• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Foxx

• Nouseforaname

• Ann

• Crap Throwing Clavin

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, devnull said:

The banks on that list that catch my eye are PNC because of its size and Key because its a Great Lakes Regional bank

Key is all the way to Utah (at least).

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

Key is all the way to Utah (at least).

True, but it's based in Cleveland and grew up along Lake Erie

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 3/24/2023 at 8:29 AM, Foxx said:

It depends.  The CRE market in the greater DC area seems fairly okay (based on the jobs my wife is seeing - closing for residential is still way down, but commercial closings still aren't too bad.)  So I suspect it's a very local effect, some markets are okay, some are hurting.

Probably no way to easily tell what individual banks' exposures are, though.  And a lot of it probably does go through regionals.

9 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It depends.  The CRE market in the greater DC area seems fairly okay (based on the jobs my wife is seeing - closing for residential is still way down, but commercial closings still aren't too bad.)  So I suspect it's a very local effect, some markets are okay, some are hurting.

Probably no way to easily tell what individual banks' exposures are, though.  And a lot of it probably does go through regionals.

CRE market around DC isn't going to be hit as hard as the markets in flyover country.

The economies of flyover country can't print their own money

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, devnull said:

CRE market around DC isn't going to be hit as hard as the markets in flyover country.

Conversely, with fewer pro-crime policies, less COVID stupidity, better commutes leading to less telework, CRE in cities in flyover country may not be hit as badly as coastal liberal cities that drive commerce out of their downtowns and forced everyone to stay home.

My point still being: it's probably highly localized.

IDBillzFan
10 hours ago, devnull said:

I have two friends who do commercial real estate appraisals (one in AZ and one in ID), and they're both sitting on their asses questioning life choices. Nobody is buying anything with interest rates so high.

• Like 1

From the Telegraph:

Half of America’s banks are potentially insolvent – this is how a credit crunch begins

... Almost half of America’s 4,800 banks are already burning through their capital buffers. They may not have to mark all losses to market under US accounting rules but that does not make them solvent. Somebody will take those losses.

“It’s spooky. Thousands of banks are underwater,” said Professor Amit Seru, a banking expert at Stanford University. “Let’s not pretend that this is just about Silicon Valley Bank and First Republic. A lot of the US banking system is potentially insolvent.”

The full shock of monetary tightening by the Fed has yet to hit. A great edifice of debt faces a refinancing cliff-edge over the next six quarters. Only then will we learn whether the US financial system can safely deflate the excess leverage induced by extreme monetary stimulus during the pandemic. ...