Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Anybody get a shingles vaccine?

GG1

Got the first shot yesterday, and doc said that I may experience mild pain for a few days ...

My entire left side feels semi-paralyzed and tingly.  That's some definition of mild pain.

• Sad 2

Yup....got my first shot about two months ago.  Slightly uncomfortable for a day or two but nothing like you describe.

Lately I feel like I'm getting the equivalent of the 90,000 mile service there's so much on me that needs to be done.

My doctor always recommends it. I had Shingles a few years ago.  It was "funny".  I googled my symptoms and was pretty sure it was Shingles.  I had them on the back of my neck.  I went to the doctor and it went like this.

Doctor <looking at my neck>  Oh no!  I'm so sorry!!

Me:  :classic_sad: :classic_huh: :classic_ohmy: :classic_blink:

Doctor:  Yeah, I'll prescribe you some Vicodin for the pain

Me: :egyptian: :yahoo: 

• Haha 2

And now for the rest of the story........

There are some bad places to have Shingles.  I will tell you one of them is on the back of your neck when you wear a collared shirt and tie every day for work.  Well at least I used to.  Shows how brainwashed I was.  I'm in excruciating pain but I was still throwing on the required "uniform".  :classic_dry:

Been exposed to chicken pox twice without catching it. First time on Thanlsgiving 1979. Eleven year old brother waked me up and is  a foot or two away and says "Guess what? I've got chicken pox!"

Second time in 1993or 94 or 95. Boss gets a call from day care that her son is sick  and at noon she brings him to the lab. We spent time amusing him and the next day she says "I hope you all had chicken pox".

Billsandhorns
Just now, Wacka said:

Been exposed to chicken pox twice without catching it. First time on Thanlsgiving 1979. Eleven year old brother waked me up and is  a foot or two away and says "Guess what? I've got chicken pox!"

Second time in 1993or 94 or 95. Boss gets a call from day care that her son is sick  and at noon she brings him to the lab. We spent time amusing him and the next day she says "I hope you all had chicken pox".

I hope you don't get it as an adult. It is so much more worse from what I unsderstand

4 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I hope you don't get it as an adult. It is so much more worse from what I unsderstand

You basically get shingles.   That's why I got the shot.   Finally feeling half way normal after 36 hours.  

I never had the Chicken Pox when I was a kid

In my early 20s my Mom got shingles

Then I caught Chicken Pox from my Mom :doh:

Chicken Pox as an adult is a helluva lot worse than as a kid

• Like 1

Yes,  had both shots a year or so ago.  No reactions, no arm pain, nada.  All is well.   I recommend everyone get the shots as shingles is an often long term bad deal, very bad deal.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:06 AM, KD in CA said:

Yup....got my first shot about two months ago.  Slightly uncomfortable for a day or two but nothing like you describe.

Lately I feel like I'm getting the equivalent of the 90,000 mile service there's so much on me that needs to be done.

You aint a Honda then. How many years did it take to put on those 90k miles?

CarpetCrawler
On 1/15/2021 at 10:58 AM, GG1 said:

Got the first shot yesterday, and doc said that I may experience mild pain for a few days ...

My entire left side feels semi-paralyzed and tingly.  That's some definition of mild pain.

Got the first dose 3 months ago with just a little soreness in my arm for a couple of days.

FWIW, I got both doses of the Coronavirus vaccine (Pfizer), for the first one my arm was mildly sore the next morning, but by dinnertime it was gone, no other symptoms. After the second dose I had no discomfort or symptoms at all.

I had the single dose shingles vaccine a few years ago. 
The new Shingrex vaccine is more efficacious and it’s recommended to get them even if you had the single dose shot before. 

Got my first Shingrex shot on Dec 15. Was told to get the 2nd dose on Feb 15th... two months apart. 

Was also told not to get the Wuhan virus vaccine less than a month after the second Shingrex shot. 

On 1/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, Billsandhorns said:

I used to play in a tennis league with guys who averaged from pretty good to amazing. Due to unfortunate circumstances I found myself on court #1 one night with the top players at the club. Big Time, high level college players. A buddy comes up and says “yeah, sucks to play with Tom and Chris, but it’s the other (new) guy you need to worry about! He lives down the street and I watched video of him playing Connors and Lendl at the US Open”.   WHAT? 

Turns out this guy, at the top of his career, got chicken pox, developed lesions on his brain stem and took a decade to recover.  It ain’t no joke! 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I used to play in a tennis league with guys who averaged from pretty good to amazing. Due to unfortunate circumstances I found myself on court #1 one night with the top players at the club. Big Time, high level college players. A buddy comes up and says “yeah, sucks to play with Tom and Chris, but it’s the other (new) guy you need to worry about! He lives down the street and I watched video of him playing Connors and Lendl at the US Open”.   WHAT? 

Turns out this guy, at the top of his career, got chicken pox, developed lesions on his brain stem and took a decade to recover.  It ain’t no joke! 

So... you got the new guy to play doubles against the other two and let him kick their asses?

I had the second shot Sunday afternoon. By that night my arm was sore in the injection area. Monday though, I should have taken the day off from work. I was feeling very run down and achy. By late Monday night I could feel a little better, and Tuesday morning I was back to normal.