Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

There Are Interceptions and Then There are "Other Things."

Keukasmallie

#1:  So the QB throws a pass to his receiver, but a defensive back jumps the route and catches the pass.  That's an interception for sure.  

#2:  Again, the QB throws a pass to his receiver,  but the receiver muffs the catch and the defensive back catches it before it hits the ground; or the QB throws a pass, it's tipped at the los by a defensive lineman and caught by a linebacker.  I don't think  scenario #2 is an interception.  It is a change of possession for sure, but not because of the initial force of the QB passing the ball.  In this situation, I think the event sould be labelled a tipped ball and not accrue to the QB's ration of interceptions.

What say you?  Do I just have too much time on my hands, or is there some rationale behind the above thoughts?

Crap Throwing Clavin

It's an attempted pass that ends up in the hands of a defender and is turned over.  It's an interception.  

The league already over-complicates every damned thing.  Keep it simple.

• Like 1

It would come down to judgment calls, although tipped could be a category.

That first interception yesterday was on Gabe Davis, yet Josh Allen gets “another” turnover added to his stats. I don’t like it, but I get why.

6 minutes ago, Ann said:

It would come down to judgment calls, although tipped could be a category.

That first interception yesterday was on Gabe Davis, yet Josh Allen gets “another” turnover added to his stats. I don’t like it, but I get why.

Give the interception to Gabe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Give the interception to Gabe?

Error like in baseball. Pitcher gets a hit if the ball cant be fielded. If the first baseman mishandles the hit it is an error. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Well as long as we’re going down this dark stanky alleyway, why doesn’t the Defense get to subtract point from their opponent’s score when the D scores points? 

It would probably look a bit like Australian Rules Football scores. 

14 to -6. 

CarpetCrawler

I think your 2nd scenario in #2 belongs with #1, if it's touched by a defender first, it should be an interception. If the QB can't clear the LOS cleanly, then it's on him. Same for anything tipped farther downfield, if a defender gets to the ball first, even if it's just to tip it, then it's on the QB.

But if the QB delivers the ball right to the receiver's hands and he stone hands it to a defender, then it seems fair to take some of the blame off the QB.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 10:06 PM, CarpetCrawler said:

I think your 2nd scenario in #2 belongs with #1, if it's touched by a defender first, it should be an interception. If the QB can't clear the LOS cleanly, then it's on him. Same for anything tipped farther downfield, if a defender gets to the ball first, even if it's just to tip it, then it's on the QB.

But if the QB delivers the ball right to the receiver's hands and he stone hands it to a defender, then it seems fair to take some of the blame off the QB.

This seems to be a 'tweener' and might be even harder to adjudicate.

Maybe CT Clavin is right...[but only this once]