Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Anyone ever install a driveway & sidewalk snow melting system?

FDR

Helping my parents go through the process of downsizing and building a new home in WNY. Anyone ever install a driveway & walkway snow melting system?

Worth the investment? 

Nope. I had asked hubby about it years ago when we got our driveway installed, but we did not pull the trigger.
I do know someone who has done it, however. He's out on Grand Island and loves it (just the driveway, no public sidewalks where they live). 

• Like 1

Beer__League__Hockey

Will it be electric or hot water? I’ve seen hot water systems at old school commercial locations.  But I would guess electric would be the way to go for residential?

The commercial location that has it is amazing.  I would spring for it if building new, but I would do a quick cost comparison vs. paying Plow King.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Will it be electric or hot water? I’ve seen hot water systems at old school commercial locations.  But I would guess electric would be the way to go for residential?

The commercial location that has it is amazing.  I would spring for it if building new, but I would do a quick cost comparison vs. paying Plow King.

I am still doing my due diligence on electric or hot water. I know both have their pros and cons.

Building a ranch and trying to minimize maintenance and extra steps.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 10:40 PM, DC Tom said:

I did design a portable system out of an upright dolly, some propane grill burners, a leaf blower, and some sheet metal.  But for some inexplicable reason my wife won't let me use it.

So you're the one who stole my patented blueprints for a "pressure washer with a twist."

My theory was that flame works better than water, as long as you pay close attention.

• Like 1