Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Urban Meyer Out

Mahoney

Khan is known for his patience with coaches. Meyer must have instigated a full-blown player riot for him to be fired before his first season is over.

The way I see it a team with a bad head coach has two options.

1) Wait until the end of the season, then fire him. Get a very early draft pick. 

2) Fire the head coach before the end of the season. Now you’ve got an interim head coach who wants to make a name for himself with only a handful of games to do so. And players who want to prove they can achieve more than they did while the head coach was in place. 

With option 2 you’re likely to win a few more games than you would have with option 1. Thus worsening your draft position. 

Several years ago the Bills fired Rex Ryan before the end of the season and put in Anthony Lynn as the interim replacement. Did Lynn begin instilling a winning culture? Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t. But with the exception of Hughes, pretty much all the players who were there during Lynn are now gone. To me, draft position is more important than an opportunity for an interim head coach to “winning culture” players who will soon be replaced. Which is why I’d select option 1, and wait until the end of the season to fire a bad head coach. 

• Wow 1

16 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

To me, draft position is more important than an opportunity for an interim head coach to “winning culture” players who will soon be replaced. Which is why I’d select option 1, and wait until the end of the season to fire a bad head coach. 

Sometimes the dysfunction is on a whole other level, as appears to be the case with Meyer. Keeping him around might have done more harm than any potential drafting benefit. 

40 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Sometimes the dysfunction is on a whole other level, as appears to be the case with Meyer. Keeping him around might have done more harm than good. 

For the sake of argument let’s be optimistic (from the Jaguars’ perspective), and imagine that there’s some bright young OC or DC out there. Someone who’d make a great head coach. And suppose the Jaguars have the ability to correctly identify who that guy is. How does firing Urban Meyer now, as opposed to the end of the season, play into this scenario?

If you’re the Jaguars, you obviously want this guy to say yes to whatever head coaching job you offer him. Does keeping Meyer through the end of the season increase the risk of this guy saying no? I don't believe it does. Keeping Meyer through the end of the season would yield more losses, hence better draft position. Better draft position is one more reason for the new guy to say yes. Everyone knows the Jags are a fixer upper. That better draft choice represents more nails and lumber with which to do the fixing.