Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Need new set of fry pans. What do you like?

mead107

I have revere ware copper bottom cookware. Same set for the last 35 years. No issues.

Hubby has calphalon that he purchased about 15 years ago.

Each has its use, and neither one of us stick to “our” set.  It is simply that we both had decent cookware when we got married, and could not stand to part with it.

I have no idea if the revere ware or calphalon of today is as good as it was a generation ago.  

• Like 3

Cast iron is classic. 
New non-stick brands are much better than the earlier Teflon coated junk. 
We had Revere ware for forty years. Still have a couple of pieces. Bought a set of All-Clad to replace the retired Corning pots. We have a couple of non-stick pans. One’s a Cuisinart (Teflon’s wearing down) the other is blue something that is newer and tougher. Wife bought that online. No markings on it, but it’s great for eggs. 

• Like 2

sent Mead a text, but for non stick we really like the TFAL titanium. I am a little funny when it comes to non stick coating, so only use for about 2-3 years then get a new one...at $50 on amazon i dont sweat the cost to much.

have all kinds of cast, both normal in 4 sizes, plus enameled cast saute pans..plus a cast griddle use mainly on grill for burgers..yes i like a crust on my burgers!

Have one carbon steel skillet as well...very similar to cast in feel and care

• Like 3

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

... for non stick we really like the TFAL titanium. I am a little funny when it comes to non stick coating, so only use for about 2-3 years then get a new one...at $50 on amazon i dont sweat the cost to much. ....

At some point, not sure when, society transitioned to having obsolescence built in to it's economic model. Sucks but what ya gonna do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

sent Mead a text, but for non stick we really like the TFAL titanium. I am a little funny when it comes to non stick coating, so only use for about 2-3 years then get a new one...at $50 on amazon i dont sweat the cost to much.

have all kinds of cast, both normal in 4 sizes, plus enameled cast saute pans..plus a cast griddle use mainly on grill for burgers..yes i like a crust on my burgers!

Have one carbon steel skillet as well...very similar to cast in feel and care

After we watched 'Dark Waters', my wife wanted to immediately toss out all the teflon pans!  Gotta replace 'em once that nasty shit starts chipping away.

• Like 5

CarpetCrawler

I use cast iron, but I realize that takes more of a commitment than some are willing to make or have time for.

I have a couple of old "teflon" pans that have held up well, I think because they are made of anodized aluminum which is definitely harder and more durable that regular aluminum. T-Fal and Calphalon as mentioned are very good choices. I bought a relatively cheap Costco set of pots and pans for my cottage in the Adirondacks ten years ago and they have held up great, they really are still like brand new. It's an anodized, non-stick set made by Tramontina.

They have ceramic coated cookware that supposedly gives you better than teflon performance and is more durable too. I have never used one, but most major manufacturers are putting them out, so they must perform pretty well. I see the Gotham Steel sets on amazon for less than $200.

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

... I see the Gotham Steel sets on amazon for less than $200.

We picked up a couple Gotham Steel ones, love them so far.

• Like 2

Cast iron is great 

the iron is healthy for the body

unlike the chemicals leaching to you and your food from aluminum and non-stick cookware 

if you want non-stick- get

1. ceramic coated cast iron if you want something more non-stick

2. stainless steel Healthcraft cookware

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 3:15 PM, KD in CA said:

After we watched 'Dark Waters', my wife wanted to immediately toss out all the teflon pans!  Gotta replace 'em once that nasty shit starts chipping away.

Funny, the same thing happened in my house.  Teflon pans will kill me!

Hey mead, I have two pans I rely on the most.

The new Lodge Blacklock cast iron is a stud. I have a large and a medium, but I don't see the medium sized one anymore. They're lighter than your typical cast iron, but they are the best I've ever used.

Otherwise, when you have a need for non-stick, the Greenpan series is meant to give you non-stick without the Teflon issues.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler
4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Funny, the same thing happened in my house.  Teflon pans will kill me!

Hey mead, I have two pans I rely on the most.

The new Lodge Blacklock cast iron is a stud. I have a large and a medium, but I don't see the medium sized one anymore. They're lighter than your typical cast iron, but they are the best I've ever used.

Otherwise, when you have a need for non-stick, the Greenpan series is meant to give you non-stick without the Teflon issues.

I almost bought a Blacklock on sale, but I read a lot of complaints about the handles. I trust your opinion, do you see the handle as a liability?

I haven't gotten into any high end cast iron yet, but I have a Victoria 12" and griddle and I really like that brand. Smoother than Lodge and seasoned with flaxseed oil. In my mind definitely a step above the basic Lodge for about the same price.

8 hours ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I almost bought a Blacklock on sale, but I read a lot of complaints about the handles. I trust your opinion, do you see the handle as a liability?

I haven't gotten into any high end cast iron yet, but I have a Victoria 12" and griddle and I really like that brand. Smoother than Lodge and seasoned with flaxseed oil. In my mind definitely a step above the basic Lodge for about the same price.

I have no idea what anyone would say about the handles, but then again people complain about all kinds of stupid stuff  when reviewing products online. It's supposed to be a stay-cool handle, and that may be their issue because while it doesn't get ripping hot, I wouldn't call it 'stay-cool'. I always use a pot holder to lift it.

The weight is really the thing for me. It's so much lighter than regular cast iron but has all the quality and durability.

But now I'll probably use it this morning and be like "Damn, this handle really sucks." :classic_biggrin:

• Cheers 1

Still have variety of sizes of Lodge & Wagner cast irons.  Have replaced all Teflon pans with the newer non-sticks.  I like the ceramics or fake granite looking pots.  Sturdy and surface doesn't peel.

You know why I love Lodge cast irons? Because my husband cleans and seasons it when it is used. That is a total win in my book! :party2:

Note: I never use it. Way too heavy for me.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

CarpetCrawler
9 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I have no idea what anyone would say about the handles, but then again people complain about all kinds of stupid stuff  when reviewing products online. It's supposed to be a stay-cool handle, and that may be their issue because while it doesn't get ripping hot, I wouldn't call it 'stay-cool'. I always use a pot holder to lift it.

The weight is really the thing for me. It's so much lighter than regular cast iron but has all the quality and durability.

But now I'll probably use it this morning and be like "Damn, this handle really sucks." :classic_biggrin:

You're right, everyone wants to sound like the internet expert, especially about cast iron. Thanks for your input, lighter sounds like a big plus to me, and I imagine it would heat up quicker too. Knowing my luck, I'll probably never find it on sale again.

20 hours ago, Ann said:

You know why I love Lodge cast irons? Because my husband cleans and seasons it when it is used. That is a total win in my book! :party2:

Note: I never use it. Way too heavy for me.

That's exactly the way it is in my house too! No one else is even allowed to try and lean the case iron, it's my job period. If they're kept well seasoned it's pretty easy to clean out and if the wife burns something in them (a regular occurrence unfortunately since she insists cooking everything on high) it's still easy to clean if you know what your doing. 

Does your hubby season them on the stove top or does he bake them?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cinga said:

That's exactly the way it is in my house too! No one else is even allowed to try and lean the case iron, it's my job period. If they're kept well seasoned it's pretty easy to clean out and if the wife burns something in them (a regular occurrence unfortunately since she insists cooking everything on high) it's still easy to clean if you know what your doing. 

He seasons them in the oven as he feels the heat is more even. 
(He usually uses the large pan or the reversible griddle.)

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Cast iron is great for retaining heat. Turn that burner off high once it reaches temperature.
Oh, your wife, never mind.  :classic_ninja:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

He seasons them in the oven as he feels the heat is more even. 
(He usually uses the large pan or the reversible griddle.)

he is correct of course. But if it is a quick easy clean I always dry the pan on the stove cause you will never get it complete dry wiping it out, but then will wipe it with oil while its hot still. 

Always oven after those bad messes that makes me scrub the pan or if I cheat and boil water in it to clean it. I NEVER use soap