Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Light 💡 bulb ban coming in August

mead107

Biden admin moving forward with light bulb bans in coming weeks

LED light bulbs 'currently cost more than incandescent bulbs and are inferior,' consumer groups said in letter to U.S. Department of Energy

• Facepalm 2

The article the above is from:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-admin-moving-forward-light-bulb-bans-coming-weeks

The regulations, which prohibit retailers from selling incandescent light bulbs, were finalized by the Department of Energy (DOE) in April 2022 and are slated to go into effect on Aug. 1, 2023. The DOE will begin full enforcement of the ban on that date, but it has already urged retailers to begin transitioning away from the light bulb type and, in recent months, begun issuing warning notices to companies.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

I thought incandescents were already banned?  I haven't seen any in 10 years at least; maybe it's just in Maryland.  I've only seen CFLs or LED bulbs.

And hey, guess what...Maryland is banning CFL's now, too.  :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I thought incandescents were already banned?  I haven't seen any in 10 years at least; maybe it's just in Maryland.  I've only seen CFLs or LED bulbs.

I'm in Maryland too and I have had no problems finding incandescent but I probably travel in different circles and stores than you. :hysterical:

I already have mostly LEDs in my home, but remember them selling people on the cost that they would last forever? Yeah, that didn't work out as I don't think I get as much as the older incandescent bulbs, especially in the bathrooms probably because of humidity as they are never on as long as most others. 

Some of the problems though....

They don't make an LED or a CFL that can take the heat to work in an oven. 

If you put an LED in a multi-brightness lamp, it will work on only to of them and then the same problem next

If you have a touch on off lamp, the LED will flicker when it is supposed to be off.

I mean, there are work arounds to all of that except the oven, I've put in a lot of adjustable smart bulbs in like kitchen, dining area, and my bedroom. But the drawback to them is when the power goes out, those lights default to "on" when the power come back on.

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Cinga said:

I'm in Maryland too and I have had no problems finding incandescent but I probably travel in different circles and stores than you. :hysterical:

Where are you going that you're finding incandescent bulbs?  Aside from appliance bulbs, I haven't seen an standard E26 light bulb in ages. 

I do use mostly LEDs at this point...but the people saying they last "five times longer" than other bulbs are full of shit.  Twice as long, maybe.  At five times the price.

And what CFLs I have...they go in the trash.  If MD wants me to use them, I'm not going out of my way to dispose of them.  MD can deal with the mercury contamination.

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Where are you going that you're finding incandescent bulbs?  Aside from appliance bulbs, I haven't seen an standard E26 light bulb in ages. 

I do use mostly LEDs at this point...but the people saying they last "five times longer" than other bulbs are full of shit.  Twice as long, maybe.  At five times the price.

And what CFLs I have...they go in the trash.  If MD wants me to use them, I'm not going out of my way to dispose of them.  MD can deal with the mercury contamination.

We buy the led via packs in Lowes. Pretty reasonable. As you and @Cingamentioned, you are not getting much longer life. That said, recessed kits come with a different type of LED system that dos last much longer and install without the large recessed cans like years ago. We saved enough in cost of operation that National Greed has raised the price of electricity to compensate for our savings. 

• Like 3

On 4/1/2023 at 4:17 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Haven't seen any in NYS in ages either.  Stocked up on 100 W bulbs when 44 announced they were going away.  Wasn't ready for the lower wattage bulbs to go away shortly thereafter.

Which stinks, because a lot of our fixtures aren't rated for 100 W bulbs.  

• 3 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Light bulb ban???

Is it me or is this "so called" administration COMPLETELY out of touch with reality???

"We wander aimlessly in the dark.  Why can't everyone else?"

• Haha 1