Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Super League

Nouseforaname

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

American sports have gone through the same sorts of transitions over the years.

You need to remember that this didn’t happen in a vacuum. It was in response to a largely corrupt system that no longer serves the interests of the big clubs who drive almost 100% of the sports revenue, who have also been the most financially damaged by Europe’s lockdowns.

UEFA and the domestic leagues need the big clubs more than the big clubs need them; and the big clubs are now saying “we are tired of carrying all the freight”.

This was inevitable.

I think it is extremely interesting.  A lot to digest from the leagues' view, from the fans' view, from the 12 clubs' view, the players...

It's not a big selling point in Europe that there are U.S. owners and Chase Bank pushing for the league.

I give it a 50-50 chance of actually happening.

I'd be pissed if I were a diehard fan of any team in the leagues being affected.

Also, I've heard that the new league would have a salary cap -- so (A) how will the players feel about that, and (B) it may not eventually be so "super" after awhile.

31 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

UEFA and the domestic leagues need the big clubs more than the big clubs need them; and the big clubs are now saying “we are tired of carrying all the freight”.

This theoretically could happen in baseball.  I think it would suck.

Also, the teams involved carry the weight because they're big fish in their ponds.  They'd trade what made them successful to become a middling fish in a smaller pond?  Sounds like a money grab, pure and simple.  Nobody in the leagues/UEFA/"Super 12" is without some mud on them.

41 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Sort of, but not really.  The only thing I can think of is when the AHL folded and the better-run teams were added to the NHL.

American leagues have always been "closed" with no elevation or relegation based upon team performance.  Baseball had a "first division" and a "second division", but that wan't really a thing -- it was just a way of referring to teams in the bottom half of the standings.

Nouseforaname
1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

You need to remember that this didn’t happen in a vacuum. It was in response to a largely corrupt system that no longer serves the interests of the big clubs who drive almost 100% of the sports revenue, who have also been the most financially damaged by Europe’s lockdowns.

This was inevitable.

It is true that it was inevitable and that soccer needs a facelift but how it went down should have everyone screaming.  Agnelli who is the president of Juventus basically while knowing that this league would be announced back in January was still active in his role as president of the eca representing hundreds of European clubs and was also blocking reforms for série a.

That on its own should land anyone involved in jail but I fully support a permanent ban for anyone involved.

Nouseforaname
5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

This will happen within 5-10 years.

Its inevitable.

Well all the players involved are now falling.  The only two left are agnelli and Perez.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
3 hours ago, Meazza said:

Well all the players involved are now falling.  The only two left are agnelli and Perez.

It will eventually happen. It’s ultimate iteration will come with input from fans and players.

Nouseforaname
2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

It will eventually happen. It’s ultimate iteration will come with input from fans and players.

That’s fine.  This is a case of the end doesn’t justify the means.  These rich clubs tried to bully the leagues and the rest of Europe into adopting their new format without any input and will now pay the price.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
9 minutes ago, Meazza said:

That’s fine.  This is a case of the end doesn’t justify the means.  These rich clubs tried to bully the leagues and the rest of Europe into adopting their new format without any input and will now pay the price.

Again, I don’t fault the 12 clubs. What they did was a reaction to on ongoing problem.

The problem is UEFA.

Nouseforaname
37 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Again, I don’t fault the 12 clubs. What they did was a reaction to on ongoing problem.

The problem is UEFA.

The 12 clubs presidents are also representatives of UEFA and their leagues.

I point to Agnelli specifically because juventus and the two milan's were turning down lucrative TV deals that would have benefited the league.  

Incredibly huge conflict of interest.  He should be in jail.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
14 minutes ago, Meazza said:

The 12 clubs presidents are also representatives of UEFA and their leagues.

I point to Agnelli specifically because juventus and the two milan's were turning down lucrative TV deals that would have benefited the league.  

Incredibly huge conflict of interest.  He should be in jail.

Do Juve, Inter, and Milan have the right to turn down those deals; or do they have zero autonomy?

Nouseforaname
49 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Do Juve, Inter, and Milan have the right to turn down those deals; or do they have zero autonomy?

They are board members of série a so technically, they are supposed to be acting in the best interests of the league.

5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

All major leagues across the world spent a year playing with zero fans in attendance.  Doesn't appear to have hurt their  future media or licensing deals.   

As a fan of the smallest NFL market team, I'm torn on this as the move for a super league will roll into other sports.  It's already prevalent in baseball, where it's a given that the same 10 teams are truly competitive.

• Like 1

Yuck.  I don't care much about European soccer, but this is bad for sports.

Of course, college football did this several years ago so the genie is already out of the bottle.

4merper4mer
On 4/21/2021 at 12:51 PM, GG1 said:

All major leagues across the world spent a year playing with zero fans in attendance.  Doesn't appear to have hurt their  future media or licensing deals.   

As a fan of the smallest NFL market team, I'm torn on this as the move for a super league will roll into other sports.  It's already prevalent in baseball, where it's a given that the same 10 teams are truly competitive.

Who doesn’t want to watch the Yankees suck every day?  I think baseball has some things to fix for sure but I don’t see it as the “same 10 teams”.  I see 3-5 consistently toward the top with a rotation of others that rise and fall.  Semi recent examples of this are the Royals and Astros.  Those teams were built from the ground up with youth and plugged a few holes to get over the top.  The Twins, A’s, Indians and Brewers have consistently been competitive small market teams.

I’m not sure what the magic number might be for a league to have the right mix of elite play and variety.  I’m confident it is more than 12.  Why 12?  Why not make it two?  We could watch the Yankees versus Dodgers every day until September then watch the Cowboys versus whichever LA team that nobody cares about get forced down our throat.  Morons like Jerry Jones don’t realize the immense indirect benefits they receive from the passion of fans in smaller markets.  These benefits have been gradually built for generations but they are oak trees now and some are willing to pull them up by the roots to get at a gold bar sitting underneath.  Why not?  They can just put another acorn in its place, right?

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Who doesn’t want to watch the Yankees suck every day?  I think baseball has some things to fix for sure but I don’t see it as the “same 10 teams”.  I see 3-5 consistently toward the top with a rotation of others that rise and fall.  Semi recent examples of this are the Royals and Astros.  Those teams were built from the ground up with youth and plugged a few holes to get over the top.  The Twins, A’s, Indians and Brewers have consistently been competitive small market teams.

I’m not sure what the magic number might be for a league to have the right mix of elite play and variety.  I’m confident it is more than 12.  Why 12?  Why not make it two?  We could watch the Yankees versus Dodgers every day until September then watch the Cowboys versus whichever LA team that nobody cares about get forced down our throat.  Morons like Jerry Jones don’t realize the immense indirect benefits they receive from the passion of fans in smaller markets.  These benefits have been gradually built for generations but they are oak trees now and some are willing to pull them up by the roots to get at a gold bar sitting underneath.  Why not?  They can just put another acorn in its place, right?

You're missing the bigger variable that global media and licensing rights play into this.  Nobody in the US is plopping down $100/yr to watch Burnley take on Watford.  Conversely, as NFL marches on to EU & Asia, few people there would be interested in a Jax vs Panthers game.   

Home town fans are playing an increasingly smaller role in sports, and all leagues will devolve into a tiered system that may resemble the Premier League format, except instead of a 20 team league, you will have a 12 team major league, and a subset of minor leagues with opportunities to jump up or drop down.