...so far I love it.

the ancestral diet of man did not only include meat.

meat was not readily available

early man ate all kinds of green stuff 

which , by the way, is what the animals eat and why grass fed beef is good for you

the omega-3to omega-6 ratio for grass fed meat is about 1 to1- which the proper balance.

Omega 6 in factory meat is 15 -20x higher than for grass fed.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, Alaska Darin said:

I don't really like veggies, so giving that up wasn't difficult at all. 

Funny veggie story.

When my wife and I first started dating in SoCal 25+ years ago, I invited her to my apartment to cook her dinner and hopefully have our first roll in the hay with each other. I found an easy recipe of pasta, tomatoes, garlic, basil and asparagus tips.  I never had asparagus, but, y'know, it looked really good on the recipe card.

Dinner was so good, we DID roll in the hay for the first time. Around 3 a.m. I go to the bathroom, and I don't know what the hell is happening to my body, but my piss smelled like death. There was only one explanation, and she was sleeping in my bed. Bitch gave me cooties.

She ultimately thought it was funny when I told her what happened. Just not at first. 

• Haha 2

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

Funny veggie story.

When my wife and I first started dating in SoCal 25+ years ago, I invited her to my apartment to cook her dinner and hopefully have our first roll in the hay with each other. I found an easy recipe of pasta, tomatoes, garlic, basil and asparagus tips.  I never had asparagus, but, y'know, it looked really good on the recipe card.

Dinner was so good, we DID roll in the hay for the first time. Around 3 a.m. I go to the bathroom, and I don't know what the hell is happening to my body, but my piss smelled like death. There was only one explanation, and she was sleeping in my bed. Bitch gave me cooties.

She ultimately thought it was funny when I told her what happened. Just not at first. 

Eating asparagus produces very pungent smelling pee but it's worth the dining experience.  

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Eating asparagus produces very pungent smelling pee but it's worth the dining experience.  

Information I could have used about 25 years ago. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2021 at 6:41 PM, IDBillzFan said:

Information I could have used about 25 years ago. :classic_biggrin:

My wife loves that I yell” yep, had asparagus for dinner” when I pee after a good meal with asparagus! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2021 at 11:11 PM, Jabba The Hutt said:

Went on a plant based diet after heart issues at an extremely young age. Tried to stick to a fruit diet as well as I could. Occasional cheats. Intermittent fasting as well. Lost 225 pounds in less than 6 months with zero exercise. Best part was I finally felt satiated.

If I had gone keto, I would've given myself a heart attack.

Congrats on finding a solution that works for you. I also went on a plant-based diet roughly 10 years ago initially as a way to make things easier, less tempting for my family who were trying a 30-day detox at the time. Stuck with it ever since!

Anyway congrats on your achievement, that's incredible! Nice to encounter a fellow plant-based eater here and there.

• Love 2

On 7/29/2021 at 10:02 AM, NCBillsFan said:

I'd tried all the diets over the years with the typical result.  Initial success followed by ultimate weight gain before trying the next recommended diet and starting the cycle all over again.  That was until I stopped following the news, books, blogs or what my buddy at the gym extolled as the best way to go about things and dove into the nutrition literature instead.  After doing that it was clear that whole food plant based eating was my best shot at losing weight AND long term health.  Almost four years later I have kept off the almost 50 lbs lost and I don't even have to think about what I eat or worry about feeling hungry.  Multiple chronic dietary conditions have been completely reversed without drugs.

I'd strongly recommend those doing a keto diet to take a deeper dive into the literature.  All diets will work if you follow them as prescribed and weight loss is your only marker for success.  The following video summarizes some of the keto diet studies that have been done and it's certainly eye opening, but what it doesn't touch on and what to me is most worrisome about ketogenic diets is the lack of fiber.  Fiber is a crucial component of our gut health and overall health through the microbiome.  Something upwards of 90% of Americans are deficient in daily RDA for fiber.  Yet all we seem to obsess over is limiting carbs and maximizing protein. 

Fantastic. It's awesome to hear of all the different paths people are led down as they discover plant-based eating. I've also exclusively been eating that way for nearly 10 years, but you have me beat as far as the whole food classification. I still like plant-based junk food 🤫 But my problem has always been adding weight - fast metabolism, for now.

Congratulations though, thanks for sharing!

• Cheers 1