Vitamin supplements

KD in CA

Vitamin supplements  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Worthwhile or a waste of money?

• Worth it
    • Scam
    • Only for people with certain health issue

Just had a doctor tell me how important it was to take a multivitamin, extra vitamin D, etc.  Based on what I've read in the past, I always concluded they were of minimal value if you eat a reasonable diet.

So I ask the question.....vitamin supplements......

image.png.363fca5576e63a66b88745aab33036cd.png

?

Billsandhorns

I think they can be worth it. Most lifestyles today, we don't get enough needed vitamins naturally. Even with a healthy diet. great example is D3. A lot of that comes form the sun

Depends on what it is.

I take a bunch of vitamins,  B-12 (the methylcobalamin version). Without it, my brain would be a fuzzy blur and I would be tired all the time, Vitamin D, and even with that end up with a super dose doctor's prescription every year. I also take biotin, a multivitamin, and the extra zinc/elderberry. The only one I am not sold on is that extra zinc/elderberry, but I have not had a cold or the sniffles since I started with it, so there is that.

My Dr says not required.  However, no harm other than out a few $.  I have stepped up the D and zinc with covid on the loose.

Edited by Just Joshin
  • Like 2

Nouseforaname

I take a multivitamin as well as vitamin d, fish oil, magnesium and melatonin.

I don’t eat enough veggies which is why I take the vitamins and the magnesium and melatonin is to help me sleep. 

CarpetCrawler

The right things in the right forms in the right amounts can be helpful. 

I'm always low in Vit B12, as Ann said, the Methyl- form of B12 is what you want, not the Cyano- form. Sub-lingual is easy and much better than pills. I've  been taking 1000mcg and my level just came back a little low still, so my doctor said to get the 3000mcg dose. Without it I'm definitely foggy and a couple of steps slower. 

My Vit D3 (only take the D3 form) is super low and I can attest to the prescription mega-doses too, I take that and feel at least 10 or 15 years younger. I love it, but my doctor will only give it to me once or twice a year. In between he tells me to take 50mcg a day in the summer and 100mcg a day in the winter, but since I work with COVID patients I take 150mcg a day.

Which leads me to Zinc supplements which I started taking as protection against Coronavirus too (chelated or citrate form). It works in conjunction with Vitamin D3 to keep the virus out of your cells. I was told to take less than 50mg a day to avoid stomach problems, and I have to say it's been very good for my skin too and no sore thoats.

If you take a Statin for cholesterol, you should definitely be taking Co Q10 to protect your heart. The Ubiquinol is the best form, it absorbs the best, worth the price my doctor says. I also take time release grapeseed extract that is supposed to be good for your heart, Resveratrol is an anti-oxidant/anti-inflammatory that's supposedly good for circulation in the heart, as well as venous return in the legs and circulation in the eyes for diabetics. (yep)

I'm on my feet walking all day and my hips feel it. I've been taking Glucosamine with MSM for about a year and it does make a difference. They're friggin' horse pills, but my hips don't burn at night when I take it. 

I've bee thinking about getting some Turmeric supplements, supposedly that's a good anti-inflammatory too. Anyone have and experience taking it?  

EDIT:  Grape seed extract might also act as an anticoagulant, or blood-thinner. It could increase the risk of bleeding if taken with other blood-thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), or aspirin. 

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wacka said:

If you take mega doses of water-vitamins, just throw the pills in the toilet.  It's going to the same [lace.

Don't the cans and bottles clog the toilet?

21 minutes ago, Wacka said:

don't know how water-soluble got changed.  last word is place.

No worries, it just reminded me of the phrase "you only rent beer"