Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

"Injured in Practice." Again.

RkFast

Maybe this is something thats always gone on and for some reason Im just noticing now. That is, players finish a game...no reports of injury from the game at all....then midweek...blammo...on the injury list and limited or questionable for the next week's game. Latest example of this is Edmunds but in the last fews years it seems to be happening all-the-time with this team. 

Has this always been "a thing?"  Or is it maybe just the way this team "classifies" mid week bumps and bruises? I mean...Dawkins missed a practice last week due to "illness" and later that same day he posts that TikTok of him dancing in the locker room with Isaiah looking just fine. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Cheers 1

It feels new to me as well. I initially thought it was just resting players, especially after I saw Oliver looking good,then suddenly is out.

Today the following are on the sidelines not practicing:

• Poyer
  • Edmunds
  • Knox
  • Benford

Benford I get...but the others?

At least McKenzie is in...albeit it in a red jersey...but he's in.

Chandemonium

I’ve never seen this in any sort of official league communication so I could be talking out my ass, but I remember seeing or hearing somewhere that a player had to be listed at least as limited if they visit the training staff for any reason or any length of time during practice.

5 hours ago, RkFast said:

Maybe this is something thats always gone on and for some reason Im just noticing now. That is, players finish a game...no reports of injury from the game at all....then midweek...blammo...on the injury list and limited or questionable for the next week's game. Latest example of this is Edmunds but in the last fews years it seems to be happening all-the-time with this team. 

Has this always been "a thing?"  Or is it maybe just the way this team "classifies" mid week bumps and bruises? I mean...Dawkins missed a practice last week due to "illness" and later that same day he posts that TikTok of him dancing in the locker room with Isaiah looking just fine. 

you’ve never gone to bed and woken up the next day sore as hell trying to remember WTF happened?

I have a few times. 

• Haha 1
  • FANtastic 1

31 minutes ago, Shady said:

you’ve never gone to bed and woken up the next day sore as hell trying to remember WTF happened?

I have a few times. 

Usually there was alcohol involved in some way...

23 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Usually there was alcohol involved in some way...

I understand what @Shady is talking about. It is possible after adrenaline and testosterone highs come down, the aches, pains, and injuries make themselves known to these players. Look at how Tommy Doyle played on with a torn acl in the Miami game. 

• Like 5

Just now, Ann said:

I understand what @Shady is talking about. It is possible after adrenaline and testosterone highs come down, the aches, pains, and injuries make themselves known to these players. Look at how Tommy Doyle played on with a torn acl in the Miami game. 

Oh, I do too. I was just trying to be funny.

Hell, I work construction and wake up sore more often than not these days, wondering what the hell I did to deserve it.

• Like 3

I think the training/healthcare/nutrition is more nuanced these days. Things have gotten much more complex in the last three decades. It’s a different game, they prepare differently, there’s a greater emphasis on granularity and focus on individual player’s situational needs. 

Walter Payton to Dick Butkus, “Hey, that’s a hell of a bruise you got on your back. You okay? Wanna see the trainer?” Butkus’ reply, “I’m gonna sit in the whirlpool for a bit, take a shower, get dressed, and go home and have dinner.”

Todays player, “Hey, my assistant position coach timed me on the 1 on 1 drills we ran today. He said he saw me slip and did an unexpected stutter step and he said to go get a rub down and double up on my Kale intake for the next ten days. He’ll be watching me.”

• Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Hell, I work construction and wake up sore more often than not these days, wondering what the hell I did to deserve it.

I literally hurt my elbow using a garden weasel.  Like...I was 100% fine, then went to bed.  Woke up the next day like someone had shot a hole through my elbow.  USING A &#%$ING GARDEN TOOL.

I can dead lift a house.  Somehow this makes sense.

• Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

I think the training/healthcare/nutrition is more nuanced these days. Things have gotten much more complex in the last three decades. It’s a different game, they prepare differently, there’s a greater emphasis on granularity and focus on individual player’s situational needs. 

Walter Payton to Dick Butkus, “Hey, that’s a hell of a bruise you got on your back. You okay? Wanna see the trainer?” Butkus’ reply, “I’m gonna sit in the whirlpool for a bit, take a shower, get dressed, and go home and have dinner.”

Todays player, “Hey, my assistant position coach timed me on the 1 on 1 drills we ran today. He said he saw me slip and did an unexpected stutter step and he said to go get a rub down and double up on my Kale intake for the next ten days. He’ll be watching me.”

There's a reason careers are longer now and they guys can still walk when they are in their 50s despite the fact that they're much bigger, faster, and stronger than their counterparts from decades ago.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Any assistant position coach recommending kale should be fired.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

I went to the Palos Verde Peninsula (near Long Beach, CA) years back to do a little surf fishing. Instead of taking the winding road (path) down to the beach I figured I could just shoot down the cliff and save myself some time. While it was steeper than it looked I managed to get to the beach without injury. I was fine all that day. I had a meeting at a restaurant the next day and physically had to pull myself out of my car. I was very sore all over and it took days to walk like a normal human being. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I literally hurt my elbow using a garden weasel.  Like...I was 100% fine, then went to bed.  Woke up the next day like someone had shot a hole through my elbow.  USING A &#%$ING GARDEN TOOL.

I can dead lift a house.  Somehow this makes sense.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I went to the Palos Verde Peninsula (near Long Beach, CA) years back to do a little surf fishing. Instead of taking the winding road (path) down to the beach I figured I could just shoot down the cliff and save myself some time. While it was steeper than it looked I managed to get to the beach without injury. I was fine all that day. I had a meeting at a restaurant the next day and physically had to pull myself out of my car. I was very sore all over and it took days to walk like a normal human being. 

Of course I can't be sure, so it's just a theory but...

Being a general remodeler, I do a variety of different jobs. I might be walking on stilts one week, excavating a site the next or installing hardwoods. The thing here is, all those jobs require you using muscles somewhat differently than you might otherwise normally use them. If it has been a few weeks/months since I walked on stilts, the outside of my calf's will hurt for three or four days because apparently, that is the portion of the muscle you utilize to be able to balance yourself. Same with a hawk of mud, if I am holding a board full of compound all day after not doing so for awhile, the back of my shoulder will hurt for a few days until it gets worked back into shape.

Excavating is probably the worst because you are walking around on uneven ground all day and your body just isn't accustomed to all the various muscles that need to coordinate to enable you to do shit like that. Not to mention if your digging a ditch or a hole...

So my theory is that you use muscles in ways that you don't always do and that is why you become sore doing something you don't normally do, even if you do do it intermittently. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Of course I can't be sure, so it's just a theory but...

Being a general remodeler, I do a variety of different jobs. I might be walking on stilts one week, excavating a site the next or installing hardwoods. The thing here is, all those jobs require you using muscles somewhat differently than you might otherwise normally use them. If it has been a few weeks/months since I walked on stilts, the outside of my calf's will hurt for three or four days because apparently, that is the portion of the muscle you utilize to be able to balance yourself. Same with a hawk of mud, if I am holding a board full of compound all day after not doing so for awhile, the back of my shoulder will hurt for a few days until it gets worked back into shape.

Excavating is probably the worst because you are walking around on uneven ground all day and your body just isn't accustomed to all the various muscles that need to coordinate to enable you to do shit like that. Not to mention if your digging a ditch or a hole...

So my theory is that you use muscles in ways that you don't always do and that is why you become sore doing something you don't normally do, even if you do do it intermittently. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I worked construction for a little while decades ago. I had to put up a wooden fence on a property that must have been 200' x 300'. Used a nail gun. Ended up with what I assumed was a pinched nerve and had a hard time even driving for a couple of weeks. 

I used to walk 5-7 miles nearly every day. One day I took my grandaughter who was a very fit teenager and was a cheerleader. She goaded me into walking 8 miles. It was no problem for me either during the walk or after. I called her the next day and she was in real pain and couldn't really walk. That's what happens when you use muscles that you're not used to exercising. 

5 hours ago, Shady said:

I won’t even mention the Belicheat method. 😆 

Welcome aboard the board. That said, Shouldn't you display a Shady jersey?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SackMan518 said:

Maybe McDermott's practices are like fighting in the Thunderdome? LOL

maxresdefault.jpg

Two go in but only 1 comes out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RkFast said:

Dawkins missed a practice last week due to "illness" and later that same day he posts that TikTok of him dancing in the locker room with Isaiah looking just fine. 

The offensive line has been playing so well lately, that I'm fine with OL skipping practices.