Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Athletic [NYT Buying It] Layoffs, Changing Model

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 hours ago, Ann said:

Wow. Is this supporting the whole NYT corp??

Renewal Amount: $71.99 USD

And yes, I am renewing, but shesh.

I just checked my subscription, and they were renewing it at that price.

So I cancelled it...and they showed me an offer of $10 for the next year.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

• 1 month later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
21 minutes ago, Ann said:

Dianna Russini leaving ESPN to become The Athletic’s top NFL insider

</snip>

Russini had been with ESPN for eight years as one of its main NFL reporters, appearing on all of its major NFL shows.

ESPN offered a raise to stay, according to sources, but Russini chose to go to The Athletic. 

</snip>

:classic_laugh:

"Sorry, ESPN.  I know the NYT just axed its entire sports department, and The Athletic is going down the toilet.  Still not as bad as you."

• Like 2

On a side note. One should never accept a pay raise to stay in a job once you have given management notice. You’ll lose out on the other opportunity and likely will be in the next wave of cutdowns. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
21 minutes ago, Nanker said:

On a side note. One should never accept a pay raise to stay in a job once you have given management notice. You’ll lose out on the other opportunity and likely will be in the next wave of cutdowns. 

And you will always be in the position of, whenever you make a mistake, having talk behind your back of "Why did we keep them?"  Ultimately, you'll be undercut.

People who accept pay raises to stay after they've given notice usually quit after 6 months anyway.

• 5 months later...
Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Got raped by the Athletic this morning. We're done.

I had a month left on my $1.99 a month deal so i cancelled and they offered $9.99 for the year.

Call them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

I had a month left on my $1.99 a month deal so i cancelled and they offered $9.99 for the year.

Call them.

I did that last month. Today on my bank account I see a charge for $19.97. Logged into my account on The Athletic, there is no record of that transaction.

$20 a month... yeah, we're done.

• Wow 2

Nouseforaname
6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I did that last month. Today on my bank account I see a charge for $19.97. Logged into my account on The Athletic, there is no record of that transaction.

$20 a month... yeah, we're done.

You could contest the transaction.

5 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

You could contest the transaction.

Poor wording on my part. I should have said, when I checked my Athletic account, there was no record of the $9.99 deal that I agreed to last month. The $19.97 monthly charge was there instead. 

• Popcorn 2

Nouseforaname
6 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Poor wording on my part. I should have said, when I checked my Athletic account, there was no record of the $9.99 deal that I agreed to last month. The $19.97 monthly charge was there instead. 

Oh.  You could always call back and complain.  I become a total Karen when it comes to this stuff.  

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Back to Sports Illustrated, I guess :classic_sad:.

Or ESPN.com 🤮.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

Oh.  You could always call back and complain.  I become a total Karen when it comes to this stuff.  

…and when Josh Allen throws into the end zone! 😎

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

Nouseforaname
Just now, snafu said:

…and when Josh Allen throws into the end zone! 😎

I am captain check down.

• Cheers 2

Looking at my billing, it was $71.99 last August for the year. It is now $240 a year!? I will have to re-evaluate at that price.

I do have 5 guest pass 30 day invites. Not sure if anyone wants it at the moment, but if you do, shoot me a message with your email. 

• Cheers 2

Nouseforaname
6 minutes ago, Ann said:

Looking at my billing, it was $71.99 last August for the year. It is now $240 a year!? I will have to re-evaluate at that price.

I do have 5 guest pass 30 day invites. Not sure if anyone wants it at the moment, but if you do, shoot me a message with your email. 

When I clicked on cancel I received an offer. Give it a shot . 

3 minutes ago, Nouseforaname said:

When I clicked on cancel I received an offer. Give it a shot . 

I will in August. 🙂

Fansince88
1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

Really. Say it isn't so....

• Haha 2