Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills and State/Local Officials to discuss stadium repairs or new stadium

Ann

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Just Joshin said:

Nope, not sure how you got that from my comment.

Stimulus packages, like most things in government, are misnamed.  We should give people a hand up, not a hand out.  We should not try to make a green economy, let the market create. We need to create infrastructure to facilitate investment, not subsidize special interests like Amtrack.

So I am not a huge fan of tax payer funded stadiums but if we are going to spend money poorly I would rather on a stadium than a solyndra.  At least there is some return on a stadium.

A stimulus from Albany is not happening especially given the current state of affairs with NY.  Western NY had very little to do with the current federal administration coming to power so I am equally doubtful as to a federal contribution for a new Bills stadium.  The return on a stadium in terms of a government contribution is anything but concrete.  I honestly believe that at this point that remaining in OP with a refit is the most likely scenario to happen.  Next would be new from the ground up in OP, then a fresh start along a high traffic corridor (I-90), with a downtown project being last.  

PromoTheRobot
On 3/31/2021 at 1:12 PM, B-Man said:

There are far worse things that New York State could spend money on.

The Pegulas should lobby for a marijuana concession in the new stadium. Should make enough to pay off the stadium in a few years. 😵

RochesterRob
2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Pegulas should lobby for a marijuana concession in the new stadium. Should make enough to pay off the stadium in a few years. 😵

Will it be like 15 dollar 12 oz beers?  But with 10 dollars worth of state and local tax on top.  The guys with the heavily tinted windows on their vans out in the private lots will clean up instead of the stadium authority.  

On 3/31/2021 at 11:41 AM, Foxx said:

I can't speak to all the requirements, I just know that one of the incentives for enticing cities to build new stadiums is that they get a Super Bowl. Could we be disqualified by lack of hotel space, sure but what is the proximity to the stadium requirement? Might it be stretched in our case?

Here's the requirements from back in 2013....

NFL Confidential Demands For Minneapolis To Host Super Bowl - DocumentCloud

If they accept hotels across the border, maybe there would be enough.  But one issue may be the number of rooms the NFL requires for the teams.  They require a hotel with 1,000 rooms for their headquarters.  I'm not sure any hotel in the region has that many rooms.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

If they accept hotels across the border, maybe there would be enough.  But one issue may be the number of rooms the NFL requires for the teams.  They require a hotel with 1,000 rooms for their headquarters.  I'm not sure any hotel in the region has that many rooms.  

Looks like no... Seneca Niagara appears to Be the largest with just over 600 rooms.

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Jesus, this is a horrible deal for the host team. NFL gets 100% of all revenue, including parking, and darn near everything is to be at the expense of the 'host committee'.

Granted, the host community benefits due to the event, but it sucks for whomever runs the stadium itself.

• Like 1

Poloncarz: Bills stadium negotiations ‘not going to happen overnight

</snip>

However, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz reminded fans Tuesday that just because this step of the process is done does not mean any plans or agreements are imminent.

Erie County hasn’t even seen the study yet, he said.

“I wanted to clear up the air,” Poloncarz said when asked about the study during a COVID-19 news conference, “because some people are asking me, ‘What does the report say?’ And I say, ‘I don’t know’ because I haven’t seen it, and no one in Erie County government has seen it, and no one to my knowledge in New York state has seen it. We are just starting the process that will probably take some time.”

</snip>

• 1 month later...
You Dirty Rat

We have no fracking money  for a new stadium

Wink GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, Norm said:

We have no fracking money  for a new stadium

Wink GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

what's the point of an expensive new stadium, when consistent fan attendance can't be assured due to the govt reaction to outside factors

You Dirty Rat
1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

what's the point of an expensive new stadium, when consistent fan attendance can't be assured due to the govt reaction to outside factors

I am one of the very few that like our stadium just the way it is.

50 minutes ago, Norm said:

I am one of the very few that like our stadium just the way it is.

"Very few" my eye. Its a great stadium. At your seat, anyway. Site lines are fantastic, its a loud building, its great.  Except for when you go to take a leak, who complains, really?

That said, a nice 65K-70K retractable dome built right next to the Ralph makes a lot of sense.

New building with all the bells and whistles: check.  

Protected from bad weather to keep attendance high later in the season and post season: check.

Keep the "OP fan culture" that is such a tremendous part of the team and keep the entire "Bills campus" intact: check.

Edited by RkFast

9 hours ago, RkFast said:

"Very few" my eye. Its a great stadium. At your seat, anyway. Site lines are fantastic, its a loud building, its great.  Except for when you go to take a leak, who complains, really?

That said, a nice 65K-70K retractable dome built right next to the Ralph makes a lot of sense.

New building with all the bells and whistles: check.  

Protected from bad weather to keep attendance high later in the season and post season: check.

Keep the "OP fan culture" that is such a tremendous part of the team and keep the entire "Bills campus" intact: check.

Erm typo?

46 minutes ago, Koko said:

Capacity, not cost.

maybe Cuomo can fit the stadium in under Biden's new $6 trillion stimulus plan

may have to build the stadium in Iran,  though