Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo Bills 2022 Draft Pick: Round 3, Pick #89: LB - Terrel Bernard - Baylor

Bills Fans

25 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I expect he'll hit the weight room and bulk up and put on a few pounds. Not sure how much they would want him to add though.

Luke Kuechly was 2 inches taller and his playing weight was around 238lbs. I'm not saying he is Kuechly but, comparable?

That would be awesome if Bernard's skillset and abilities migrate toward those of Keuchly, though he's going to need quite a bit of coaching as he appears to be a project.  I'd settle for a poor man's Keuchly at this point considering what we have now, but that wont come this year, at the least.  Kind of a curious pick for round 3.  From https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021397-terrel-bernard-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-baylor-lb:

POSITIVES

— Speed in space pops off the film. Highly effective pursuit defender sideline-to-sideline.

— Impressive flexibility and body control. Allows him to change directions and flow in space, as well as turn to make himself skinny when taking on blockers.

— Downhill speed can beat linemen to the spot and wiggle past them to shoot through a gap.

— Impressive turn-and-run speed and change of direction in coverage. Regularly had to carry tight ends up the seam and back across the field on crossers and kept up with them step for step.

— Effective as a blitzer, particularly looping around the edge. Has the speed and bend to be a problem in space and finish sacks with his speed

NEGATIVES

— Size and weight is a concern. Handily overwhelmed by offensive linemen if they get a hand on him more often than not. Does not take on blocks effectively.

— Not a physical tackler. Struggles to strike through runners and bring them down where they are.

— Eye candy can give him some trouble at times. Regularly comes up too far on play action and fails to regain depth. Shifts, motions and players coming across the line of scrimmage at the snap to block can get him to hesitate.

— Can get lost in the mosh pit against heavier and tighter formations. Does not have the strength or comfort to handle those situations.

— Limited in coverage right now assignment-wise despite his range. Only comfortable turning and running across the field in man or match coverage. Needs to prove more as a zone-coverage defender playing top-down.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Core Four said:

That would be awesome if Bernard's skillset and abilities migrate toward those of Keuchly, though he's going to need quite a bit of coaching as he appears to be a project.  I'd settle for a poor man's Keuchly at this point considering what we have now, but that wont come this year, at the least.  Kind of a curious pick for round 3.  From https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021397-terrel-bernard-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-baylor-lb:

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. Busy day here today.

I should have said that there are others who have played at roughly his weight that have been successful.

That said, I agree, he is not Keuchly nor will he probably approach anything like that. I guess all I'm trying to say is that, with Magic Beane's track record, I would not be surprised by anything this kid does.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
20 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I should have said that there are others who have played at roughly his weight that have been successful.

That said, I agree, he is not Keuchly nor will he probably approach anything like that. I guess all I'm trying to say is that, with Magic Beane's track record, I would not be surprised by anything this kid does.

I love faster LBers as long as your interior guys are doing their business.  The thing Beane said multiple times about Bernard is "instinctive".  That was the thing I think I wanted to hear more than anything.  I've always wanted the BILLS to kinda do what the 1990s Cowboys did - get really physical interior DTs and then find LBers behind them who can outrun everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I love faster LBers as long as your interior guys are doing their business.  The thing Beane said multiple times about Bernard is "instinctive".  That was the thing I think I wanted to hear more than anything.  I've always wanted the BILLS to kinda do what the 1990s Cowboys did - get really physical interior DTs and then find LBers behind them who can outrun everyone else.

I think if he just gravitates towards open spaces, instead of clogged spaces, he will be an improvement over a certain somebody.

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

Jabba The Hutt
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Loving Baylon Spector :classic_love:

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

He is fast laterally, though can be aggressive downhill and has tunnel vision, which can cause him to get caught in blocks which he isn't strong enough to shed.  Like you said, it is good to hear 'instinctive,' which we don't have now.  In order to keep our LBs free is for our DTs to actually occupy the C/G...could be we have that going forward.

• Cheers 2

While I know players are progressively getting bigger over the years, a MLB doesn't have to be 6-5/250 either. Mike Singletary was 6ft, London Fletcher was barely 5-10 and both if younger could still stack up quite well playing today.

• Like 2

Joe Miner

I'm definitely not in the know on college draft prospects, but this one seems to be the biggest head scratcher in the Bills draft.

What does he project as, and is his ceiling really higher or equal to what's already on the team?

4 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

I'm definitely not in the know on college draft prospects, but this one seems to be the biggest head scratcher in the Bills draft.

What does he project as, and is his ceiling really higher or equal to what's already on the team?

Everything I have read is he is a head scratcher where he was drafted, and Khalil Shakir was an absolute steal in the 5th. Swap in your head where they were drafted, and you will be pleased. 

Alaska Darin
3 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

He's another Milano, basically - though GMBB said he can play some inside.  I do believe we're going to see him on the field in some hybrid-situations playing the Big Nickle spot.

I learned not to question Beane's board value because he does a much better job than pretty much anyone of putting players from round 3-7 into the NFL.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

Spartacus
3 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

they can now a play a    4-   2.5 - 4.5 

with better support against the run and TE coverage than with Taron Johnson

• Like 1

Core Four
36 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

they can now a play a    4-   2.5 - 4.5 

with better support against the run and TE coverage than with Taron Johnson

If Terrel Bernard can be effective as a big nickel, I'd be happy with that.  If Bernard can develop quickly and eventually keep Taron Johnson on the sidelines, this will be a very good pick.  At this point, Bernard will need a lot of coaching; it does seem like this was a reach in the 3rd round.