Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Flores Suing NFL and NYG; Charges Racism

IDBillzFan

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

You know, the one question I'd like to ask Peyton Manning over a beer is "When you recommended Adam Gase to be a head coach, were you in concussion protocol?"

I think he took a page out of Bill Walsh’s “ I recommend Trent Edwards” practical joke book.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

51 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Data is oppressive and racist.  

Deadspin had an impressive spread a few weeks ago, listing all the black coaches since 2000 unfairly let go.  Including coaches like Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis.  :wallbash:

As a former Transphobic racist bigot of the High Order of the Moose Lodge I still stand by my point earlier that the Mickey Rooney Law is bad for the NFL and unconstitutional and the Jets should be abolished for this heinous crime!

Edited by Fansince88
  • Haha 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
2 hours ago, bdutton said:

The fact that Bellicheck texted the wrong Brian congrats on the job makes me believe that interviewing Flores was just to make it look good for the rooney rule (despite already interviewing other black candidates). This does not look good for the NFL especially given current public opinion over race, media and the fact that this is black history month.

I disagree. I’ve helped to hire hundreds of people for one of the largest, most recognizable finance brands in the country.

Once you’ve determined who the list of qualified candidates will include, you schedule the list of interviews with each candidate.

After the first round of interviews you create a stack list, and then schedule a second round of interviews with those who rank in the top predetermined percentage of the list.

You then modify that stack rank accordingly.

While this second set of interviews are ongoing, you may make the determination that you’ve already found your top candidate.

IE assuming your top ranked candidate after round one blows round two out of the water, and you’ve already made your decision, you don’t cancel the remaining interviews to be conducted. Talent acquisition is an ongoing process. You always want to know as much as you can about all top candidates because you never know when you might want to hire them for another role within the org, or the same role at a later time. Or in the even that first choice declines your offer.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I disagree. I’ve helped to hire hundreds of people for one of the largest, most recognizable finance brands in the country.

Once you’ve determined who the list of qualified candidates will include, you schedule the list of interviews with each candidate.

After the first round of interviews you create a stack list, and then schedule a second round of interviews with those who rank in the top predetermined percentage of the list.

While this second set of interviews are ongoing, you may make the determination that you’ve already found your top candidate.

IE assuming your top ranked candidate after round one blows round two out of the water, and you’ve already made your decision, you don’t cancel the remaining interviews to be conducted. Talent acquisition is an ongoing process. You always want to know as much as you can about all top candidates because you never know when you might want to hire them for another role within the org, or the same role at a later time. Or in the even that first choice declines your offer.

Well, that eliminates me. Thanks for the opportunity just the same

• Haha 1

This stuff is such crap. These owners care about one thing and that’s winning. You could be a black Asian queer and if they thought they could win a super bowl with you they would give you a shot. I get tired of hearing about how our OC Bieniemy is being disrespected. First off everyone knows he is not in charge of Andy’s offense. Secondly he comes across a little dense and is not a great interview. Finally he has a criminal past, including putting his hands on a female parking attendant and commenting she should be afraid of a group of black men. He will never be a head coach and it has nothing to do with being black

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Carptom1 said:

This stuff is such crap. These owners care about one thing and that’s winning. You could be a black Asian queer and if they thought they could win a super bowl with you they would give you a shot. I get tired of hearing about how our OC Bieniemy is being disrespected. First off everyone knows he is not in charge of Andy’s offense. Secondly he comes across a little dense and is not a great interview. Finally he has a criminal past, including putting his hands on a female parking attendant and commenting she should be afraid of a group of black men. He will never be a head coach and it has nothing to do with being black

Thanks for the info. 

Another reason for promoting Dorsey.

5 minutes ago, Carptom1 said:

Is it even possible to be a black Asian?  Well I guess white hispanic is a thing so….

3 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

The larger question now is why did Fins really fire him? 

In an at will state?  They fired him because he didn't win enough, created a hostile work environment, there was a difference of opinion between him and ownership, the sky is blue.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I don't know, there could be pressure to fill the remaining openings with Black coaches just to take the pressure off the league. Frazier could benefit from all this.

🤞

• Haha 4

Let's try to sort out the legitimate complaints from the wokeism and drama.

Legitimate complaint 1: the Dolphins pressured him to tank the season

Legitimate complaint 2: the Dolphins pressured him to break the tampering rule to meet with a prominent quarterback.

Somewhat legitimate complaint 3: the Giants interviewed him after having already chosen Daboll as their head coach.

This third complaint deserves a little more attention. Suppose a team has an opening at head coach, and has already chosen a black person from within the organization to fill that opening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that they still have to interview two black candidates from outside the organization to be Rooney Rule-compliant. Even assuming I'm wrong about this specific thing, the Rooney Rule certainly results in situations in which black candidates are being interviewed after someone else has already been chosen. So, imagine yourself sitting down for an interview, thinking you have a legitimate shot at the job. You later learn that it didn't matter what you said in the interview: someone else had already been chosen. I can see where something like that could be hurtful or angering.

However, as others have pointed out, the Giants had already complied with the Rooney Rule prior to giving Flores that last interview. Also as others have pointed out, if you have a number of interviews with different candidates set up, you don't cancel those interviews just because you've found a great candidate you want to hire. By giving Flores that last interview, the Giants were affording him the opportunity to wow them and persuade them he was an even better candidate than Daboll. Flores would probably have had to be really amazing to make that happen, but a slim chance is better than none.

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Yup.  I've had several interviews where I knew five minutes in "this is the guy" but you still go through the process with the remaining candidates because you never know what's going to happen.

If Daboll has suddenly decided to take the Jax job or gotten hit by a bus, the Giants didn't want to be back at square one with a group of guys they had already rejected.

My only other comment on the lawsuit and the mindless narrative that is already spewing out is how much I can't stand the inane assumption that the % of players of any given race has anything whatsoever to do with the make up of coaching group.  Even the lawsuit refers to the 'pool' of candidates as being those who played in the NFL.  Which if true would excluded guys like, uh, Brain Flores.  And Bill Belichick.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 2

2 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Legitimate complaint 1: the Dolphins pressured him into tanking the season

Legitimate complaint 2: the Dolphins pressured him into breaking the tampering rule to meet with a prominent quarterback.

Somewhat legitimate complaint 3: the Giants interviewed him after having already chosen Daboll as their head coach.

This third complaint deserves a little more attention. Suppose a team has an opening at head coach, and has already chosen a black person from within the organization to fill that opening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that they still have to interview two black candidates from outside the organization to be Rooney Rule-compliant. Even assuming I'm wrong about this specific thing, the Rooney Rule certainly results in situations in which black candidates are being interviewed after someone else has already been chosen. So, imagine yourself sitting down for an interview, thinking you have a legitimate shot at the job. You later learn that it didn't matter what you said in the interview: someone else had already been chosen. I can see where something like that could be hurtful or angering.

However, as others have pointed out, the Giants had already complied with the Rooney Rule prior to giving Flores that last interview. Also as others have pointed out, if you have a number of interviews with different candidates set up, you don't cancel those interviews just because you've found a great candidate you want to hire. By giving Flores that last interview, the Giants were affording him the opportunity to wow them and persuade them he was an even better candidate than Daboll. Flores would probably have had to be really amazing to make that happen, but a slim chance is better than none.

rules.jpeg.43828930ee09e9710d7a34e65fbea5cd.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

rules.jpeg.43828930ee09e9710d7a34e65fbea5cd.jpeg

At least according to that, there is a strict Rooney Rule requirement to interview at least two black candidates from outside the organization when hiring for head coach or GM openings. It doesn't sound like you can get out of that by hiring a black head coach or GM from within the organization. So it's possible for a team to be penalized for being Rooney Rule non-compliant, even as the team hires a new black head coach and a new black GM. 😮

• Facepalm 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

Legitimate complaint 1: the Dolphins pressured him to tank the season

Legitimate complaint 2: the Dolphins pressured him to break the tampering rule to meet with a prominent quarterback.

The first two are as of now, completely unsubstantiated.  If proven true, #1 would a huh-yuge deal , but have nothing to do with race.  #2 is a nothing-burger IMO, and also has nothing to do with race.  And #3?  Maybe a slightly douchey move by the Giants, but they were complying with the letter of the rule.  Of course Daboll was going to the Giants, that was obvious the second they hired Schoen.  So what are they supposed to do?  There's nothing racist about a guy hiring someone he's worked with on a daily basis for years over a guy who just got fired from his prior job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

The first two are as of now, completely unsubstantiated.  If proven true, #1 would a huh-yuge deal , but have nothing to do with race.  #2 is a nothing-burger IMO, and also has nothing to do with race.  And #3?  Maybe a slightly douchey move by the Giants, but they were complying with the letter of the rule.  Of course Daboll was going to the Giants, that was obvious the second they hired Schoen.  So what are they supposed to do?  There's nothing racist about a guy hiring someone he's worked with on a daily basis for years over a guy who just got fired from his prior job.

There are two components to the lawsuit. 1) Complaints made in hopes of convincing a judge or jury. 2) Complaints made for the benefit of the media.

The media thirsts for allegations of unfair racial practices the way a man in a desert thirsts for water. The media has every reason in the world to lie through their teeth, if necessary, to persuade the public that Flores’ allegations are stronger than they really are. 

The question I have is: what is Flores’ end game? I see several possible options. 1) Maybe he envisions himself as retired, in a sort of martyr role. 2) Maybe he believes an NFL team will hire him despite all this. 3) Maybe he wants to be a talking head for some media outlet. 4) Maybe he’s hoping for corporate sponsorships, along the lines of those Kaepernick has received. 5) Maybe he was just emotional, and filed an emotion-driven lawsuit. 

I think it's more of a case of exacting revenge against a supposed adversary.

The Dolphins fired Flores. That firing was the least expected in this latest round and brought on a huge amount of clamoring criticism, as it seemed somewhat undeserved.

Dolphin org needs to defend the action and defer the criticism, so they start with the "difficult to work with" narrative, probably justified as evident from Flores staff turnover.

Flores sees Dolphins poisoning the well regarding him by these claims.

Flores, already unhappy with that org spills his guts about the bribe offer, which is nuclear and could have severe consequences, especially with the proliferation of gambling on NFL games. 

Dolphins look terrible. Flores looks unusually and uncomfortably vindictive.

Belichick looks like an absolute idiot.

Giants didn't do anything wrong, except foolishly tipping their hand before they finished interviews.

Lawyers look like lawyers.

Brady doesn't mention the Pats in his rambling retirement announcement. 

Just another day. 

• Like 3