Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

There's a dead mouse on my patio!

Ann

Before hubby left this morning he said, "Get outside for a while! It is beautiful out."

So, I decided to leaf blow the leaves on the backyard patio, and put away the rest of of the outdoor furniture.

As I am leaf blowing, I noticed there is this little (about 2-3" long) thing that looks like a dog turd and it is not blowing away like the leaves.  I then I noticed the tail. A deer mouse. New bait went into the critter traps last week, and I guess that bait is doing its job.

Now all I need is him to come home and bag the body.  Blech. I am not putting anything away until he comes home and bangs on and moves the furniture and opens up the fire pit thingie.

14 minutes ago, Ann said:

Before hubby left this morning he said, "Get outside for a while! It is beautiful out."

So, I decided to leaf blow the leaves on the backyard patio, and put away the rest of of the outdoor furniture.

As I am leaf blowing, I noticed there is this little (about 2-3" long) thing that looks like a dog turd and it is not blowing away like the leaves.  I then I noticed the tail. A deer mouse. New bait went into the critter traps last week, and I guess that bait is doing its job.

Now all I need is him to come home and bag the body.  Blech. I am not putting anything away until he comes home and bangs on and moves the furniture and opens up the fire pit thingie.

Oh my lord.

You ever hear of a shovel?

Edit: ...this is probably what I would say to Mrs. snafu before I went out to deal with it.

Edited by snafu
  • Sad 1

Just now, snafu said:

Oh my lord.

You ever hear of a shovel?

I don't deal well with rodents. :scared3:

Honestly, this thing is tiny. He's gonna have to bag it and then toss it in a larger trash bag so we don't find it stuck to the bottom of the garbage can in a few months.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ann said:

I don't deal well with rodents. :scared3:

Honestly, this thing is tiny. He's gonna have to bag it and then toss it in a larger trash bag so we don't find it stuck to the bottom of the garbage can in a few months.

You need our neighborhood cat...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

You need our neighborhood cat...

We had a dog (he passed away two weeks ago 😭) who cornered a chipmunk under a bin in the backyard a few months ago.  Hubby picked up our dog, lifted the bin and the chipmunk would not move. So, hubby got the hose out to hurry it along. The (very pregnant) chipmunk took off to the neighbors. 

The next morning at about 6am while Hubby was letting the dog out, my husband decided it was a nice morning, so he went outside with the dog.  And there was that same chipmunk laying half-dead in the middle of the patio.  I cannot imagine what the dog (a terrier) would have done to that chipmunk if Hubby had not been there, too. 🤢

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Ann said:

We had a dog (he passed away two weeks ago 😭

I'm really sorry. We lost ours in August. It's really tough, especially when our 3-year-old waves to him in the sky.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

I'm really sorry. We lost ours in August. It's really tough, especially when our 3-year-old waves to him in the sky.

I am so sorry for your loss, @Sum Ting Wong. It is the worst part of pet ownership.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Ann said:

I am so sorry for your loss, @Sum Ting Wong. It is the worst part of pet ownership.

Thank you; same.  It doesn't get easier, per se -- but he was a nearly-16-year-old beagle in rapid decline. I was saying goodbye for the better part of two years, and he passed surrounded by love.

I wasn't so lucky with his predecessor. I returned from a workout and he was dead. I was in shock for months, primarily because he was only 6.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sum Ting Wong said:

Thank you; same.  It doesn't get easier, per se -- but he was a nearly-16-year-old beagle in rapid decline. I was saying goodbye for the better part of two years, and he passed surrounded by love.

I wasn't so lucky with his predecessor. I returned from a workout and he was dead. I was in shock for months, primarily because he was only 6.

Our dog was a rescue we got early this summer. We had worked out his health aliments, and then something hit him out of the blue. It was really crappy for that poor dog because he had an awful life, landed in a dream retirement home, bonded well with Hubby and was happy and growing in confidence. Then bam.  And he was the sweetest boy in spite of his horrible life before making a home with us. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Ann said:

... I noticed there is this little (about 2-3" long) thing that looks like a dog turd and it is not blowing away like the leaves.  I then I noticed the tail. A deer mouse. ...

15 hours ago, Ann said:

... And there was that same chipmunk laying half-dead in the middle of the patio. ...

Sounds like you might need a new patio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

leh-nerd skin-erd
9 hours ago, Ann said:

Huh. I’m struggling to figure it all out. On the one hand you’re tillin’ the land and barn raisin’...then on the other hand you’re waiting for your husband to pick up a dead mouse....I don’t get it.

it’s true what they say.  A woman’s heart is a deep ocean.

Quite a few years ago my wife called to tell me our Jack Russell Terrier may have gotten a squirrel. She’s a tough lady but that kind of thing is my job. Shot home from work, looked around the garage and saw the tail of a squirrel peeking out behind a bucket.  When I moved the bucket, there was no body attached to the tail,  I was like Ben Stiller in “Something about Mary”...

looking around trying to figure out where the squirrel went without his tail.  I finally went back to work after an exhaustive search (like 10 minutes). 

The next day, I found the squirrel body on our front walkway (a place I had looked the day before).  I still have no idea what the heck happened.  

Our JRT—the most delightfully crazy and somewhat aggressive and yappy dog, great fetch dog, great acrobatically (jumped over kneeling children, onto my back and into my arms—-is now 16 and suffering from some variation of dementia.  Very sorry to hear about your dog! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ann said:

We went bear hunting back woods on Cranberry Lake State Land in the Adirondacks about 10 years ago. There was 3 of us guys. Paddled in on Friday morning and stayed till Sunday afternoon. Back there the state constructed lean-tos with 3 sides. Long story short we didn't see a single bear but  had a deer mouse visit us both nights. Thing was cute. kept one of us up all night climbing over our sleeping bags. Finally we decided to feed it because that was all it wanted. 

• Wow 1

16 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

it’s true what they say.  A woman’s heart is a deep ocean.

Yep, and stuff like this is down there!

image.jpeg.8f49fcffa37e6cdf159514982e03dd22.jpeg

• Doh! 1
  • Haha 2

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

About five years ago I walked in the door after work to the wife standing on the couch screaming, having been “treed” by a live opossum (forever henceforth known as “The Awesome Opossum”), that somehow managed to walk in through an open door while my wife was cleaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

About five years ago I walked in the door after work to the wife standing on the couch screaming, having been “treed” by a live opossum (forever henceforth known as “The Awesome Opossum”), that somehow managed to walk in through an open door while my wife was cleaning.

I'd have been screaming with her. :scared3::scared3:

A few years ago, my husband had the front door open for some reason.
We noticed nothing amiss, closed and locked up, and went to sleep.
The next morning the dog is sniffing around the laundry room, but not barking or making a fuss. He would not come when called, however.
So, Hubby walks into the laundry room to get the dog, and sees him sniffing furiously by the trash can.
Hubby thought that was odd - there is basically dryer lint in there, what in the world could the dog be sniffing?
My husband looks inside the trash can, and a duck looks up at him.
:classic_blink:
We placed a call to my brother (who is an exterminator) on the best way to get rid of that duck, chased him out of the house, and proceeded to disinfect the place.

Sometimes, I swear we live in wild kingdom.

• Haha 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
1 hour ago, Ann said:

I'd have been screaming with her. :scared3::scared3:

A few years ago, my husband had the front door open for some reason.
We noticed nothing amiss, closed and locked up, and went to sleep.
The next morning the dog is sniffing around the laundry room, but not barking or making a fuss. He would not come when called, however.
So, Hubby walks into the laundry room to get the dog, and sees him sniffing furiously by the trash can.
Hubby thought that was odd - there is basically dryer lint in there, what in the world could the dog be sniffing?
My husband looks inside the trash can, and a duck looks up at him.
:classic_blink:
We placed a call to my brother (who is an exterminator) on the best way to get rid of that duck, chased him out of the house, and proceeded to disinfect the place.

Sometimes, I swear we live in wild kingdom.

Are you sure he wasn’t there to sell you a supplemental insurance policy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3