Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Draft Aftermath

SquirminThurman

SquirminThurman

The Eagles and the Dolphins had amazing drafts.

I hate to say that as a Bills fan, but those two teams killed it.

I would rather the Bills win in February in New Orleans than in April in Detroit.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

12 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

You may want to contact him.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 3

Very solid draft from Brandon Beane

Checked needs

Good players.

Lotsa fun athletes Good character.

Fits #Bills culture

No glaring reaches Even added a 4th next year.

The negatives….

For a team that needs speed (and a GM that repeatedly talks about chasing it), they didn’t get much.

In a reset year, had to be a home run draft to see Bills as top Super Bowl contender.

This was a double.

Really hard to hit homers at pick 28.

• Cheers 2

Draft aftermath: thank you to all the Mods on here for following, covering, and posting updates.  Great job!  :beer:

• Like 3
  • Cheers 3

IDBillzFan
13 hours ago, SquirminThurman said:

Until the Fish get a new quarterback, the only thing they killed were the careers of all the people they just drafted.

CBS sports gave them a B

Coleman didn't do it for me on film. For his size and athletic profile -- and he's not stiff, just doesn't routinely get open -- I expected him to be more dominant in traffic tracking the ball deep. Buffalo then countered with a stellar selection -- Bishop in Round 2. He's going to be a star with Sean McDermott. 

Carter is high-floor rusher, and the Bills had a sneaky need at defensive tackle because Ed Oliver was previously the only upfield interior rusher on the roster. I would've gone in many other directions instead of Davis. After that, Van-Pran Granger can be a high-caliber starter in time, and Ulofoshio is a smooth operator, another with a high floor. Solomon is the exact type of smaller, bendier outside rusher this roster has desperately needed, and Hardy is uber-talented at cornerback. My disagreement with the first selection sinks this grade a bit, and I'm surprised they didn't double-dip at receiver. 

• Like 1

Mel Kiper gives the Bills a B

My ears perked up when I heard Buffalo was trading with Kansas City in Round 1, and now the Bills will forever be linked with the Chiefs' move for wideout  Xavier Worthy, just as they are with Patrick Mahomes. Yes, all the way back in the 2017 draft, it was the Bills who dropped 18 spots to allow the Chiefs to get a player who already is one of the greatest quarterbacks in league history. Sure, hindsight is 20-20, and sure, Buffalo has to do what's best for its organization. That's a mighty weight it has carried around, however, and now Mahomes was handed the fastest receiver in NFL combine history.

GM Brandon Beane ended up trading down one more time, this time out of Round 1 completely. He finally filled his team's biggest need, taking Keon Coleman (33) at the top of Round 2. Coleman ran a 4.61 40-yard dash at the combine, which dropped his stock a little bit, but at 6-3, he can go up and snag contested catches with the best of them. The next step is to be more consistent on every route. He's going to get a lot of targets in an offense that needs quality pass-catchers on the outside.

I liked several of Beane's other selections. Cole Bishop (60) is a versatile playmaker in the secondary, while running back Ray Davis (128) had seven receiving scores last season, which makes him an interesting player at the next level. DeWayne Carter (95) can get after quarterbacks from his defensive tackle spot, while Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (141) was a three-year starter at Georgia. I could see him challenging veteran Connor McGovern for snaps as a rookie. Off-ball linebacker Edefuan Ulofoshio (160) had a great workout at the combine and was one of my risers.

This is a good haul, not a great one, and I'm rooting for Coleman to turn into a WR1 in Buffalo so my guy Josh Allen wins an MVP.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 hours ago, Ann said:

You may want to contact him.

Seriously, @SquirminThurman, do it.  I'd genuinely like to see this.  

Not because I'd like to see you get buried, or even expect it.  But you clearly do your homework, and I'd like to see you apply it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Ann said:

Kind-of how I feel about it.  No All-Pros, but solid picks in a cap-constrained year, forming a base for next year with much more cap space.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2