Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hobbies

RochesterRob

Just wondering what people did for relaxation in their spare time.  I have a couple Lionel trains that I ought to set up some time that I have not looked at for quite a long time now.  A good friend of mine does vintage radios.  A cousin does farm toys.  Anybody restore classic cars?

I go out geocaching when the weather is ok   and  taking care pf my elderly mom doest interfere. Can be done anywhere as there are millions of them in every country except I believe   NK.Just need a GPS or an app on your phone now.

Edited by Wacka

Hunting and fishing are my most consistent hobbies. I also take my Jeep off roading, and like to camp and hike a lot. I still consider myself a home brewer too, although I haven’t made a batch of beer in several years. I just recently started loading my own ammo. Didn’t pick a good time to get into that one as components have been scarce since covid hit.

Two things occupy my time...

1. Home Brewing.  I like to make my own beer.

2. Precision shooting sports.  I coach a precision junior rifle team as well as compete in air rifle, smallbore 3 position rifle and also bullseye pistol.  My avatar is my daughter shooting in the 2013 NRA national matches as a sub junior (13 yo).  That picture was used in the following year's match program.

• Like 3

leh-nerd skin-erd

I was pretty active with my children, coaching, booster club stuff, that sort of thing....and then my children grew up.  Just starting to dabble in real estate.  I bought a house behind my office owned by an old lady who was a hoarder, buying a second one on the other side of the office to own the corner.  My boys want to own some property, so the potential is there for a nice family thing.  my daughter lives out of town but was helping me paint last weekend when she was home.  

I also have a 2 bay garage on my office property that I’m converting into a wood shop.  Had a nice cement floor poured this year, new electrical service run, and will finish it in the spring.  I’m not a gifted woodworker, in fact, I have no real experience at all in it.  I’m hoping to take some classes, do some online stuff and figure out this creative side that always seems to want to take a swing at things.  

• Like 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
45 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I collect pinback buttons................all types................approaching 3,000.

Just remembered—I found this in the rental a couple months back.  Yours if you want it.    I wore it around the house for several days after I found it.  I kept bringing things home—old albums (some very cool oldies in pristine condition). Drove my wife crazy, and I kept asking her if I could count on her vote for Stratton.  I thought she might have thrown it out but so far, it survives.  Life expectancy here is 6 mos😔

60FAB723-F713-48C0-AC78-34E460BBBEA8.jpeg

• FANtastic 1

leh-nerd skin-erd
1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Just remembered—I found this in the rental a couple months back.  Yours if you want it.    I wore it around the house for several days after I found it.  I kept bringing things home—old albums (some very cool oldies in pristine condition). Drove my wife crazy, and I kept asking her if I could count on her vote for Stratton.  I thought she might have thrown it out but so far, it survives.  Life expectancy here is 6 mos😔

60FAB723-F713-48C0-AC78-34E460BBBEA8.jpeg

Btw—you absolutely will not hurt my feelings if you don’t want it.  

I joined a golf course in august. Hadn’t played in eight years. It’s very quickly taking over most of my daily thought process. I should be able to play through most of the winter, so hopefully it keeps me busy. 

12 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Btw—you absolutely will not hurt my feelings if you don’t want it.  

Thank you.

Of course I want it. That is how I got the majority of my collection, through the generosity of others.

I will PM you.

-- B-Man

leh-nerd skin-erd
19 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thank you.

Of course I want it. That is how I got the majority of my collection, through the generosity of others.

I will PM you.

-- B-Man

It will be done.  

Btw—in some small way, this transaction will serve as an homage to my visit to St B as a college freshman, living at home but visiting a buddy who decided to attend school there.  

It was a magical night—drinking, meeting new people, a night at the skellar (apologies if I’m mixing that name up with other visits, but I’m damn near certain that’s what you called it) where my friend bartended and the drinks were cheap and cold.  

As it all played out, I met a nice young lady from Buffalo, we had some laughs and as the night gave way to morning, I damn near closed THE deal. 

Now, for you Brad Pitt lookin-mofos, that sorta night ending up with the Bronze Medal might have been disappointing.  For me, well I’d be the well known and lovable character actor just happy to be considered. 

As a result of that weekend, iI redoubled my effort to go away to school, did so junior year, and as the dominos fell I ended up here, the king of all that I survey, father of 3, and a husband loved and cherished by his wife 5 days out of 7.  I am as well, finder of  the coveted Stratton For Governor button.:dancing:

What an awesome weekend-hadn’t thought about that in a while.  🍺 to you my friend! 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I play table top RPGs, a handful of video games (Mostly The Elder Scrolls Online and the occasional South Park: The Stick Of Truth), as well as writing and recording original music. Hobbies have been responsible for helping me to hang onto my sanity during this COVID fiasco. 

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I read military history.  

I read military history somewhat as a boy.  I'm thinking that you are most likely quite a bit more read up on a wider variety of related topics.  I should go back and reread some things such as the Battle of Midway as some of the accounts (IJN flight leader Fuchida) have been called into question.