Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sad News; Rick Jeanneret has passed away.

B-Man

Alaska Darin

In a world where far too many things are based on formula, RJ really stood out.  He was a unique broadcaster and by all accounts a stellar human being.  In my mind, he'll always be the voice of hockey - not just the Buffalo Sabres.  He and Jimmy Lorenz are the absolute gold standard for game broadcasting.  If there's ever been a better duo, I haven't heard them.

I did color commentary for the Anchorage Aces of the WCHL/ECHL for a few years when I was younger.  After my first weekend, the GM stopped by and asked me where I'd gotten my experience.  "I grew up listening to Rick Jeanerette and Rick Peckam (Amerks).  I couldn't have had better teachers if I'd gone to broadcasting school."  I was the kid who listened to pretty much every game while I was in bed with a single earphone hooked to my little transistor radio.  He's as big a reason for my hockey fandom as any player I've watched.

RIP to the best ever.  One of my greatest sport's regrets will always be not hearing you call a Stanley Cup winner.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 3