Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Return of the USFL

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 3/23/2022 at 9:14 AM, Ann said:

clock.thumb.jpg.ff68ba383925f046a45b2cc7ff929345.jpg

Effect: reducing the need for clock management and allowing sloppier play inside of 2 minutes, making it less exciting. 

But more clock stoppages = more commercial breaks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Effect: reducing the need for clock management and allowing sloppier play inside of 2 minutes, making it less exciting. 

But more clock stoppages = more commercial breaks.

on a made 1st down, the clock doesn't stop long enough for commercials

just to get to the line of scrimmage

basically the college rule

still penalizes teams for stupid in bound plays short of the 1st down marker

Edited by Spartacus

• 3 weeks later...

What to know for the USFL: Rules, coaches, team quarterbacks, schedule, rosters, salaries and more for the inaugural 2022 season

Football fans got quite a treat this week. As the NFL moved into the final stages of its preparations for the 2022 draft, two new spring leagues began a long anticipated joust for attention.

The USFL will debut Saturday night, reviving a long-lost brand and team names first established four decades ago. The XFL, meanwhile, made a series of strategically timed announcements, culminating with naming all eight of its head coaches, to preserve interest in its plans to retake the field in 2023.

The USFL has raced to the front of the starting line, moving from its public introduction to kickoff in 11 months, all while implementing an infrastructure that shares many similarities to the XFL's 2020 product. In an interview this week, USFL executive vice president of football operations Daryl Johnston said he expects the league to "be ahead of the curve" by the time the XFL gets back on the field.

Johnston had some other thoughts about the looming competition between the leagues, which we'll delve into as part of this deep dive into the USFL's origins, ambitions and innovations.

</snip>

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

I'll tune in just to check it out.

I will definitely watch at least a little bit. After getting into the AAF and having them cancel midseason, I'm not sure I'll ever be more than a casual observer of any of the alternative leagues.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ann said:

I will definitely watch at least a little bit. After getting into the AAF and having them cancel midseason, I'm not sure I'll ever be more than a casual observer of any of the alternative leagues.

I probably won't watch anything more than the first game. More curiosity than anything else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ann said:

There were some fun plays, but there was sloppy plays and plain bad passes, too.

I have been giving it a chance. Has the rhythm of a bad college game imho.

• Like 2

Just now, Fansince88 said:

I think that is a fair assessment.

They’ve only had a few weeks of practice. Hopefully, things get better as they play together longer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Just now, Ann said:

I think that is a fair assessment.

They’ve only had a few weeks of practice. Hopefully, things get better as they play together longer.

Thus far it's not bad football but it's also not good football

It scratches an itch

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, devnull said:

Thus far it's not bad football but it's also not good football

It scratches an itch

Actually #1 playing fill in QB would make a decient RB.