Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Matt Milano might not be our best Defensive player... but he's our most important

transplantbillsfan

transplantbillsfan

Just wish the guy could stay healthy...

https://theathletic.com/2160660/2020/10/25/bills-jets-jerry-hughes?source=user-shared-article

Bills’ third-down revival and Matt Milano’s return are not coincidental

So, what was a big reason for their third-down revival? The presence of linebacker Matt Milano sure helped. After a two-week absence, the Bills welcomed Milano back on a pitch count against the Jets. He wasn’t an every-down starter just yet, but there was a clear plan of attack from the coaching staff for Milano to make the Bills a better defense. Milano took only 15 snaps, all coming on third downs, on fourth downs and at the end of each half. He provided excellent run support, and his read on fourth-and-1 helped force the running back wide to get the Jets off the field. He was also solid in coverage, and when asked to, threatened the Jets as a blitzer. The statistics backed up how much better the Bills were when Milano was on the field. The Jets gained 190 yards total. They gained only 16 of those yards when Milano was playing. The Jets tallied, on average, only 1.1 yards per play when the Bills used Milano. While that’s very likely an unsustainable figure, it simply reinforces the point about Milano’s wide-ranging importance to the Bills’ defensive operation. Without him, the Bills are a different team.

https://theathletic.com/2157883/2020/10/24/matt-milano-bills-contract?source=user-shared-article

Milano seems to be the glue that holds the Bills’ defense together, the straw that stirs the drink. Nobody will admit that publicly, not in an NFL locker room. McDermott and the players don’t want to excuse their lackluster defensive play by pinning it on Milano’s absence in three of the team’s six games this season. Anytime the conversation turns to a player missing time, players and coaches instinctively jump to “next man up.”

“He does it all for us,” safety Micah Hyde said.

Added Tre’Davious White: “When he’s on the field, you have total confidence he can cover the slot receiver, cover the back coming out of the backfield and get into the backfield and make big time plays. Any time you’re missing a guy like that with that type of talent, it’s a huge blow to the team.”

And Jordan Poyer: “Matt is one of the best linebackers in the game.”

Milano’s absence is providing a glimpse of what life would be like without him flying around the field. Milano, in the final year of his contract, has been an incredible bargain as a fifth-round pick. But he’s the only member of that 2017 draft class who has had to play out the final year of his rookie contract. Both White and Dion Dawkins got new deals before the season started. In August, Milano said he “wouldn’t want to be anywhere else” other than Buffalo but also said he wasn’t focused on a new deal. He figured the business side of football would take care of itself as long as he continued his strong play.

“Matt knows everybody around the league knows what type of player he is and what caliber player he is,” White said. “He doesn’t have to come in and try to press or do things uncharacteristic to try to prove that he’s this type of player because he’s in a contract year. Everybody around the league already knows what type of player he is when he’s on the field. You already know you’re going to get one of the best outside linebackers in the league. That’s something where everybody in this building is confident in him and he’s confident, too.”

Spotrac estimates the market value for Milano’s next contract at four years, $52 million, for an average annual salary of $13 million. That would put Milano in line with the contracts signed by Panthers linebacker Shaq Thompson and 49ers linebacker Kwon Alexander. 

The Bills, meanwhile, could be tight on cap space. If the NFL salary cap is at the $173 million floor, the Bills would have just under $6 million in space this offseason. Signing Milano would mean the Bills need to shed other contracts. It would also leave less space for re-signing players like Tremaine Edmunds.

I still vote we sign him over Edmunds...

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Robs House said:

Milano's great when he gets on the field. I just don't know how much you pay a guy who does that so infrequently.

I need to look it up, but think the idea he is injury prone is an urban myth. Will edit later in morning when I properly wake up!

Matt is a good LB and a perfect fit in McD's base 4-2 5 defense. He's not the biggest guy @6' 220 but he is fast and can cover RB's, TE's and even slot WR's on passing downs, good on run plays and can contribute as a pass rusher. Only problem is he gets injured just when he's playing his best football, so I'm not sure I'd pay him $13mil. per year for his services. He deserves a new contract but $10 -11 mil. seems to be  his  present value.  IMO

20 hours ago, Robs House said:

Milano's great when he gets on the field. I just don't know how much you pay a guy who does that so infrequently.

That's pry a sticking point in contract negotiations as I don't know how much you guarantee a player that is injury prone.  He's missed 7 of 55 games in his career so far with three separate injuries.  Not terrible but still concerning when committing a lot of money to someone.  Since the Bills use so much nickle his versatility is arguably more valuable to the Bills than almost any other team.  The franchise tag is always an option and might be ideal to see if he can stay healthy a whole season.

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's pry a sticking point in contract negotiations as I don't know how much you guarantee a player that is injury prone.  He's missed 7 of 55 games in his career so far with three separate injuries.  Not terrible but still concerning when committing a lot of money to someone.  Since the Bills use so much nickle his versatility is arguably more valuable to the Bills than almost any other team.  The franchise tag is always an option and might be ideal to see if he can stay healthy a whole season.

Franchise tag for a linebacker is almost $16 million.  Yikes!

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

5 hours ago, snafu said:

Franchise tag for a linebacker is almost $16 million.  Yikes!

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

I hope it doesn't come down to that.  The transition tag could also become a possibility.  It's tough because we'll hopefully looking to extend Allen.  We'll also have to make decisions with Feliciano and pry Daryl Williams.  Diggs may want a raise and he'll pry deserve one as he's one of the best WR's in the game.  We'll have to make a decision on Edmunds and it'll be interesting to see if we exercise the 5th year option which is a real possibility if we're still not sure what we have in him.  Also, do we prioritize upgrading DE, TE, LB, and CB through the draft and/or free agency?

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I hope it doesn't come down to that.  The transition tag could also become a possibility.  It's tough because we'll hopefully looking to extend Allen.  We'll also have to make decisions with Feliciano and pry Daryl Williams.  Diggs may want a raise and he'll pry deserve one as he's one of the best WR's in the game.  We'll have to make a decision on Edmunds and it'll be interesting to see if we exercise the 5th year option which is a real possibility if we're still not sure what we have in him.  Also, do we prioritize upgrading DE, TE, LB, and CB through the draft and/or free agency?

ANDDDDD, have to do all that with a reduced cap!!!

HEY, GMFB back in the studio...awesome!

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

ANDDDDD, have to do all that with a reduced cap!!!

HEY, GMFB back in the studio...awesome!

Yes, the studio lighting is much better for Kate's face!

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I think Milano is going to play elsewhere next season.  They will either get a new MLB and replace him with Edmunds, or they will replace him outright. Edmunds will be kept and his 5th year option exercised. I think we have a decent amount of depth at guard, but need Williams more at this point. We are 5-2 without Feliciano. Let’s see what we can do with him. I’m not too worried about Diggs and a raise. Seems as though teams can restructure around the cap. I think our top draft pick will be DE, then CB, TE, LB. You didn’t mention DT. Need to see whether Star ever returns. As for Allen, that can should be kicked down the road one year. Maybe they can scrape $$ from dead weight contracts like Murphy, etc. 

5 hours ago, snafu said:

I think Milano is going to play elsewhere next season.  They will either get a new MLB and replace him with Edmunds, or they will replace him outright. Edmunds will be kept and his 5th year option exercised. I think we have a decent amount of depth at guard, but need Williams more at this point. We are 5-2 without Feliciano. Let’s see what we can do with him. I’m not too worried about Diggs and a raise. Seems as though teams can restructure around the cap. I think our top draft pick will be DE, then CB, TE, LB. You didn’t mention DT. Need to see whether Star ever returns. As for Allen, that can should be kicked down the road one year. Maybe they can scrape $$ from dead weight contracts like Murphy, etc. 

I disagree and don't think they let Milano go.  He's a better player than Edmunds at this point and I'd rather move on from Edmunds unless he significantly improves this year.  I'd hold off on exercising the 5th year option if his play continues at this rate.  Star should be back at least one more season as it would cost us less in cap space to keep him than release him.  

As for the offense, it's a wait and see with Allen.  If he blows you away the 2nd half of this season then you absolutely extend him now before the price goes up.  If not.  I agree you kick the can down the road.  You want as much continuity as possible along the o-line and it seems the best combination would be Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Mongo, and Williams once they are all healthy.  Maybe bring back Mongo and Williams on a one year deal.  We should at least have Star back for one more season as the dead cap is more than the cap hit.  If I was Beane I'd prioritize LB, DE, CB, and TE in that order.  There's always hope that Knox can have a strong second half of the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I disagree and don't think they let Milano go.  He's a better player than Edmunds at this point and I'd rather move on from Edmunds unless he significantly improves this year.  I'd hold off on exercising the 5th year option if his play continues at this rate.  Star should be back at least one more season as it would cost us less in cap space to keep him than release him.  

As for the offense, it's a wait and see with Allen.  If he blows you away the 2nd half of this season then you absolutely extend him now before the price goes up.  If not.  I agree you kick the can down the road.  You want as much continuity as possible along the o-line and it seems the best combination would be Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Mongo, and Williams once they are all healthy.  Maybe bring back Mongo and Williams on a one year deal.  We should at least have Star back for one more season as the dead cap is more than the cap hit.  If I was Beane I'd prioritize LB, DE, CB, and TE in that order.  There's always hope that Knox can have a strong second half of the season.

I'd like it if they can keep both and I believe that Edmunds will be very good. I tend to agree that Milano is more effective at his position than Edmunds is at his.  They could easily choose Milano over Edmunds.  My gut says it's the other way.  It seems to be consensus that Edmunds would make a better coverage LB than where he's playing now.  If that's true and he's more physically gifted than Milano (and a bit more durable) then why not keep Edmunds -- who you can lock up for an extra 5th year.  

2 hours ago, snafu said:

I'd like it if they can keep both and I believe that Edmunds will be very good. I tend to agree that Milano is more effective at his position than Edmunds is at his.  They could easily choose Milano over Edmunds.  My gut says it's the other way.  It seems to be consensus that Edmunds would make a better coverage LB than where he's playing now.  If that's true and he's more physically gifted than Milano (and a bit more durable) then why not keep Edmunds -- who you can lock up for an extra 5th year.  

Edmund's been really bad at shedding blocks this year to make a tackle.  He's a liability out there at this point.  I don't know if he's regressed because of his injury or not having Star and Phillips preventing o-lineman to get to the next level.  He needs to get right quick though or we need to move on.

On 10/28/2020 at 7:31 AM, snafu said:

I think Milano is going to play elsewhere next season. 

I agree and it sucks to say that because Milano is a wonderful player when healthy.  You can't give a guy big bucks who you can't count on every week.   Get a newer more reliable model.

Here are some prospects.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/outside-linebacker/

Edited by Ninety-4

On 10/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, Doc Brown said:

Milano can't stay healthy

even when on the field - he is playing hurt

it's always his legs

you  can't commit big money to someone not on the field

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Milano can't stay healthy

even when on the field - he is playing hurt

it's always his legs

you  can't commit big money to someone not on the field

That's why a franchise tag might be a good option for him if we have the money.  Let's see if he can make it through a season healthy like he did his first two years here.

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's why a franchise tag might be a good option for him if we have the money.  Let's see if he can make it through a season healthy like he did his first two years here.

how is paying him 16mil to sit in a ice bath going to help cover TEs