Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Classic Television

RochesterRob

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 9/9/2023 at 6:16 PM, Taro T said:

WKRP in Cincinnati and SOAP were 2 of the funniest shows in TV history and still get a kick out of both.  Both ended their runs way too soon.  (Both only lasted 4 seasons,)

I wish I could find the original WKRP anywhere.  That and Moonlighting - the licensing for the music basically prevents any syndication nowadays.

Channel 29 showed some other non-US syndicated shows that were fun too - Dave Allen at Large and Bizarre (which is where the Super Dave Osborne character started out).

Really?  All I remember Channel 29 showing is Three's Company.

Used to be the after-school thing.  Get home at 3:30, watch Three's Company until 7:30.  Four hours, five days a week, of "There was a misunderstanding, isn't it funny?"  God, I hated that show.

2 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Used to be the after-school thing.  Get home at 3:30, watch Three's Company until 7:30.  Four hours, five days a week, of "There was a misunderstanding, isn't it funny?"  God, I hated that show.

6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I wish I could find the original WKRP anywhere.  That and Moonlighting - the licensing for the music basically prevents any syndication nowadays.

They released the full series about 4 years ago on DVD.  Not ENTIRELY the original music but close.  Even Elton John's Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer doesn't get bastardized into Hold Me Closer Terrible Dresser.

Floyd's Dogs doesn't show up on the greatest episode of all time, but they do include a track close enough that Carlson can still ask Johnny "Do I hear dogs barking?"  With the classic reply "I do."  The only part of that bit that they drop is the Big Guy asking the name of the orchestra.

Would estimate at least 90, maybe 95% of the original music is used.  Hot Blooded when Les is getting ready for his date with Jennifer.  The Who songs on the Veterans Day episode.  It still ends up in Walmart's DVD section every now and then so you should be able to find it on E-bay in a worst case.

And the Channel 29 good shows came on around 11PM.  You weren't going to catch Dave Allen at Large after school.

WKRP in Cincinnati and SOAP were 2 of the funniest shows in TV history and still get a kick out of both.  Both ended their runs way too soon.  (Both only lasted 4 seasons,)

Cheers has to be my favorite long running show (11 seasons and 200+ episodes count as a long run IMHO).  Liked the rest of the "Best Night of TV on TV" as well.  At least the early seasons of all those shows, but they definitely all (except for HSB) went downhill after the 1st few years.  (Cosby Show, Buffalo Bill, Family Ties, Night Court, & Hill Street Blues.  Well, HSB went downhill when it was replaced by LA Law. :classic_sad:)

As a kid, probably saw every Gilligan's Island rerun at least 20 times and every Star Trek rerun nearly that often.  Watched a lot of Match Game '7x after school as a kid until they moved it's start time to be too early while we were still in school.  Get Smart reruns were fun too.

For dramas, Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere were both great.  Only have the 1st season of St. Elsewhere on DVD.  Need to get the rest of it one of these days.

In the 90's, it was Bundy's (aka Married with Children) though that series definitely had a couple of clunker seasons (when they had 7 living with them and when Peg was preggers specifically).  In the Aughts liked My Name is Earl.

A few others from childhood were Barney Miller, The Odd Couple, and the Rockford Files.

Liked M*A*S*H and most of the Norman Lear series as a kid, but except for the 1st ~5 seasons of M*A*S*H can't say any of them hold up well.

Channel 29 showed some other non-US syndicated shows that were fun too - Dave Allen at Large and Bizarre (which is where the Super Dave Osborne character started out).

My childhood as well. As far the neighbors to the north add The Red Green Show and Beachcombers. For USA shows throw in Jeffersons, Good Times, All in the family reruns as well. 

• Like 2

There were so many shows we watched regularly as kids in '70s;  I liked 'em all:

All in the Family

Happy Days

Good Times

Kojak

Hawaii Five-O

WKRP

Starsky & Hutch

Lost in Space -- Danger Will Robinson!!!

Batman

Dallas -- I still have the hots for Victoria Principal

Carol Burnett Show -- even as kids we appreciated the sketch comedy

Game shows -- too many to list

Ones I watched in the 80s/90s:

Cheers

Wings

Night Court

The Wonder Years

Late Night with David Letterman -- Hilarious in the early days

Seinfeld -- Still watch these frequently

Fraiser

Simpsons

Law & Order -- I still watch the reruns from the first dozen seasons or so

Melrose Place -- this is the kind of crap you watch in your 20s with your girlfriend.

Big shows that didn't resonate with me so rarely/never watched:

Cosby (and spinoffs)

Hill Street Blues

ER (or any other medical dramas)

Home Improvement

Roseanne 

Murphy Brown

The Left Wing

Literally every major network show started in the last 25 years.

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

There were so many shows we watched regularly as kids in '70s;  I liked 'em all:

All in the Family

Happy Days

Good Times

Kojak

Hawaii Five-O

WKRP

Starsky & Hutch

Batman

Cheers

Wings

Night Court

I just found out Night Court is on Freevie.  

30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Of course.  The Jerry Orbach years.  

31 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Melrose Place -- this is the kind of crap you watch in your 20s with your girlfriend.

Between that and Beverly Hills 90210, thank God I was irretrievably single during the '90s.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

I wish somebody would run Hill Street Blues and St Elsewhere today.  Hill Street was a man's man show but while I was in college everybody gathered around the television for St Elsewhere including the alleged television haters.  Life could be so stressful for me at that time in my life I needed a little television to blow off some stream.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

All in the Family

Happy Days

Good Times

Kojak

Hawaii Five-O

WKRP

Starsky & Hutch

Batman

Cheers

Wings

Night Court

The Wonder Years

Late Night with David Letterman -- Hilarious in the early days

Seinfeld -- Still watch these frequently

Fraiser

Simpsons

Big shows that didn't resonate with me so rarely/never watched:

Cosby (and spinoffs)

Hill Street Blues

ER (or any other medical dramas)

Home Improvement

Roseanne 

Murphy Brown

The Left Wing

Literally every major network show started in the last 25 years.

Batman reruns and Carol Burnett - 2 great calls.

Loved Channel 2's afternoon Monster Movie week too that they ran once or twice / year.  But still am ticked that it was scheduled the same week as the Watergate hearings back in the day.  No Godzilla that year.  :classic_sad:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Loved Channel 2's afternoon Monster Movie week too that they ran once or twice / year.  But still am ticked that it was scheduled the same week as the Watergate hearings back in the day.  No Godzilla that year.  :classic_sad:

I was in elementary school while the Watergate hearings went on.  Came in the house at 4 in the afternoon one day looking for Gilligan and got my first taste of congressional hearings.  Then to see commentator Eric Sevareid who's face scared the crap out of me.  Embarrassed to say this now but as a kid I thought the evening news would never stop leading with the Vietnam War.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Afternoon TV was a whole list by itself;  Aside from Lost in Space and Batman there was The Munsters, Gillian’s Island, Bewitched, Adams Family, Brady Bunch, The Monkees, etc.  Not many Emmy winners in there but appealing light humor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Afternoon TV was a whole list by itself;  Aside from Lost in Space and Batman there was The Munsters, Gillian’s Island, Bewitched, Adams Family, Brady Bunch, The Monkees, etc.  Not many Emmy winners in there but appealing light humor.

The Rochester stations kept things quite light.  Somebody would try to run the Wild Wild West or Batman for a few weeks but then was pulled for (implied) violence.  

• Facepalm 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Munsters > Addams Family

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Boo 1

15 hours ago, snafu said:

Munsters > Addams Family

image.png.119ad5c194b42a173611d2ace2fc591d.png

The Munsters did have the triplets of Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis and the spectacularly beautiful and sexy Yvonne de Carlo, but the deeper cast, more subtle humor and stylish Gomez/Morticia pairing gives the edge to The Addams Family IMO.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Cheers 2

Sky King

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Kookla, Fran, and Ollie

The Little Rascals

The Three Stooges

Superman

Winky Dink

Hop-along Cassidy

The Lone Ranger 

Rin Tin Tin

The Roy Rogers Show

The Cisco Kid and Pancho

The Rifleman

Have Gun Will Travel

The Old Ranger’s Tales of the Old West

Sid Caesar’s Show of Shows

The Red Skelton Hour 

Ted Mack’s Amateur Hour

Queen for a Day

McHale’s Navy

F Troop

Hogan’s Heroes

Car 54 Where Are You

Sgt. Bilko

Leave it to Beaver

The Danny Thomas Show

Dragnet

Highway Patrol

OMG, I forgot Combat. (Musta lost my head) apologies to Vic Morrow and his family. 

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Green Acres < Beverly Hillbillies

I was never big on BH but that is me.  We all have different tastes and different senses of humor.  For me the best "rural 1960's comedy" is Gomer Pyle, USMC.  Sure, it has a fairly high cull rate of poor episodes but in line with the rest of those shows.  But GP seldom hit the extreme of awful absurdity that most of the others did.  Oliver Douglas digging up acres and acres of seed to return to Drucker's to get a different crop seed.  Most seeds for agriculture are planted by the 10's of thousands per acre.  It makes me tired just thinking about such a task never mind doing it.  Never mind nobody in their right mind would take back seed once it had been placed in the ground.  I don't think that in NY you could resell such seed legally.  Watch GP's "The Price of Tomatoes" if you want a good laugh wrapped around farming and skip everything else.  Bonus being you get Denver Pyle as the guest character whose biggest claim to fame is playing a similar character in Uncle Jessie on The Dukes of Hazard,  

6 hours ago, devnull said:

Any game show with Wink Martindale

How is it they ALWAYS only had contestants on his shows that were even dumber than he was?

• Haha 1