Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Important November Poll

devnull

Important November Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Cranberry Sauce

• Yes
    • Yuck

It's a November tradition in America.  That magical day when we all get together and argue about one of the most hotly debated topics of our National identity

Cranberry sauce

I admit that I am a partisan zealot in the "Hell no" party

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I like cranberries. Preferably the whole berry type.

In a cocktail or sugared, sure. But the canned jelly or sauce... no bueno.

Saying that? I make an awesome whole cranberry side with whole berries that actually tastes terrific. 

• Cheers 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

Saying that? I make an awesome whole cranberry side with whole berries that actually tastes terrific. 

I like whole berries in stuffing too, they give it an edge.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Cranberry just goes so well with the whole traditional Thanksgiving plate of turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc., provided you make it fresh.

We usually make three different types, from fresh cranberries, that alternate different liquids, such as orange juice with a splash of a cherry liqueur. We most recently tried a combo of cranberry juice and elderberry syrup given to us by our neighbor, and it was one of the finest yet because the elderberry syrup already had cloves, cinnamon, etc.

I'll also spread cranberry on a turkey sandwich. Outstanding.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Not directly related to the topic but... Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. I love the turkey dinner and all accompaniments. I will have turkey dinner several times a year.

Back in the day, we used to live for Black Friday. That was the day all of us friends gathered, cooked a giant meal and got drunk as skunks, till nobody knew their names. Good times and good memories!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Cranberry sauce bad.

Craisins good.

Raisins should be banned.

:help:

Edit:  Mrs. snafu only permits canned, jellied cranberries because she loves it -- and she does all the cooking.  I can't say I've ever tried fresh cranberry sauce, and I do like a pop of cranberry in the stuffing, for sure.

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

An absolute necessity on the Thanksgiving table.  After the bird and stuffing, it's probably #3 in importance.

I assume the reason many people don't like them is the same reason I didn't for the first few decades of my life.  Because as a kid, 'cranberries' meant this:

image.png.de98e29ad6bf9fc06a6d31cd28418240.png

Not appealing.

But get some actual berries, add some flavors and simmer them to the right consistency, and bam, it's the perfect compliment to the rest of the meal.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

Not directly related to the topic but... Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. I love the turkey dinner and all accompaniments. I will have turkey dinner several times a year.

Back in the day, we used to live for Black Friday. That was the day all of us friends gathered, cooked a giant meal and got drunk as skunks, till nobody knew their names. Good times and good memories!

Same here.  Always been my favorite holiday and that Friday one of my favorite days of the year.   No obligations, whole weekend still in front of you, and usually perfect fall weather.  When I lived back east I used to spend most of that day outside cleaning up the yard, fixing stuff before winter set in, etc. and then heading over to one of my sisters' for the follow-on T-day party.

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

An absolute necessity on the Thanksgiving table.  After the bird and stuffing, it's probably #3 in importance.

Thanksgiving Top 3

Turkey

Stuffing

Gravy

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Same here.  Always been my favorite holiday and that Friday one of my favorite days of the year.   No obligations, whole weekend still in front of you, and usually perfect fall weather.

Its the only four-day weekend my entire industry recognizes. So I can genuinely turn off for four straight days, eating, drinking, watching football, and it's glorious.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 4

On 11/3/2022 at 4:36 PM, Ann said:

I'm partal to something called cranberry celebration.  Kroger used to sell it in the deli section.  Cranberry, orange sections crushed, etc.  Good stuff.

On 11/4/2022 at 5:17 PM, B-Man said:

The B-Wife and I did tour a farm the last trip to Cape Cod.

Cranbog.jpg

Cranberry juice is the only form that I will enjoy.

Harvest day. Those will all be processed into juice or jelly. Only the dry picked berries end up on the fresh fruit isle. Those are picked first. 

On 11/3/2022 at 4:36 PM, Ann said:

So does my wife. Fresh berries, sugar, and an orange that gets the food processor for about a minute. Berries get the processor too, separately. 

On 11/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, Foxx said:

I like whole berries in stuffing too, they give it an edge.

Nice! I’ll try it. 
We put raisins in our meatballs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

Jabba The Hutt

Sorry Cranberry sauce haters... Cranberry approached me in the dead of night and said they had an important poll they needed to win so they bought my vote.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jabba The Hutt said:

Sorry Cranberry sauce haters... Cranberry approached me in the dead of night and said they had an important poll they needed to win so they bought my vote.:classic_laugh:

Ballot harvester! 

• Haha 3

On 11/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, Nanker said:

Nice! I’ll try it. 

Back a number of years ago, I made the stuffing with cranberries in it to take to mom's for the Thanksgiving get together. Mom loved it. So the next year we go there for the get together (bringing a completely different dish) and mom says, 'look, I made your stuffing with the maraschino cherries...' :classic_laugh:

Bless her for trying. Happens to all of us in one way or another.

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 11/4/2022 at 5:17 PM, B-Man said:

The B-Wife and I did tour a farm the last trip to Cape Cod.

Cranbog.jpg

Cranberry juice is the only form that I will enjoy.

It's the only fruit tested for ripeness by bouncing it on the ground.