Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Success - How do You Define It?

Foxx

Is success defined as attaining a point in life where you are happy no matter what or is it measured in an accumulation of tangible items (he with the most toys wins)? Some combination of the two? Maybe raising well-rounded children?

I'm curious what you think.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Twice a season, crush the Dolphins, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Edited by Crap Throwing Clavin
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Is success defined as attaining a point in life where you are happy no matter what or is it measured in an accumulation of tangible items (he with the most toys wins)? Some combination of the two? Maybe raising well-rounded children?

I used to think it was all those things -- important title on a business card, making six figures, driving the right car, wearing the right suit, nabbing the right pussy...and I pissed away a large part of my life chasing all of it, until I was broken to the point where my desire for all of it led me right up to the point of losing all of it.

It took me losing it to see what I gained.

To quote Harry Chapin;

"His foot hit the brakes to slow him down,

"but the pedal floored easy without a sound.

"He yelled CHRIST!

"It was funny how he named the only man who could save him now."

In the end, success is personal, and to me, it's having a wife and son who love me, a roof over my head, and God's grace and mercy surrounding me in peace with every sunrise that comes into my kitchen window, every deer walking by my office, every hawk lording over my property, and a heart that, while never perfect, is indescribably redeemed through my faith so that I can show others what it took me a lifetime to learn: that they're never so broken that they can't still be forgiven and loved.

• Love 3

Nouseforaname
4 hours ago, Foxx said:

I look at success in practical terms:

Wealth can only get you so far but having enough that allows me to provide and spend time with my family.

The trick is balancing the two.

• Like 2

All of the above.

-Having a sense of happiness with your world.  That's the #1 thing to impart to the kids.  I don't care what they do or who they partner off with, I just want them to be happy.

-A family you are proud of and who are proud of you.

-A sense of accomplishment with your day;  be it at work or at play.

-Earn enough money to not have to worry if you can feed, clothe, educate your family, and to give your kids exposure to the world and the freedom to pursue their interests.

I come from frugal parents who were both raised by very frugal, depression era parents, so I actually had to learn how to loosen up and enjoy spending money that I could afford.  I've never been a 'toys' guy, but figured out that traveling is always worth the cost, a more expensive car is (if you chose well) more comfortable to drive, etc.

Great point by Mock on the dangers of chasing it.  Every level of wealth leaves you on the step of the next level, every job has a boss, there's always a nicer rack on some else's wife, etc., so the pursuit can make you miserable. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 2

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

All of the above.

-Having a sense of happiness with your world.  That's the #1 thing to impart to the kids.  I don't care what they do or who they partner off with, I just want them to be happy.

-A family you are proud of and who are proud of you.

-A sense of accomplishment with your day;  be it at work or at play.

-Earn enough money to not have to worry if you can feed, clothe, educate your family, and to give your kids exposure to the world and the freedom to pursue their interests.

I come from frugal parents who were both raised by very frugal, depression era parents, so I actually had to learn how to loosen up and enjoy spending money that I could afford.  I've never been a 'toys' guy, but figured out that traveling is always worth the cost, a more expensive car is (if you chose well) more comfortable to drive, etc.

Great point by Mock on the dangers of chasing it.  Every level of wealth leaves you on the step of the next level, every job has a boss, there's always a nicer rack on some else's wife, etc., so the pursuit can make you miserable. 

Same thing with regard to my parents, god bless them they made so much out of nothing but every time I spent money,

i had my moms voice in the back of my head telling me to be careful.

She wasn’t wrong but at one point, you have to enjoy life a little.

• Cheers 1

Welp.  Going into the future I think it will be measured by criteria other than financial as few people will have money.  We have just witnessed a very rare era in humanity where the average were allowed to accumulate assets by just working hard.  This is ending in part due to technology and in part due to government.  AI will just about end white collar positions.  In the next decade or so it will become common place for AI to handle a case in a court room, perform diagnosis or surgery or design a building or car.  Owners of businesses will decide that there are far fewer headaches in using devices versus employing problematic humans who need time off, have to go to funerals on a couple days notice, or need to go to the doctor.  

Nouseforaname
2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Welp.  Going into the future I think it will be measured by criteria other than financial as few people will have money.  We have just witnessed a very rare era in humanity where the average were allowed to accumulate assets by just working hard.  This is ending in part due to technology and in part due to government.  AI will just about end white collar positions.  In the next decade or so it will become common place for AI to handle a case in a court room, perform diagnosis or surgery or design a building or car.  Owners of businesses will decide that there are far fewer headaches in using devices versus employing problematic humans who need time off, have to go to funerals on a couple days notice, or need to go to the doctor.  

604ed088f59e8fd09de94c88_IMG_1562.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 7:54 AM, RochesterRob said:

Until the AI decides to accelerate the pace of Funerals