Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Phillip Rivers retires

You Dirty Rat

I'm not a fan of many players, but dig Rivers a lot. The weird throwing motion coupled with being the first sideline trash-talking QB I've ever watched. Not difficult to root for him. I have no idea if he'll make it into the HOF. Lots of numbers, but lots of key losses.

48 minutes ago, Norm said:

Going to the booth where he will make truck loads of money

If he is as good as Romo, he will be welcomed.

I wanna see Fitz in the booth, too!

• Like 1

I though I heard Rivers say in one of the interviews aired before the Bills-Colts game that he has a high school coaching position waiting for him when he decides to retire.  Wants to coach his son.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann said:

Is the Hall of Fame in his future? 

That's an interesting question. While he likely has the stats to get in, he never really accomplished much with his teams; they tended to underperform - especially in the playoffs.

Can you actually say he was one of the greatest players in NFL history without being able to 'will' his teams to victory?

17 minutes ago, NCBillsFan said:

I though I heard Rivers say in one of the interviews aired before the Bills-Colts game that he has a high school coaching position waiting for him when he decides to retire.  Wants to coach his son.

Yes. He’s the new HS football HC in Alabama or some other southern state. 

8 minutes ago, Koko said:

That's an interesting question. While he likely has the stats to get in, he never really accomplished much with his teams; they tended to underperform - especially in the playoffs.

Can you actually say he was one of the greatest players in NFL history without being able to 'will' his teams to victory?

That and his NFL career ended in a loss to The Bills. 
What other NFL QBs ended their careers in a Bills game? I’m pretty sure there are a couple. 

18 minutes ago, Koko said:

He'll get in without issue.

37 minutes ago, NCBillsFan said:

I hear his son wants Marsha.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Koko said:

His numbers definitely get him in, as well as his longevity. But, as you said.. the playoffs.  I wonder if he get in, just not first round?

• Like 1

Career Comparables to Philip Rivers: John Elway*, Dan Marino*, Fran Tarkenton*, Matt Ryan, Brett Favre*, Joe Montana*, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Ken Anderson 

* are currently in the HOF. Brees, Rodgers, and Ben will be soon enough.

From ProFootball Reference.

He finished with 64.9 completion percentage with 5,277 on 8,134 attempts.

He passed for 63,440 yards and 421 TDs. 

What he doesn't have is a Ring.

He should get in, maybe not a first ballot Gold Jacket, but he will get in.