Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Computers

Foxx

Any computer nerds here?

Looking for help with regard to a new computer.

I currently have an old HP that has an  AMD Phenom II 840T 2.9 Ghz 4 core, 4 thread processor with 8 GB memory. It came with Win 7 and was upgraded to Win 10. While it has served me well, with new demands being added all the time, it is no longer adequate. With the stress I put on the processor, it can get frustratingly slow at times. I am used to things happening quicker than a blink of an eye and when they slow to a second or longer, I get agitated.

As such I would like a new rig but am unsure what to get. I was thinking of moving to an Intel Core 7 or 9 processor to get a minimum of an 8 core/8 thread along with 16GB of memory. I can get the 8 cores/8 threads min with AMD which is somewhat cheaper, but am reading that the Intel Core is a better unit. Additionally, the Ghz would probably have to be a min of 3.6. I don't need fantastic graphics as I'm not really a gamer, processing speed and memory is what I'm really looking for.

I am thinking I should be able to get something for under $800. I would like to not have all the bloatware associated with a new computer as well. Would I be better off building it myself?

Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Desktop or laptop?  

I think that anything you get in > i7 form factor + 32gb of memory will suit you just fine.

I have various laptops and tablets but the desktop is where I do most of the heavy lifting. 

I don't know that I can build one cheaper than a preassembled unit but if I build it myself, I can probably get away from the factory installed bloatware.

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Make sure the hard drive is an SSD. My laptop has one, running Win10, it boots up in less than 10 seconds. 

That would be amazing.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I am used to things happening quicker than a blink of an eye and when they slow to a second or longer, I get agitated.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Dont get old.

I’ve got no computer advice for you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I have various laptops and tablets but the desktop is where I do most of the heavy lifting. 

I have an old mac desktop that I have not turned on in five years. You're welcome to that.  🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I don't know that I can build one cheaper than a preassembled unit but if I build it myself, I can probably get away from the factory installed bloatware.

Just spend a few hours on removing the bloatware and you're fine.   For general use, preassembled works just as well.  You may save cash on total component costs, but you'll probably get raped on OS and software if you build your own.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

I have an old mac desktop that I have not turned on in five years. You're welcome to that.  🙂

If that is an option, I strongly recommend that.

I bought a used Macbook Pro, and it still hums.   There's a reason resale values hold up so well on Macs.

• Haha 1

Are you looking for a laptop or desktop?

What are you using it for?  I saw you said that you're not a gamer.   If you're just surfing the internet and using basic type functions, you don't need a screaming PC

How comfortable are you with computer hardware?  I've known quite a few people who wanted to upgrade their desktop PC and got sticker shock from HP/Dell/Asus.  So they decided they would build a better rig for less money....Then they call me begging for mercy

Some general advice.  16GB ram at least.   As previously mentioned, go for an SSD.  Or even better an M2 drive if you can justify the increased price.

If you're doing a desktop, I strongly suggest a second internal drive (if you don't already have one) for your data.  If your OS crashes and you have everything on the system drive, you may lose stuff.  Secondary drive can be a regular hard  drive.  Opt for an internal drive over USB.  USB data transfer is slower than internal, and internal drives don't walk away.

And while on the topic of USB drives, a public service announcement.  If you store anything sensitive on a USB drive, encrypt that shit

• Like 2

My 14 year old kid just built his own. He has the stripped down Windows and it works fine for gaming. You should definitely go with 16GB memory, if not more.

I'd go SSD for sure.

I'd probably go Ubuntu for the running system as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 12:04 PM, GG1 said:

If that is an option, I strongly recommend that.

I bought a used Macbook Pro, and it still hums.   There's a reason resale values hold up so well on Macs.

I’ve dealt with these guys for decades. 
Might be a good place for getting hard drives and externals. It’s the bomb for buying used Macs if you want to go that way. They’ll give you a year of Parallels free if that appeals. Their memory chips and hard drives are first rate. Many are just fine for both platforms. 

Good luck Fox.

It’s better if I include the linky thingy. 
https://www.owc.com

Edited by Nanker
  • Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 10:04 AM, Seasons1992 said:

My 14 year old kid just built his own. He has the stripped down Windows and it works fine for gaming. You should definitely go with 16GB memory, if not more.

I'd go SSD for sure.

I'd probably go Ubuntu for the running system as well. 

I got the itch to build another PC as I haven't done a serious upgrade in several years. I gave up because some of the higher end parts are impossible to get right now. Did your son run into the same problem? I ended up having to buy a pre built to get the components I wanted

2 hours ago, Dante said:

I got the itch to build another PC as I haven't done a serious upgrade in several years. I gave up because some of the higher end parts are impossible to get right now. Did your son run into the same problem? I ended up having to buy a pre built to get the components I wanted

I don't think he had major issues getting parts. To be fair, he did it all on his own and with my ex's guy's help. I had zero input, other than giving him $50 towards it for Xmas. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, DC Tom said:

Or unplug it when not using it and lock it in a safe.

Locking it up in a safe while you're not using it doesn't stop someone from unplugging it while you're not looking. 

Nor does it stop you from copying something to a convenient thumb drive then dropping it somewhere

Just now, DC Tom said:

Also, don't skimp on parts.  It's a false economy.  I built my home workstation 10 years ago, to some high-end specs.  Cost me less than $2k, all told, only upgrade I've done is adding an SSD (as they came down in price), and it's only recently showing signs of needing any other sort of upgrade.

10 years ago was before Bitcoin fever.  Computer hardware prices and supply have gone craycray

Beer__League__Hockey

Have you done a clean install of Win10 recently?  It is worth trying first, as Windows gets all tangled up after a few years, and many times the slowness you experience is OS related.

• Like 1