Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

RB Devonta Freeman visting Bills (signed to PS)

You Dirty Rat

Just now, Boyst said:

Why not?  We've heard of him!

But seriously, why not?

Yup, slim pikens at this stage of the season.   Need to have a plan B if Antonio or Yeldon don't produce.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Yup, slim pikens at this stage of the season.   Need to have a plan B if Antonio or Yeldon don't produce.

Anyone wanting to think Yeldon will be an answer is fooling themselves. He's a good backup RB, Kenny Davis lite.

Antonio is the choice i would put some weight on. I'd see what he does between now and Thursday, sign Freeman to get some reps and see how he looks in our system

In the meantime I decise a lot of RPO's using play action with Singleterry. I've seen film of a few great RPO's where the RB either blocks or becomes a pass option, if he doesn't get the handoff. We have run similar plays with Isiah McKenzie, also. Singleterry is a great blocker and we need to have hope that Beasley, Brown, Knox, Davis, and even Kroft can come in for this game.

Our FB can also be utilized as an H back to throw schemes off, and more importantly split out wide to pick up short gains similar to a few plays DiMarco had in Houston and late last year.

If he has to play, the team is in trouble.

I don't get the Williams love.  Appears in one game in mop up duty and he becomes the next HOF practice squad receiver.

Bottom line - Beane is going all in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

If he has to play, the team is in trouble.

I don't get the Williams love.  Appears in one game in mop up duty and he becomes the next HOF practice squad receiver.

Bottom line - Beane is going all in.

What love?  

There were 4 RBs on the roster, with one inactive for nearly every game, the other one not seeing any time in the offense until an ugly end zone drop.

It's January 12, and 50% of your run game just got injured for the season.  What choice does McDermott have, other than activating Williams or Yeldon?

11 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

I don't get this either.  They need someone who knows the playbook and can 1) pass block, 2) catch the ball, 3) run the ball.

Yeldon may not be great at any of those things, but he's certainly the best package available.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I don't get this either.  They need someone who knows the playbook and can 1) pass block, 2) catch the ball, 3) run the ball.

Yeldon may not be great at any of those things, but he's certainly the best package available.

He's also a hell of a receiver we could sure use out of the backfield with Baltimore coming to town. I suspect at least early the Ravens will try to bring the heat on Josh so he is going to need those quick checkdowns to make them back off.

46 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I'm good with Yeldon too, and don't really understand the knock on him. I know he's not an elite talent with future HOFer written all over him, but to my amateur eye he seems like a serviceable back. His career average is 4.1 ypc which is reasonable, and he's a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. As a RB2 on a pass heavy team I really don't see him as a liability.

The biggest problem I see is that neither Yeldon nor Singletary is particularly well suited for short yardage situations. I'd still like to have Antonio Williams active for that role. It's a small sample size, but he was running with authority against Miami.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler

I've always like Yeldon, he was a great fill in for Fournette when he had the chances. 

There's this too:

Joe Buscaglia
@JoeBuscaglia
·
1h
An interesting possibility with the #Bills signing of RB Devonta Freeman. He was on the Reserve/COVID-19 list for 2 weeks in December.

That means he could be eligible to practice immediately without needing to go through the usual onboarding process & practice as early as today

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Robs House said:

I'm good with Yeldon too, and don't really understand the knock on him. I know he's not an elite talent with future HOFer written all over him, but to my amateur eye he seems like a serviceable back. His career average is 4.1 ypc which is reasonable, and he's a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. As a RB2 on a pass heavy team I really don't see him as a liability.

The biggest problem I see is that neither Yeldon nor Singletary is particularly well suited for short yardage situations. I'd still like to have Antonio Williams active for that role. It's a small sample size, but he was running with authority against Miami.

^^^THIS^^^

Sit Taiwan Jones and keep SIngletary, Yeldon, and Williams. I think Williams could do the short yardage and spell Singletary while Yeldon has much better hands than Jones.