Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Round 1 picks other than WR

SquirminThurman

SquirminThurman

So most folks expect the Bills to go WR in round 1.

What if they don't? It's a deep QB and WR class, so go against the grain.

Pick a defender in round 1 that falls.

I could see DE and S as round 1 picks other than WR.

DE - Darius Robinson - 6'5" 285.

If 10 teams  choose a QB or WR then why not look at defense? NASTY first step. The Bills need DL help. Why not?

Edited by SquirminThurman
  • Like 3

Wide receiver or bust!

Not really. I have no idea who they will draft first, I just hope it is a starter.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Alaska Darin

DT, S, CB, WR, & DE are all on the table.  I will not be surprised if Beane trades up or back depending on how the round falls.  Most seasons teams only have 20-25 players with first round grades, so sitting at 28 means there's more than a decent possibility that we don't have a single option when our number is finally called.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

DT, S, CB, WR, & DE are all on the table.  I will not be surprised if Beane trades up or back depending on how the round falls.  Most seasons teams only have 20-25 players with first round grades, so sitting at 28 means there's more than a decent possibility that we don't have a single option when our number is finally called.

And that is in an average to good draft class.  When we took Erik Flowers in 2000 I recall it said that there were only 12-15 players with first round grades.  

• Applause 1

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

And that is in an average to good draft class.  When we took Erik Flowers in 2000 I recall it said that there were only 12-15 players with first round grades.  

I will never get over the fact that we passed on SU's Keith Bullock for that clown.

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

DT and DE are always on the table, somehow.  

• Like 2

CarpetCrawler
11 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

If 10 teams  choose a QB or WR then why not look at defense? NASTY first step. The Bills need DL help. Why not?

He's probably the only one who could realistically still be there at #28 that I would consider over WR. 

It would be a real head-scratcher between could get back in the early 2nd round to get a 2nd level WR like Legette, or what could I get if I traded the pick and got another 2nd and 3rd or something for #28 ???

• Like 2

art_vandelay

If we arent trading up in the draft, and the top 4 (where I'm including Brian Thomas Jr as #4) are all gone, then I really wouldnt mind if we waited for rd2 for a wr.  Between AD Mitchell and McConkey, which I believe one (likely) or maybe both might still be there at 28, I just dont think they're that much of a better prospect than Keon Coleman, Franklin, Roman Wilson, Legette, etc..  which we can go after in the next round.

Darius Robinson... not sure how he fits.  He's got a real quick first step for a DT, and he's super strong, but I'm not sure he's going to be a big sack guy.   So if we want another Groot type of pass rusher (good at contain and vs. the run), then so be it. 

Otherwise, if I'm thinking of realistic players that would fall to #28, I'm praying Chop Robinson falls, or Johnny Newton (DT), Kris Jenkins, and failing that, Cooper Dejean (not that I really want a safety in rd1, but there's a need, and this is such a weak safety class).   And unless we switch to man, I dont think there's value with going CB in round 1.   Either way, we're not getting a 'sexy' pick at the end of the round.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

SquirminThurman
On 4/23/2024 at 1:08 PM, art_vandelay said:

If we arent trading up in the draft, and the top 4 (where I'm including Brian Thomas Jr as #4) are all gone, then I really wouldnt mind if we waited for rd2 for a wr.  Between AD Mitchell and McConkey, which I believe one (likely) or maybe both might still be there at 28, I just dont think they're that much of a better prospect than Keon Coleman, Franklin, Roman Wilson, Legette, etc..  which we can go after in the next round.

Darius Robinson... not sure how he fits.  He's got a real quick first step for a DT, and he's super strong, but I'm not sure he's going to be a big sack guy.   So if we want another Groot type of pass rusher (good at contain and vs. the run), then so be it. 

Otherwise, if I'm thinking of realistic players that would fall to #28, I'm praying Chop Robinson falls, or Johnny Newton (DT), Kris Jenkins, and failing that, Cooper Dejean (not that I really want a safety in rd1, but there's a need, and this is such a weak safety class).   And unless we switch to man, I dont think there's value with going CB in round 1.   Either way, we're not getting a 'sexy' pick at the end of the round.

Agree on the S class. Tyler Nubin is probably the best overall S in the draft and could be there at 28. If they went Nubin in the 1st and moved up in the 2nd for Legette or Pearsall that would make sense. I'm sleeping on Roman Wilson, need to look at him more.

Just say no to Coleman!! I think he is going to have big issues separating in the NFL. Think Mims or Hardy (RIP).

SquirminThurman
On 4/22/2024 at 11:26 PM, SquirminThurman said:

The best Safety in the draft is

Got picked #27! So close...

• Like 2

SquirminThurman

Robinson ended up going #27 overall, 1 pick before the Bills pick at #28 to the Cardinals.

I was on point!

• Like 1