Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

[cars] Your first or most memorable ride! (Both good and bad).

Fansince88

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

If he could hit Hill & Waddle in stride, it would be a really scary offense.  He can't; not 15 yards or more downfield at least.  They have a late 80's 4 cylinder Mustang.  It drives, but it can't fly like it should by the pedigree (and it looks ugly as #### too) because the engine is powered by amped up squirrels.  Helllllloooooo Tua.

FORD!!! 2.3LTR 4 BANGER??? What were you thinking!image.png.b9fc7da0e7129357e2c1593ca342c2b9.png

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

That thing put a tarnish on the Mustang branding. 

They ALMOST decided to just kill off the badge but cooler heads decided to revamp it for the 30th anniversary instead and it has been a sweet ride ever since.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Foxx said:

That thing put a tarnish on the Mustang branding. 

My brother's wife's father was a small town car dealer. He bought each one of his kids a Mustang. To his eldest daughter he got a 75. To my brothers wife, the middle child the infamous one above. To his youngest and only son a 64.5 convertable with a 4sp 289 small block. That was a fun car and that was in the 80s. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They ALMOST decided to just kill off the badge but cooler heads decided to revamp it for the 30th anniversary instead and it has been a sweet ride ever since.

I think they are once again headed in the wrong direction with the '22 electric version. It's beginning to look like the 'cookie cutter' plethora of all vehicles now being produced.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

I think they are once again headed in the wrong direction with the '22 electric version. It's beginning to look like the 'cookie cutter' plethora of all vehicles now being produced.

image.png

They are horrible! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Foxx said:

image.png

Don't care how many horsies Musk puts under the hood of a Tesla.  Electric cars AREN'T muscle cars.  The electric Stang doesn't count.

• Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
53 minutes ago, Foxx said:

image.png

"Our marketing research shows that what current Mustang owners really want is a Mazda3 hatchback."  :facepalm:

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

FORD!!! 2.3LTR 4 BANGER??? What were you thinking!image.png.b9fc7da0e7129357e2c1593ca342c2b9.png

My first car was a ‘78 Fox body similar to that. 
Straight 6. Had little or no power. It was a piece of crap.

I love it to this day as much as any of my kids, being my first car and all.

My second car was a Granada. Hated that thing, still do.  There’s nothing like your first car, no matter what it was. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
25 minutes ago, snafu said:

My first car was a ‘78 Fox body similar to that. 
Straight 6. Had little or no power. It was a piece of crap.

I love it to this day as much as any of my kids, being my first car and all.

My second car was a Granada. Hated that thing, still do.  There’s nothing like your first car, no matter what it was. 

My first car was an '82 Mustang body with a straight-6 out of a Grand Marquis shoehorned in to it.  Absolute wreck of a car.  The combination of engine and drive train meant the speedometer was off by a factor of 1.2 (I had to divide by 1.2 to get the actual speed).  Wouldn't do 75 if you dropped it out of an airplane. 

It leaked oil like a sieve, dad told me to get it fixed and stop leaving oil stains on the driveway...but since it was an $800 job to replace the oil pan gasket (since you had to pull the engine to do it), but only a $200 car, I just kept enough oil in it to keep the valves quiet - about a quart - and drove it with almost no oil...for 30,000 miles.  Then it blew a head gasket...and I drove it another 5,000 miles - it basically burned a mix of gas, oil, and antifreeze.  God, that Ford straight-6 was a bulletproof engine.  

And of course, the combination of engine and rear-wheel drive was unimaginable in the winter.  At Main in Clarence one day, at the stop sign on Shimerville, I just took my foot of the break, and the car just casually did two slow, complete 360's straight across Main.

I only got rid of the car after I was sitting at a stoplight one day, and the driver's seat fell through the rusted-out floor, with me in it.

That piece of shit had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  But I still have have very fond memories of it.  

• Wow 1
  • Haha 5
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

That piece of shit had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.  But I still have have very fond memories of it.  

I'll take "Last thing my ex-wife said before leaving me with nothing" for $200, Alex.

• Haha 5
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

My first car was an '82 Mustang body with a straight-6 out of a Grand Marquis shoehorned in to it.  Absolute wreck of a car.  The combination of engine and drive train meant the speedometer was off by a factor of 1.2 (I had to divide by 1.2 to get the actual speed).  Wouldn't do 75 if you dropped it out of an airplane. 

It leaked oil like a sieve, dad told me to get it fixed and stop leaving oil stains on the driveway...but since it was an $800 job to replace the oil pan gasket (since you had to pull the engine to do it), but only a $200 car, I just kept enough oil in it to keep the valves quiet - about a quart - and drove it with almost no oil...for 30,000 miles.  Then it blew a head gasket...and I drove it another 5,000 miles - it basically burned a mix of gas, oil, and antifreeze.  God, that Ford straight-6 was a bulletproof engine.  

And of course, the combination of engine and rear-wheel drive was unimaginable in the winter.  At Main in Clarence one day, at the stop sign on Shimerville, I just took my foot of the break, and the car just casually did two slow, complete 360's straight across Main.

I only got rid of the car after I was sitting at a stoplight one day, and the driver's seat fell through the rusted-out floor, with me in it.

My first car was a '72 Plymouth Duster. That car was nothing special but I loved it because it was my first. We lived out in farm country and I have never had a car that was better in snow, that thing would drive through two feet of unplowed snow. Always got us where we wanted to go.

I once had a Dodge Dart with a straight-6 in it, '74 maybe. The Dart series was a pretty cool design except for that one year, ugly as sin.

YVpHoS8.jpg

I don't know about your Ford straight-6 but my Chrysler plant ran better with 1-quart or less in it than it did with a full compliment. I could tell by the rocker noise when the engine was empty and it was time to dump another quart into it. It didn't really leak oil and the smoke was minor so not real sure where it was going. Not real sure what ultimately ended up happening with it either but it sure didn't owe me a dime.

@Fansince88 maybe these last few posts would be better split off as a separate thread. Would you mind being the OP?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I often look back at those "humble beginnings"  and thank God for where he has brought me.  My first was a 78 Civic. Was a great car. Best 250$ I could have spent at 16. That is what I had the cash for in 1986 off my grocery bagging / hay putting up income. Unlike your stang I had that to 110mph and it shook so bad you would see double.  Drove that until my then girlfriend now wife was in the passenger seat and the large puddle I went through pulled the floor board out from under her seat and soaked her Sunday dress. Actually, tin and pop rivets kept it going until I could afford my 500$ 81 Oldsmobile Omega 2.5ltr 4sp. Rode like a charm. That said, I learned most of my mechanic skills on that car. Old mechanic that lived up the road from me tutored me through changing that engine for 75$. A month later I changed the transmission. Couple transaxles. complete break job. Did all of that in 18 months before my then fiancé now wife was in the passenger seat and we got T-boned.  

• Cheers 1

I replied to a post in the dreaded Dolphins chat. Somehow we hijacked it unknowingly and some guy named @Foxx suggested I OP one and figured over here would be great. Here was my reply to @Crap Throwing Clavin. Feel free all to merge your posts over to here. 

I often look back at those "humble beginnings"  and thank God for where he has brought me.  My first was a 78 Civic. Was a great car. Best 250$ I could have spent at 16. That is what I had the cash for in 1986 off my grocery bagging / hay putting up income. Unlike your stang I had that to 110mph and it shook so bad you would see double.  Drove that until my then girlfriend now wife was in the passenger seat and the large puddle I went through pulled the floor board out from under her seat and soaked her Sunday dress. Actually, tin and pop rivets kept it going until I could afford my 500$ 81 Oldsmobile Omega 2.5ltr 4sp. Rode like a charm. That said, I learned most of my mechanic skills on that car. Old mechanic that lived up the road from me tutored me through changing that engine for 75$. A month later I changed the transmission. Couple transaxles. complete break job. Did all of that in 18 months before my then fiancé now wife was in the passenger seat and we got T-boned.  

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Foxx said:

My first car was a '72 Plymouth Duster. That car was nothing special but I loved it because it was my first. We lived out in farm country and I have never had a car that was better in snow, that thing would drive through two feet of unplowed snow. Always got us where we wanted to go.

I once had a Dodge dart with a straight-6 in it, '74 maybe. The Dart series was a pretty cool design except for that one year, ugly as sin.

YVpHoS8.jpg

I don't know about your Ford straight-6 but my Chrysler plant ran better with 1-quart or less in it than it did with a full compliment. I could tell by the rocker noise when the engine was empty and it was time to dump another quart into it. It didn't really leak oil and the smoke was minor so not real sure where it was going. Not real sure what ultimately ended up happening with it but it sure didn't owe me a dime.

@Fansince88 maybe these last few posts would be better split off as a separate thread. Would you mind being the OP?

Great idea for a thread. Find it over here guys and gals!! Now we can get back on topic. FINS SUCK!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I did the same thing in the snow at Main and Bailey. 

Rooster-tailing like a weird snow fountain. 

• Cheers 2

My first car was a late 70s model V-8 Chrysler Cordoba.  If it didn't stall,  it had plenty of speed.

I hated that car. I called it "the pig" because it ate my money in constant repair dollars. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

My first car was a late 70s model V-8 Chrysler Cordoba.  If it didn't stall,  it had plenty of speed.

I hated that car. I called it "the pig" because it ate my money in constant repair dollars. 

This is what that reminded me of. 

YARN | I am getting the pig! | RED | Video gifs by quotes ...

I'm getting the pig! | John malkovich, Movies, Action movies

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ann said:

I loved that movie. That car? Not-so-much.

Great group of actors in that one for sure. They did well together.

• Like 2