Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Fed — For Dummies

The_Dude

Dollars, I like ‘em. From an academic standpoint I have a solid historical understanding on what has worked, and what has not worked. 

After the GameStop thing, which hurt my head to figure out, I realized my understanding of the mechanics of dollars needs to improve. 

ive started reading The Creature from Jekyll Island. I haven’t finished and it’ll take me a while to work through. 

What vexes me so far is that where I’m at I believe the Fed is evil but it also may be very necessary and something that cannot be undone without committing economic suicide. 

My understanding of dollars is very weak. Many of you are very smart people when it comes to dollars and I’d like your thoughts so that I can consider them as I continue on my quest to understand dollars. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 5:17 PM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

So... this is... concerning...

30329AB7-35DD-46CD-9864-FD0232932239.jpeg

It depends if you believe in their explanation that an operational error took the systems offline, as opposed to something more nefarious.

• Like 1

RochesterRob
On 2/16/2021 at 5:36 PM, The_Dude said:

Dollars, I like ‘em. From an academic standpoint I have a solid historical understanding on what has worked, and what has not worked. 

After the GameStop thing, which hurt my head to figure out, I realized my understanding of the mechanics of dollars needs to improve. 

ive started reading The Creature from Jekyll Island. I haven’t finished and it’ll take me a while to work through. 

What vexes me so far is that where I’m at I believe the Fed is evil but it also may be very necessary and something that cannot be undone without committing economic suicide. 

My understanding of dollars is very weak. Many of you are very smart people when it comes to dollars and I’d like your thoughts so that I can consider them as I continue on my quest to understand dollars. 

The Fed is a mechanism to distribute money through our economic system.  Better than a King and a Royal Treasurer.  I took a basic course on the Fed courtesy of Alfred Kahn while at Cornell.  Damned if I can remember most of it anymore.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Fed is a mechanism to distribute money through our economic system.  Better than a King and a Royal Treasurer.  I took a basic course on the Fed courtesy of Alfred Kahn while at Cornell.  Damned if I can remember most of it anymore.  

When things are overly confusing, thats the way they're intended. They'd rather you not know what you're looking at. I'm a financial moron. A real idiot. Im the Jon Snow of finance, I know nothing. That said, I know enough about the Fed at this point to know why the elites dont want us thinking about it. Much better for us to have our wool shorn than it is to ask questions. 

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

When things are overly confusing, thats the way they're intended. They'd rather you not know what you're looking at. I'm a financial moron. A real idiot. Im the Jon Snow of finance, I know nothing. That said, I know enough about the Fed at this point to know why the elites dont want us thinking about it. Much better for us to have our wool shorn than it is to ask questions. 

Not confusing but just a lack of need to think about it for many many years.  It's just not as reflexive for me personally as it is for other things such as 1980's Bills football.  I did take a fair amount of economics and business courses while at college but most of it was geared for me to become a loan officer or some similar profession.  I might see if I still have any notes from that class just to refresh my memory.  I used to have the Cornell course catalog  where I could look up the class number.  I think it was like a mid-300's level class.  EC331.  

Edited by RochesterRob

25 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

The debate about a national bank has been ongoing since the country was founded.   The bottom line is that in the periods where there wasn't a central bank, the mania, panics and depressions were more frequent and severe.  The Fed does do a decent job of dampening the shocks.  There should be concern about the politicization of the bank though, and that's been growing in the last 20 years. 

• FANtastic 1

Things could get somewhat interesting between March 17th and the end of the month. The 17th is the next meeting of the FED.

Here is an article from Reuters on the SLR issue that gives a topical look.

Analysis: Fixed-income markets wary of Fed decision on bank capital relief

Then there is this article that, while laden with drama and rather long, goes into detail on what the mechanics of it are.

Why The SLR Is All That Matters For Markets Right Now

Both are good reads to get an idea of the possible disruption ahead.

The tl;dr version:

Changes made to the banking system, curtesy of the banking fiasco of 2009, the SLR, were suspended in April of '20 because of the COVID relief. That regulatory break is set to end March 31st. This is at the root of the 10 year treasury upheaval we have been seeing of late.

Because of COVID relief, bank balance sheets have swollen, causing the capital on hand to total assets held, to become askew. Combine this with the new relief, $1.9 trillion and it is causing great concern in the markets.

From the Reuters article: Credit Suisse analyst Zoltan Pozsar recently summed up the situation in a report, saying: “The banking system is running out of balance sheet. Soon there will be too much cash.”

• 4 weeks later...
Jabba The Hutt

Let's just move to the inevitable.... One world bank, one world government:crying3:Now can the elites start cutting me some checks?:worms:

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

She does say "Imagine if..." and "...thought experiment."  So she's not necessarily espousing a policy position.

Imagine all the people

Living the life for free?

2 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

She does say "Imagine if..." and "...thought experiment."  So she's not necessarily espousing a policy position.

No, not especially but all manifestations begin as egregores.

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, GG1 said:

Imagine all the people

Living the life for free?

As written by a guy worth $200M with an Upper West Side address.

Which is just one of the reasons why, even though I point out Omarova's comments are hypotheticals, I still don't trust liberals with money.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Foxx said:

No, not especially but all manifestations begin as egregores.

And it's not much of a thought experiment, either, considering that nationalizing private deposits through the central bank as part of fiscal policy was tried by the Nazis.

• Like 1

Just now, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And it's not much of a thought experiment, either, considering that nationalizing private deposits through the central bank as part of fiscal policy was tried by the Nazis.

The guys to his East did it two decades before.  There are very few things that he didn't copy from them.

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, GG1 said:

The guys to his East did it two decades before.  There are very few things that he didn't copy from them.

No doubt someone did it before him, too.  Just didn't have Marx to lean on.