Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Freedom in the 50 States

Dubs

It would be great if they did a special edition of this to include the Covid regime, but as far as I can tell that was not factored into the analysis. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
14 minutes ago, Dubs said:

I love this study. Not surprisingly, New York is last in the USA. 

New Hampshire is tops, followed by Florida, Nevada, Tennessee, and South Dakota. 

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

I wonder how NY changes if you take NYC out of the calculation.

And Hawaii is #49...but I wonder if that changes if you eliminate ecological regulation from consideration (which is pretty hefty, since they go to decent lengths to protect the island ecology.)

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Good question.

Whoa the difference between fiscal and personal in some of these states:

Texas #12 for fiscal, but #49 for personal
Idaho #11 for fiscal, but #42 for personal
New Mexico #48 for fiscal, but #5 for personal
Vermont #46 for fiscal, #4 for personal

Only a few states like NY, Hawaii, Delaware, South Carolina, Mississippi and Kansas suck for both.

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And Hawaii is #49...but I wonder if that changes if you eliminate ecological regulation from consideration (which is pretty hefty, since they go to decent lengths to protect the island ecology.)

anecdotal evidence from Erie County would suggest if you categorized the county as a state, it would rank 51. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, Dubs said:

I love this study. Not surprisingly, New York is last in the USA. 

New Hampshire is tops, followed by Florida, Nevada, Tennessee, and South Dakota. 

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

This comes from the Cato Institute, which is libertarian. I am not a libertarian, and I disagree with many of the assumptions they made when computing their index.

For example they think that taxes or restrictions on cigarettes are bad, and the freedom to smoke them is good. But if I’m standing right next to a man smoking a cigarette, his freedom to smoke deletes my freedom to breathe clean air. This is not a factor they considered. Other freedoms they considered were the freedom to do recreational drugs, freedom to gamble, and freedom for illegal aliens to receive drivers licenses. 

There were times when unimportant freedoms diluted important ones. For example part of their index was calculated on the basis of whether physicians assistants and nurse practitioners had the freedom to prescribe medicines. 

“Land use freedom,” whatever that is, was weighted more heavily than local taxes. If you look at NYS, one of the primary sources of government oppression is property tax. 

A better freedom index would avoid the mistake of diluting important questions with unimportant ones. The questions I would focus on are these.

1) What is government spending as a percentage of median income?

2) Of that spending how much goes towards things intended to benefit the people paying the taxes?

3) What is government’s total burden on business, especially small business?

4) Education. What options does the government give parents for school choice, or homeschooling, or other ways of avoiding the poison of critical race theory? 

5) Are there examples of unprovoked nastiness I should know about, such as putting people in jail for an unpaid spending ticket? 

6) Does the state believe its citizens deserve protection against violent crime? If so, it should be making a serious effort to lock up violent criminals for long periods of time. Also, it should allow its citizens the use of firearms, and should permit them to use those firearms to defend themselves, their homes, and their families against criminal attack. 

It is my belief New York State deserves failing grades on all six of these questions. It is an oppressive state in just about every way a state can be oppressive. 

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Wow 1

California #48?!?   That's ridiculous!!

I'm free to go pitch a tent on the sidewalk and have all sorts of moron do-gooders file lawsuits on my behalf.  I'm free to round up some buddies and go loot a local mall.  I'm free to drop trou and take a shit on the sidewalk right in front of a crowd of people.....what more could you want?

How exactly are these idiots defining freedom these days??

• Wow 1

Adding numbers next to arbitrary categories does not make a scientific study.

Texas at #49 for personal makes no sense.  Living in both NY and Texas, Texas is light years ahead on the personal side.  Room for improvement, sure like everything. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• 6 months later...