• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann

• Foxx

• Alaska Darin

• Crap Throwing Clavin

Travis Kelce Is Going for It

</snip>

Kelce unfurled a white cloth napkin wrapped around unused silverware to dry the accumulating tears. “He caught me at a moment in my life where I was down in the dumps. I didn’t really think much of myself,” he says. He had a turbulent career at Cincinnati, where he arrived as a quarterback, left a tight end, and endured a yearlong suspension for smoking pot in between. “When I got hit with what I was going through,” he said of this seminal moment, “I found out how many people were in my corner.”

After an undefeated regular season in 2009, Cincinnati was invited to play in the Sugar Bowl, and Kelce hit Bourbon Street hard. “I was down in New Orleans, listening to Lil Wayne, and I wanted to smoke what he was smoking,” he recalls. But on New Year’s Eve, the night before the game and after days of cutting loose, he and his teammates were summoned for a drug test by the NCAA. “I’m just sitting there, dead in the water,” he recalled. Under NCAA rules at the time, Kelce was dealt a one-year suspension. “I just wanted to get out of there,” he says. “I was so embarrassed, I didn’t want to look at anybody.”

Kelce wrestled with a suddenly uncertain future in lengthy phone calls with his parents. “I told him it’s a great learning opportunity. Live with it. Grow from it. Learn from it. It is what it is, and you just have to deal with it now,” Ed Kelce, his dad, recalls. “All the while, I’m biting my tongue about how stupid it is that they’re going to suspend a college kid for smoking pot. Give me a &#%$ing break.”

What Kelce endured could now be categorized as a relic from a more uptight era, before widespread legalization. Under the NFL’s marijuana policy, which was adjusted in 2021, players are only tested during a two-week window at the start of training camp in the summer, which he says has made it a cinch to pass. “If you just stop in the middle of July, you’re fine,” he says. “A lot of guys stop a week before and they still pass because everybody’s working out in the heat and sweating their tail off. Nobody’s really getting hit for it anymore.” (He estimates that anywhere from 50 to 80 percent of players in the NFL use cannabis.)

</snip>

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
23 hours ago, Ann said:

Travis Kelce Is Going for It

</snip>

Kelce unfurled a white cloth napkin wrapped around unused silverware to dry the accumulating tears. “He caught me at a moment in my life where I was down in the dumps. I didn’t really think much of myself,” he says. He had a turbulent career at Cincinnati, where he arrived as a quarterback, left a tight end, and endured a yearlong suspension for smoking pot in between. “When I got hit with what I was going through,” he said of this seminal moment, “I found out how many people were in my corner.”

After an undefeated regular season in 2009, Cincinnati was invited to play in the Sugar Bowl, and Kelce hit Bourbon Street hard. “I was down in New Orleans, listening to Lil Wayne, and I wanted to smoke what he was smoking,” he recalls. But on New Year’s Eve, the night before the game and after days of cutting loose, he and his teammates were summoned for a drug test by the NCAA. “I’m just sitting there, dead in the water,” he recalled. Under NCAA rules at the time, Kelce was dealt a one-year suspension. “I just wanted to get out of there,” he says. “I was so embarrassed, I didn’t want to look at anybody.”

Kelce wrestled with a suddenly uncertain future in lengthy phone calls with his parents. “I told him it’s a great learning opportunity. Live with it. Grow from it. Learn from it. It is what it is, and you just have to deal with it now,” Ed Kelce, his dad, recalls. “All the while, I’m biting my tongue about how stupid it is that they’re going to suspend a college kid for smoking pot. Give me a &#%$ing break.”

What Kelce endured could now be categorized as a relic from a more uptight era, before widespread legalization. Under the NFL’s marijuana policy, which was adjusted in 2021, players are only tested during a two-week window at the start of training camp in the summer, which he says has made it a cinch to pass. “If you just stop in the middle of July, you’re fine,” he says. “A lot of guys stop a week before and they still pass because everybody’s working out in the heat and sweating their tail off. Nobody’s really getting hit for it anymore.” (He estimates that anywhere from 50 to 80 percent of players in the NFL use cannabis.)

</snip>

Shoulda just ripped some toradol.  :classic_dry:

• Haha 2

Ranking NFL rosters for the 2023 season: Strengths, weaknesses

3. Buffalo Bills

Strongest unit: Safety. Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer have been nothing short of elite since teaming up in Buffalo in 2017. Both are 32 years old and missed substantial time in 2022, so perhaps a slip in play could be in store. But Buffalo will have a healthy Damar Hamlin and newcomer Taylor Rapp (who played 90% of the Rams' defensive snaps in 2022) as quality depth. -- Clay

Weakest unit: Wide receiver depth. Stefon Diggs is elite, but No. 2 WR Gabe Davis was limited to a situational deep-threat role for most of 2022. Davis is back, but Cole Beasley, Isaiah McKenzie and Jamison Crowder are gone and will be "replaced" by journeymen Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield and Day 3 fliers Khalil Shakir and Justin Shorter. Buffalo will need a big rookie season from versatile tight end Dalton Kincaid. -- Clay

X factor for 2023: Safeties Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde. Two years ago they fueled the league's best defense, but in 2022 they combined for just 14 games played. Both are up in there in age, but do they have one more strong season left in them? -- Walder

Nonstarter to know: WR Deonte Harty. In 2021, Harty was efficient with a 30% target rate and a 2.9 yards per route run that trailed only those of Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel and Davante Adams. Injuries limited him in 2022, but those numbers still have me intrigued. -- Walder

Top 10 on the list:

1. KC
2. Philly
3. Buffalo
4. Miami
5. Cincinnati
6. Dallas
7. LA
8. San Francisco
9. Cleveland
10. Jets

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann said:

Weakest unit: Wide receiver depth. Stefon Diggs is elite, but No. 2 WR Gabe Davis was limited to a situational deep-threat role for most of 2022. Davis is back, but Cole Beasley, Isaiah McKenzie and Jamison Crowder are gone and will be "replaced" by journeymen Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield and Day 3 fliers Khalil Shakir and Justin Shorter. Buffalo will need a big rookie season from versatile tight end Dalton Kincaid. -- Clay

So two guys who combined for eight catches on the year plus the worst offensive player on the 2022 team have somehow left a gaping void that can can't be realistically filled by the four guys mentioned. Yeah, ok. Even by the usual 'standards' of ESPN that is an embarrassingly bad take.

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

So two guys who combined for eight catches on the year plus the worst offensive player on the 2022 team have somehow left a gaping void that can can't be realistically filled by the four guys mentioned. Yeah, ok. Even by the usual 'standards' of ESPN that is an embarrassingly bad take.

You'd think with ESPN laying off so many people that some of their writers would step up their game.

But they're sports writers. This IS their game stepped up. 

• FANtastic 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

You'd think with ESPN laying off so many people that some of their writers would step up their game.

But they're sports writers. This IS their game stepped up. 

Half surprised the article didn't make a trans rights reference.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ann said:

At least he wasn't betting on basketball games while sitting in the Titans parking lot.

• Haha 1