Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Biden Administration Open More J-1 Visas for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)

Ann

That'll make tech happy...

President Joe Biden and his deputies at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have dropped nearly all border protections for U.S. graduates, allowing a mass rush of Indian graduates to grab jobs from Fortune 500 companies, experts and foreign workers say.

“They’ve opened up everything,” said Jay Palmer,  a civil rights, human trafficking, and immigration rights activist, who works with many of the foreign visa workers who are exploited by their U.S. employers. He continued:

The administration has basically taken down all the checks and balances, and they opened the entire immigration platform for any [foreign gradaute] that wants to come in. White-Collar American graduates are going to be filing bankruptcy on their student loans.

The flood of foreign workers — mostly Indians — across the 50-state union line is growing the nation’s already-huge foreign workforce.

That little-recognized workforce consists of roughly 1.5 million non-immigrant foreign workers in U.S. white-collar jobs. The foreign workers are willing to accept low wages in the hope of getting U.S. citizenship. The workforce is helping to push down Americans’ salaries and bid up their house prices while inflation shrinks the value of U.S. graduates’ salaries.

</snip>

For example, DHS is expanding the already-huge “Optional Practical Training” work-permit program for foreign graduates of U.S. universities. It has also announced it will work with the Department of State to help employers hire more foreign college graduates via the massive J-1 visa program.

</snip>

FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Actions to Attract STEM Talent and Strengthen our Economy and Competitiveness

</snip>

In the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) – fields that are critical to the prosperity, security, and health of our Nation – our history is filled with examples of how America’s ability to attract global talent has spurred path-breaking innovation. This innovation has led to the creation of new jobs, new industries, and new opportunities for Americans across the United States. Our commitment as a nation to welcoming new talent has long provided America with a global competitive advantage, and we must continue to lead in this effort.

Today, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are announcing new actions to advance predictability and clarity for pathways for international STEM scholars, students, researchers, and experts to contribute to innovation and job creation efforts across America. These actions will allow international STEM talent to continue to make meaningful contributions to America’s scholarly, research and development, and innovation communities.

These announcements build on the Biden Administration’s efforts to remove barriers to legal immigration, such as under Executive Order 14012, Restoring Faith in Our Legal Immigration Systems and Strengthening Integration and Inclusion Efforts for New Americans, and to promote educational exchange, such as under the recent Joint Statement of Principles in Support of International Education issued by Secretaries Blinken and Cardona.

</snip>

• Angry 1

On 2/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, Ann said:

That'll make tech happy...

President Joe Biden and his deputies at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have dropped nearly all border protections for U.S. graduates, allowing a mass rush of Indian graduates to grab jobs from Fortune 500 companies, experts and foreign workers say.

“They’ve opened up everything,” said Jay Palmer,  a civil rights, human trafficking, and immigration rights activist, who works with many of the foreign visa workers who are exploited by their U.S. employers. He continued:

The administration has basically taken down all the checks and balances, and they opened the entire immigration platform for any [foreign gradaute] that wants to come in. White-Collar American graduates are going to be filing bankruptcy on their student loans.

The flood of foreign workers — mostly Indians — across the 50-state union line is growing the nation’s already-huge foreign workforce.

That little-recognized workforce consists of roughly 1.5 million non-immigrant foreign workers in U.S. white-collar jobs. The foreign workers are willing to accept low wages in the hope of getting U.S. citizenship. The workforce is helping to push down Americans’ salaries and bid up their house prices while inflation shrinks the value of U.S. graduates’ salaries.

</snip>

For example, DHS is expanding the already-huge “Optional Practical Training” work-permit program for foreign graduates of U.S. universities. It has also announced it will work with the Department of State to help employers hire more foreign college graduates via the massive J-1 visa program.

</snip>

FACT SHEET: Biden-⁠Harris Administration Actions to Attract STEM Talent and Strengthen our Economy and Competitiveness

</snip>

In the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) – fields that are critical to the prosperity, security, and health of our Nation – our history is filled with examples of how America’s ability to attract global talent has spurred path-breaking innovation. This innovation has led to the creation of new jobs, new industries, and new opportunities for Americans across the United States. Our commitment as a nation to welcoming new talent has long provided America with a global competitive advantage, and we must continue to lead in this effort.

Today, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are announcing new actions to advance predictability and clarity for pathways for international STEM scholars, students, researchers, and experts to contribute to innovation and job creation efforts across America. These actions will allow international STEM talent to continue to make meaningful contributions to America’s scholarly, research and development, and innovation communities.

These announcements build on the Biden Administration’s efforts to remove barriers to legal immigration, such as under Executive Order 14012, Restoring Faith in Our Legal Immigration Systems and Strengthening Integration and Inclusion Efforts for New Americans, and to promote educational exchange, such as under the recent Joint Statement of Principles in Support of International Education issued by Secretaries Blinken and Cardona.

</snip>

direct result of the crappy STEM education received in the US

govt should mandate that science and technology dependent companies hire more basket weavers

Billsandhorns
On 2/25/2022 at 2:56 PM, Spartacus said:

direct result of the crappy STEM education received in the US

govt should mandate that science and technology dependent companies hire more basket weavers

I don't think the government should mandate shit.

Should there be more attention bro STEM programs? Absolutely. She we import more cheap labor at the request of tech companies, absolutely not

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Good.  There's been a big shortage of skilled tech talent, resulting in astronomical salaries and costly recruiting wars.  Our company has been seeing 30% turnover in software developers.  The narrative that these people are 'cheap labor' or 'exploited' is laughable tripe.

As far as those poor, middle-class Americans choking on their student debt, those aren't the STEM majors, they are the moron Poly Sci majors who are working at Starbucks, and no one from India is coming for those jobs.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Good.  There's been a big shortage of skilled tech talent, resulting in astronomical salaries and costly recruiting wars.  Our company has been seeing 30% turnover in software developers.  The narrative that these people are 'cheap labor' or 'exploited' is laughable tripe.

As far as those poor, middle-class Americans choking on their student debt, those aren't the STEM majors, they are the moron Poly Sci majors who are working at Starbucks, and no one from India is coming for those jobs.

Market for tech workers is so ridiculous right now that I had three companies get in to a bidding war for me, ending up in me making an embarrassing annual salary that I never would have expected even five years ago.  

And I've seen H1B tech workers exploited.  People coming over from Pune, getting a raise from $5/hr there to $22/hr here, thinking they've hit the big time, not knowing they're being billed at $125/hr.  And having no recourse, because if the complain their sponsorship gets yanked and they get deported.  Not a constant thing...but happens enough in DC that I'm not surprised by it when I see it.

Nouseforaname
On 8/2/2022 at 6:23 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Market for tech workers is so ridiculous right now that I had three companies get in to a bidding war for me, ending up in me making an embarrassing annual salary that I never would have expected even five years ago.  

And I've seen H1B tech workers exploited.  People coming over from Pune, getting a raise from $5/hr there to $22/hr here, thinking they've hit the big time, not knowing they're being billed at $125/hr.  And having no recourse, because if the complain their sponsorship gets yanked and they get deported.  Not a constant thing...but happens enough in DC that I'm not surprised by it when I see it.

We have the same reality here, except that the workers are coming from French speaking North African countries and France.  They all are stuck working for a much lower rate until they can qualify as permanent residents and shop around their talents.