Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

Alaska Darin
7 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

What a fantastic segment. Had no idea about Elam's pedigree, but you see the value of having a father and uncle stay with you through the drafting process, much like you with Cook living with his brother to keep him focused.

There's no coincidence that the team favors these kind of grounded players.

Things I found weirdly interesting:

1.  The BILLS have a different dress code for each day of the draft.  I took note of it last season and was wondering if it's a thing.  It is.

2.  Terry Pegula takes notes at the combine but literally has no idea who Steve Smith is.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Pretty sure Schopp's trying to roll a 3.5 on a die.  

And he keeps comin’ up snake eyes. 

Edited by Nanker

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

"No it doesn't."

-That Idiot Schopp who has never played a sport

Untrue.  He talks about playing tennis & IIRC golf, too.

You know, those truly team based sports that would absolutely make him an expert in team chemistry.  :classic_unsure: 

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 1

IDBillzFan
5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Things I found weirdly interesting:

1.  The BILLS have a different dress code for each day of the draft.  I took note of it last season and was wondering if it's a thing.  It is.

2.  Terry Pegula takes notes at the combine but literally has no idea who Steve Smith is.

In all fairness, I'm not convinced Steve Smith knew who Terry Pegula is. In fact, my impression of Steve Smith is half the time he doesn't know who Steve Smith is.0

There's a great country song called "I'll Never Smoke Weed With Willie Again." I bet Willie Nelson sings a song called "I'll Never Smoke Weed With Steve Smith Again."

And if he ISN'T baked every time the camera is on him, then he should see a doctor for head damage.

IDBillzFan

I remember when fans would be losing their collective shit because the Bills were late signing their early round draft class.

Glad those days are over.  

• Like 7

Arm of Harm
54 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I remember when fans would be losing their collective shit because the Bills were late signing their early round draft class.

Glad those days are over.  

Back in those days, teams had a lot more latitude in what they were allowed to pay for their draft picks’ rookie contracts. Jamarcus Russell, for example, landed an absolutely huge rookie contract. Thankfully those days are over. Teams are now told what to pay their draft picks, based on where a player was drafted and the position he plays. IIRC, going to the fixed scale caused a roughly 50% reduction in the amount players were making from rookie contracts. Also it eliminated the vast majority of drama in getting guys signed. While it’s always nice to see the Bills sign their rookie players quickly, pretty much all other NFL teams are probably signing their rookie players quickly too. 

• Like 1

IDBillzFan
44 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Back in those days, teams had a lot more latitude in what they were allowed to pay for their draft picks’ rookie contracts. Jamarcus Russell, for example, landed an absolutely huge rookie contract. Thankfully those days are over. Teams are now told what to pay their draft picks, based on where a player was drafted and the position he plays. IIRC, going to the fixed scale caused a roughly 50% reduction in the amount players were making from rookie contracts. Also it eliminated the vast majority of drama in getting guys signed. While it’s always nice to see the Bills sign their rookie players quickly, pretty much all other NFL teams are probably signing their rookie players quickly too. 

It was probably one of the best decisions the NFL made in recent years; it's eliminated a lot of agita, and I suspect the owners liked it as well since it kept them from having to spend excessively on someone who was still a question mark.

Another benefit, I suspect, is that teams have a more manageable grasp on how much pocket change they're going to need to sign all the draft picks, allowing teams to re-sign existing, proven players without worrying too much about how much they'll need for their rookies.

In the end, I just remember the crazy people ATOP freaking out when the picks just before, and just after, Buffalo's pick were signed, but the Bills players were not. One less whiny thing to listen to.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It was probably one of the best decisions the NFL made in recent years; it's eliminated a lot of agita, and I suspect the owners liked it as well since it kept them from having to spend excessively on someone who was still a question mark.

Another benefit, I suspect, is that teams have a more manageable grasp on how much pocket change they're going to need to sign all the draft picks, allowing teams to re-sign existing, proven players without worrying too much about how much they'll need for their rookies.

In the end, I just remember the crazy people ATOP freaking out when the picks just before, and just after, Buffalo's pick were signed, but the Bills players were not. One less whiny thing to listen to.

call it the Sam Bradford rule

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...