Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

May 3rd - Tremaine Edmunds 5yr Option Due

Foxx

This is not an easy decision by any stretch. With Allen's contract, will we be able to fit both he and Edmunds under the projected cap? Do they not tender Edmunds with hopes of signing him to a back loaded deal? Do they trade him and invest another pick into the MLB position? 

What do you think the Bills do here?

State of the Bills: Beyond Matt Milano, questions remain at linebacker

... In this installment of a series examining the strength of each Bills' position group, we take a closer look at what they have and how it affects their draft plans.

Edmunds knows he's on the clock. As the second of their two first-round draft picks (behind quarterback Josh Allen) in 2018, he's played terrific at times, showing great explosiveness and making each of the last two Pro Bowls. Whether he's shown enough consistency for the Bills to lock in at $12.7 million next year is another story.

They have until May 3rd to decide on picking up the fifth year, which would make his 2022 salary fully guaranteed.

Beane has promised he will focus more on the contracts of Edmunds and Allen immediately after the draft.

Whether they exercise the options or not, they obviously will be able to continue discussions on long-term extensions that would enable them to backload the bulk of the money to 2023 and beyond, giving the Bills more salary cap flexibility heading into next season.

Edmunds is a big-time playmaker who sometimes misses some big-time plays.

Last season he allowed 12.5 yards per reception, which was second-most among linebackers, according to Pro Football Focus, which also had him missing 15 tackles, the ninth most among the league's linebackers. ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

This is not an easy decision by any stretch. With Allen's contract, will we be able to fit both he and Edmunds under the projected cap? Do they not tender Edmunds with hopes of signing him to a back loaded deal? Do they trade him and invest another pick into the MLB position? 

What do you think the Bills do here?

State of the Bills: Beyond Matt Milano, questions remain at linebacker

... In this installment of a series examining the strength of each Bills' position group, we take a closer look at what they have and how it affects their draft plans.

Edmunds knows he's on the clock. As the second of their two first-round draft picks (behind quarterback Josh Allen) in 2018, he's played terrific at times, showing great explosiveness and making each of the last two Pro Bowls. Whether he's shown enough consistency for the Bills to lock in at $12.7 million next year is another story.

They have until May 3rd to decide on picking up the fifth year, which would make his 2022 salary fully guaranteed.

Beane has promised he will focus more on the contracts of Edmunds and Allen immediately after the draft.

Whether they exercise the options or not, they obviously will be able to continue discussions on long-term extensions that would enable them to backload the bulk of the money to 2023 and beyond, giving the Bills more salary cap flexibility heading into next season.

Edmunds is a big-time playmaker who sometimes misses some big-time plays.

Last season he allowed 12.5 yards per reception, which was second-most among linebackers, according to Pro Football Focus, which also had him missing 15 tackles, the ninth most among the league's linebackers. ...

unlike many of the most knowledgeable Bills fans, the Bills highly value Edmunds.

they have planned to keep him

he covers a lot of ground and is gaining the experience to improve his instincts

worst case, if he fails to reach expected levels as MLB after this year, they can use him as the pass rusher they can't seem to find

• Like 1

Just Joshin
46 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

unlike many of the most knowledgeable Bills fans, the Bills highly value Edmunds.

he covers a lot of ground and is gaining the experience to improve his instincts

worst case, if he fails to reach expected levels as MLB after this year, they can use him as the pass rusher they can't seem to find

I agree.  Many fans want him gone but I suspect the Bills value him enough to take the 5th year option.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Spartacus said:

At times this past year, they played Milano and Klein inside and put Edmunds on the perimeter. So, the transition may have already begun?

I would be shocked if they do not exercise the option.  But Tremaine posted something earlier this year on social media about people sleeping on him.  Seemed odd after being named to another pro bowl.  Perhaps its because of his option?

I know Edmunds is a favorite whipping boy sometimes, but the days of developing talent only to see them leave for greener pastures has hopefully ended. 

In 2018 word was we had drafted both the leaders of our defense and our offense and we handed both of them the keys. Yeah, I get frustrated sometimes at his play too, but I also know he is still a kid at 22 that has proven he is a willing student of the game, and I'm sure will only get better.

And I might remind you, better than 2 pro bowl nods already is going to be something we want to stay right here in Buffalo!

Of course I still prefer a 4 or 5 year contract, and i also think it is in Edmunds best interest too. Realize that most players after their rookie deal are now 25 or 26 years old and are in many cases signing what will be the biggest deal of their career while entering their prime. If Edmunds signs a 4 year deal, hell, he will just then be entering his prime when that deal expires!

episode 17 simpson living room GIF

Cha-Ching!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cinga said:

I know Edmunds is a favorite whipping boy sometimes, but the days of developing talent only to see them leave for greener pastures has hopefully ended. 

In 2018 word was we had drafted both the leaders of our defense and our offense and we handed both of them the keys. Yeah, I get frustrated sometimes at his play too, but I also know he is still a kid at 22 that has proven he is a willing student of the game, and I'm sure will only get better.

And I might remind you, better than 2 pro bowl nods already is going to be something we want to stay right here in Buffalo!

Of course I still prefer a 4 or 5 year contract, and i also think it is in Edmunds best interest too. Realize that most players after their rookie deal are now 25 or 26 years old and are in many cases signing what will be the biggest deal of their career while entering their prime. If Edmunds signs a 4 year deal, hell, he will just then be entering his prime when that deal expires!

episode 17 simpson living room GIF

Cha-Ching!

Yeah, I dont get all the hate. Some of it yes. All of it? No

• Cheers 1