Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

26 years later, Savannah GA is still my favorite town in America..

Joe

So many great small towns and small cities  
local - is Saratoga ny ( small city)

love Kennebunkport Maine 

Love Alexandria Bay

love East Aurora 

Love Lewes Delaware 

the list goes on and on and on 

And of course Stoughton Ma - granddaughters live there 

Edited by mead107

I'm not sure what size you are looking for, but here are a few of towns I like and/or was pleasantly surprised by:

St. Augustine, FL (my favorite)
Skaneateles, NY
Hickory, NC
Nantucket, MA
Mystic, CT
Rapid City, SD

Locally?  East Aurora does very well with quaint, and so does Lewiston.

• Like 1

We had to do “big shopping” in Savannah when we lived in then tiny Hilton Head, SC from the 80’s till leaving in 1993. We got their news every morning to hear where the crack deals and drive by shootings happened the night before. It was fun for two blocks along the river, go any farther and you were looking for trouble. Some nice areas, and it could fun, but also very dangerous.

Fast forward to just a few years ago when we go back. I was shocked at how great it is. They kept all the charm and cleaned things up. Great restaurants, close to beaches and all kinds of character. I actually apologized to some locals telling them I had talked %#$& about their town for decades not knowing what a great job they had done to revitalize the area. 

We lived in Sarasota, FL for 18 years and recently were back for a week. I love that town and think it just keeps getting better (even if getting a bit overbuilt in some cases). I hope to live there again one day.

However, the first town that comes to mind for me is Carmel, CA. We were only there for a day or two, but it stuck with me. Absolutely fantastic. I wonder if it could actually have been as charming as I remember it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mead107 said:

So many great small towns and small cities  
local - is Saratoga ny ( small city)

love Kennebunkport Maine 

Love Alexandria Bay

love East Aurora 

Love Lewes Delaware 

the list goes on and on and on 

And of course Stoughton Ma - granddaughters live there 

Saratoga is a blast. I've never seen bars so full late on a Sunday night as I did there.

• Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler
2 hours ago, Koko said:

Saratoga is a blast. I've never seen bars so full late on a Sunday night as I did there.

I have a place a couple of towns away from there, we slum around Saratoga all the time. 25 years ago the town only came alive in August for the racing. Now it hops all summer long and there's things to do year 'round. 

I don't know if it's just when I noticed it or not, but to my thinking it all started changing when Bill Parcells built his mansion up there. 

I love the Adirondacks in general. Also Cape Cod/Nantucket/Newport.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

However, the first town that comes to mind for me is Carmel, CA. We were only there for a day or two, but it stuck with me. Absolutely fantastic. I wonder if it could actually have been as charming as I remember it.

Carmel is pretty charming, but I like Mendocino even better (even more beautiful and completely laid back/uncrowded).

Anywhere on the Outer Cape

Stockbridge/N Adams MA

Nags Head, NC

Key West, FL

On 2/28/2021 at 8:55 PM, CarpetCrawler said:

I have a place a couple of towns away from there, we slum around Saratoga all the time. 25 years ago the town only came alive in August for the racing. Now it hops all summer long and there's things to do year 'round. 

I don't know if it's just when I noticed it or not, but to my thinking it all started changing when Bill Parcells built his mansion up there. 

I love the Adirondacks in general. Also Cape Cod/Nantucket/Newport.

North of Saratoga? 
we are 20 minutes south. 

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
On 3/7/2021 at 7:27 AM, mead107 said:

North of Saratoga? 
we are 20 minutes south. 

Northeast, I'm in Lake Luzerne, about 5 or 6 miles from Lake George.

You must be near Albany?

• Cheers 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, CarpetCrawler said:

Northeast, I'm in Lake Luzerne, about 5 or 6 miles from Lake George.

You must be near Albany?

Charlton. 20 minutes south of Saratoga and 15 minutes to Schenectady. 

Edited by mead107
  • Cheers 1