Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sports and Society

LB3

22 hours ago, LB3 said:

The NBA is going to have to chime in at some point soon.

I have noticed there is no fan outrage over this interjection of politics into sports.  Do we support athletes using their platform to advocate for their political beliefs or is sports some pure form of escapism in which politics has no place?

Pretty sure the truth is that people only care about politics in sports when its politics that they don't agree with or positions that make them uncomfortable.

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I have noticed there is no fan outrage over this interjection of politics into sports.  Do we support athletes using their platform to advocate for their political beliefs or is sports some pure form of escapism in which politics has no place?

Pretty sure the truth is that people only care about politics in sports when its politics that they don't agree with or positions that make them uncomfortable.

I've noticed there is also no support from the people who talk incessantly about perceived injustices and human rights. Hypocrites will be hypocrites either way you slice it.

Regardless, the NBA is getting put up against it when he goes after their financial interests. I'm surprised they haven't issued a statement yet.

Nouseforaname
On 10/26/2021 at 1:43 PM, Jauronimo said:

What if Kaep would have taken a knee while taking the vaccine?

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Meazza said:

What if Kaep would have taken a knee while taking the vaccine?

I just read that he has a new show coming out, about how he's been silenced and exiled.  

:classic_dry:

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I just read that he has a new show coming out, about how he's been silenced and exiled.  

:classic_dry:

I, for one, cannot wait to hear him speak at length about how he is not allowed to talk.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:46 AM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Every Asian I know - and in IT, that's a lot - would say "What?  The virus came from China."

Only whites with a savior complex are hurt by this.

that's what they want you to think

and they keep releasing "new" material to keep reinforcing the Wuhan story line

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This story is pretty nuts and yet entirely on brand for China. I hope the WTA has the balls to do what the hypocrites of the NBA are too cowardly to do.

• Angry 1
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, LB3 said:

This story is pretty nuts and yet entirely on brand for China. I hope the WTA has the balls to do what the hypocrites of the NBA are too cowardly to do.

Who would have figured that Women's Tennis would have more balls than all men's sports combined?  Kudos.

WTA suspends tournament play in China over concern for Peng Shuai's safety

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

• 2 months later...

It's about damn time someone stood up for women's athletics. 

Accordingly... (look away, look away), there are only two sexes.

2022 South Dakota Legislature

Senate Bill 46

ENTITLED An Act to protect fairness in women's sports.

Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of South Dakota:

Section 1. That a NEW SECTION be added to title 13:

Any interscholastic, intercollegiate, intramural, or club athletic team, sport, or athletic event that is sponsored or sanctioned by an accredited school, school district, an activities association or organization, or an institution of higher education under the control of either the Board of Regents or the Board of Technical Education must be designated as one of the following, based on the biological sex at birth of the participating students:

(1) Females, women, or girls;

(2) Males, men, or boys; or

(3) Coeducational or mixed.

Only female students, based on their biological sex, may participate in any team, sport, or athletic event designated as being for females, women, or girls.

For purposes of this section, biological sex is either female or male and the sex listed on the student's official birth certificate may be relied upon if the certificate was issued at or near the time of the student’s birth. The failure to comply with this section is a limited waiver of sovereign immunity for relief authorized under this Act. ...

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

It's about damn time someone stood up for women's athletics. 

Accordingly... (look away, look away), there are only two sexes.

2022 South Dakota Legislature

Senate Bill 46

Note that it's carefully crafted to distinguish "biological sex" from "affirmed gender."  This is no doubt to avoid the inevitable claims from LGBTQIA+ activists that the legislation is fundamentally transphobic.

Of course, LGBTQIA+ activists will still make that claim, and take this to court.  Which will ultimately result in LGBTQIA+ activists having to deny the very concept of "biological sex," which will be sadly hilarious.