Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Ed Oliver's 5th Year Option [Exercised]

Ann

Should they do it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills exercise his 5th year option?

• Yes
    • No

He's been our best dlineman.  Imagine if McD and Beane would pair him up with someone who could actually play the 1TDT spot effectively rather than a couple of JAGs, neither of which draw two blockers...they just don't.

I don't know if it is fair to pin their run problems square on Ed O, it's more the scheme which de-emphasizes stopping the run.  Plus, no way has Butler been better than Ed O.  In an apples to oranges comparison, I would say Oliver is more effective at his position than Edmunds is at the MLB position.

The analysis by NFL.com is very superficial.  It does not account for the defensive scheme employed as well as the players next to him.  Upgrade the 1TDT, get rid of Hughes, Addison, and Butler, go to a 4-3 as a base (rather than nickel), change the contain dline rush strategy and I think Oliver immediately gets a lot better.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Core Four said:

He's been our best dlineman.  Imagine if McD and Beane would pair him up with someone who could actually play the 1TDT spot effectively rather than a couple of JAGs, neither of which draw two blockers...they just don't.

I don't know if it is fair to pin their run problems square on Ed O, it's more the scheme which de-emphasizes stopping the run.  Plus, no way has Butler been better than Ed O.  In an apples to oranges comparison, I would say Oliver is more effective at his position than Edmunds is at the MLB position.

The analysis by NFL.com is very superficial.  It does not account for the defensive scheme employed as well as the players next to him.  Upgrade the 1TDT, get rid of Hughes, Addison, and Butler, go to a 4-3 as a base (rather than nickel), change the contain dline rush strategy and I think Oliver immediately gets a lot better.

This is where I am.  More than anything else this team needs a big, space and blocker eating 1T who gums up the running lanes and doesn’t get pushed off his spot. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

This is where I am.  More than anything else this team needs a big, space and blocker eating 1T who gums up the running lanes and doesn’t get pushed off his spot. 

Exactly.  The Nfl.com piece doesn't account for this.  Ed O is just one piece of the line in a scheme that doesn't emphasize the front four like other teams defenses do.  With the way the Bills utilize the dline, players are supposed to be interchangeable at their respective position, meaning they're not getting the most out of Oliver.

• Like 3

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

This is a non question at this point.

This season Oliver was the player we all hoped he could become.

If paired with a true 1T, and allowed to play the disruptor role in his natural 3T, he’ll be an eventual All Pro.

I’d love to see us trade up and draft Jordan Davis out of UGA (6’6”, 340) to pair with him, and dominate lines for the next 5 years.

• Like 6
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

1T or no, he's been a dominant force on a top-ranked defense this year.

Picking up his option year shouldn't even be a question.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

12 hours ago, Core Four said:

Exactly.  The Nfl.com piece doesn't account for this.

Forgive the broken record, but my dog took a dump this morning that could qualify as a sports journalist.

They've stopped trying to report the news and find more money in being the news. They have no interest in people learning from what they write because their interest is in riling up fans by writing lazy articles meant to generate clicks and arguments.

The fans who post articles here (Shaw and Virgil) run circles around these dudes, and they do it for free.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

I put him in the 5th year option with a contract extension category.

Exactly.  They did that with Edmunds and they should pick up Oliver's 5th year.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Nice article on Ed.

Why Bills’ Ed Oliver says Sean McDermott saved his career

... The culture was right for the defensive tackle too. Things can go sideways for a player if they enter a toxic environment, but Sean McDermott had the Bills on right path from day one. McDermott has stressed the importance of self-improvement and being the best version of yourself on and off the football field. It took little time for McDermott to turn the Bills from a perennial loser to a championship contender. By the time Oliver came along, playoffs were an expectation for the team.

Simply put, Buffalo was the perfect fit for Oliver and the defensive tackle doesn’t take that for granted. On Wednesday, Oliver shared why he was so grateful to McDermott for bringing him to Buffalo. According to the defensive tackle, McDermott saved his career.

“I just think for me, with McDermott bringing me here... I just can’t say enough about that right there,” Oliver said. “I could have been a whole bunch of other places and would not have been in this situation. I’ve been in the league going on three years now and every year I’ve been to the playoffs. The coaches here are just good. They say a lot of other places around the league, just talking to older guys, it’s just not like this. So for me, I wouldn’t say he saved my life but he damn sure saved my career coming to a place where there’s a good atmosphere and me learning to be a pro here versus somewhere else where it’s not so family oriented and things like that.” ...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From cover 1:

Buffalo Bills Defensive tackle Ed Oliver had the breakout season Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier predicted. Oliver improved his mental processing on the field and became a "student of the game." Erik dives into Oliver's film to show you how he improved and how he could still take his game to another level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Being second on this Bills team in sacks is like being the second-tallest midget. 

Yes, but for a midget, that's pretty tall. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The deadline to exercise the 5th year option is May 2nd.

PFF's take.

Predicting the fifth-year option decisions for all 32 2019 first-round draft picks

... PICK NO. 9: BUFFALO BILLS: DI ED OLIVER

PFF grade, 2019-21: 62.2 (T87/155)
PFF WAR, 2019-21:.191 (42nd)

Fifth-year option amount: $10,753,000
PFF Prediction: Exercise

Oliver has slowly but surely started to display the talent that had him garnering legitimate top-five pick buzz during his college career. He earned a career-best 70.9 grade in 2021 and saved his best performance for last with an impressive outing against the Kansas City Chiefs in the divisional playoff round. There, he generated six quarterback pressures on Patrick Mahomes against a stout interior offensive line. 

With the addition of more early-round draft picks along the defensive line in addition to the edge defender Von Miller and interior defender DaQuan Jones acquisitions, Oliver could take another step in 2022 toward becoming a dominant presence on the inside. ...

• Like 2