Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Do you have a video camera watching your house?

mead107

Beer__League__Hockey

I have two, one watching each door. They give me a motion alert, and stores a couple of weeks on a memory card. They connect via wifi or hardwire ethernet, and need a 120v outlet. I plugged them both in the attic space above my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9WNBBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dlC_GST9D5SPG27V7KZY5MK2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I have two, one watching each door. They give me a motion alert, and stores a couple of weeks on a memory card. They connect via wifi or hardwire ethernet, and need a 120v outlet. I plugged them both in the attic space above my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9WNBBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dlC_GST9D5SPG27V7KZY5MK2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good deal. 

• Like 1

Not watching the house per se, but all areas around it. 😉

Have the Arlo here. It is wireless and the monitoring is free up to a point. If you get the mini solar panels, they recharge the batteries so no need to recharge them manually. I find they work well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A client of mine recently received an email from a gentleman in Switzerland stating that "someone apparently hacked your home security system, and bare skin photos of your children are making their way around the Internet." He included a couple of the images, and stated that for $2,000, he could try to get them removed. Most of these emails are scams. This was not.

The images WERE of his two sons, in their bedroom, shirtless, playing video games. The emailer was a hacker and this was extortion, plain and simple.

I get the convenience of these cameras. I love the features. Unfortunately, so do hackers. That's why I'll never own one. For those who choose to, please use a long, strong, hard-to-guess password. There are lots of sick, desperate people out there, and these systems are not as secure as the manufacturers would like you to believe.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Mahoney said:

A client of mine recently received an email from a gentleman in Switzerland stating that "someone apparently hacked your home security system, and bare skin photos of your children are making their way around the Internet." He included a couple of the images, and stated that for $2,000, he could try to get them removed. Most of these emails are scams. This was not.

The images WERE of his two sons, in their bedroom, shirtless, playing video games. The emailer was a hacker and this was extortion, plain and simple.

I get the convenience of these cameras. I love the features. Unfortunately, so do hackers. That's why I'll never own one. For those who choose to, please use a long, strong, hard-to-guess password. There are lots of sick, desperate people out there, and these systems are not as secure as the manufacturers would like you to believe.

Wow, that is terrible.

Ours are for our exterior and exits not in the house (probably stupid... except after your story, maybe not so dumb after all).

We did use one in the house for the last dog as he had separation anxiety. We needed to see what he was doing while we were out, and how he did with the pet sitters/walkers.

Edited to add: We do use indoor cameras when we are on vacation and no one is home.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1