Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts About the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

13 hours ago, Core Four said:

There are Bills fans that are in the Motor camp, and Bills fans that are in the Moss camp.  I'm not sure either are good enough to establish any sort of dominant run game.  Have to hope that Cook develops into the guy because Moss and Singletary don't seem to be it.

Completely agree. I don't think Moss is a Bill next year.  He should be replaced by a 230+ pound bully that excels at short yardage situations and can wear down a defense. Singletary or Cook can share the backfield with the bully.  

Who knows, we might see more of Gilliam carrying the ball as the season goes on.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

And they'll do it more effectively when the line isn't built with Elmer's glue. You really saw how much the run game missed Morse today. And every time I turned around, another lineman was on the ground looking for an IV and an umbrella drink.

Also, it may just be me, but for the time we'd had Moss, the one word that never came to mind with him was speed, and yet that sonofabitch turned on jets on that one run that I never expected to see from him.

They all look good running by themselves.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Also, it may just be me, but for the time we'd had Moss, the one word that never came to mind with him was speed, and yet that sonofabitch turned on jets on that one run that I never expected to see from him.

Because he was fresh, and everyone else was courting heat-stroke.  

Damn it, if Morse or Bates were healthy...

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

1 - Everyone else

2 - Inevitable

The fact that our team was worn down to the nub on OLine and in the Secondary, and still lost by 2 is incredible, IMO.

You're right about the fact that there ware starters who made big mistakes.  However, what game is absolutely mistake free?  And that goes for the ONE blown play in the secondary which sprung Waddle.  Even after that, the team had its chances to go ahead.

5 - Allen

We need more "silent assassin" Allen, but, Allen isn't that kind of guy. 

He's "maniac on the street with a machete" Allen.

Sometimes the maniac causes some collateral damage. I can live with that because most of the time, he's talented enough to overcome.  I disagree that Allen "lost us the game on offense".  If it weren't for Allen, this game wouldn't have come down to the last drive.

6 - Play calling

You really think that having Miami allow the Bills to run 90+ offensive plays was a good game plan?

By "god game plan" do you mean, have our offense completely exhaust themselves so that they could barely finish drives?

The Dolphins were better prepared, had more energy, and played harder. Lose, but don't get beat in those three phases. That's on McD. in those three phases.  That's on McD.

The Dolphins' defense gets a lot of credit from me for actually staying on the field.  So maybe they were better prepared  (for the heat) and had more energy -- but as many have said, there had to be about a 20 degree difference in each teams' sideline experience.  I can't say the Dolphins were better prepared in how their defense played, because the Bills went up and down the field all day.  I can't say that the Dolphins' offense was better prepared because they didn't go up and down the field all day on our defense.  In fact, the fact that the Dolphins had two top notch receivers going up against an entire set of back-up Defensive backs had me extremely anxious prior to the game.  Aside from Waddle's 3d/22 play, they Dolphin passing game sucked.  

I'll never say that one team played harder than the other.

I dunno @Virgil, I usually agree with you.  Not this week.

Anyhow, thanks for your write-ups.  I like to read them.

• Like 5

Crap Throwing Clavin
17 minutes ago, snafu said:

You're right about the fact that there ware starters who made big mistakes.  However, what game is absolutely mistake free?  And that goes for the ONE blown play in the secondary which sprung Waddle.  Even after that, the team had its chances to go ahead.

On reflection a day later, I've been wondering if heat exhaustion didn't contribute to some of the mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

On reflection a day later, I've been wondering if heat exhaustion didn't contribute to some of the mistakes.

I would guess it may have.

Compound that with backups (who may be more prone to errors -- making them backups in the first place) suffering from heat exhaustion.

• Like 2

I think yesterday was effectively the Dolphins' Super Bowl and it wasn't promising for them facing a secondary of Buffalo backups with Tua having the poor stat line that he did at the end of the day. Even though we had some errors and a ton of injuries the game showed that we can still compete after being bit by the injury bug HARD. Still we had a few chances to clinch the win but I'm chalking up a lot of the errors to the brutal heat and having inexperienced players out there. Yes, it was nice to see Dorsey show some emotion in the booth and look for us to blast them come December when we're healthier and have the cold on our side. For now, I'd be worried if I were Baltimore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SackMan518 said:

I think yesterday was effectively the Dolphins' Super Bowl and it wasn't promising for them facing a secondary of Buffalo backups with Tua having the poor stat line that he did at the end of the day.

I heard or read that Tua needed 260 something yards yesterday to be the fastest to get to 1000 yards in a season. I suspect that was a Miami stat and not an NFL stat because Josh already surpassed that (1014) and no one was crowing about it.

But Tua came up short against what is essentially a mail order secondary.

EDIT: Whatdayaknow? Current list of 2022 NFL passing leaders

Edited by IDBillzFan

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

I heard or read that Tua needed 260 something yards yesterday to be the fastest to get to 1000 yards in a season.

They left out the part that specified fastest Dolphin QB to do it.

5 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

They left out the part that specified fastest Dolphin QB to do it.

Just saw in the Josh Allen thread it was fastest to make it in the NFL.

Turns out that goes to Josh, who did 1014 in 3 games.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Tua is still holding out hope to be the fastest top drafted QB to have his career ended by injuries though.

• Like 1
  • Boo 1

6 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Hard to believe that in as pass happy a league as the NFL has been this century, that it took until 2022 for somebody to average at least 333.3 ypg passing over the 1st 3 weeks of the season.

Cool that Allen was the 1st.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hard to believe that in as pass happy a league as the NFL has been this century, that it took until 2022 for somebody to average at least 333.3 ypg passing over the 1st 3 weeks of the season.

Cool that Allen was the 1st.

Manning had 1100+ in the first three games of 2013.  Brees had 1014 the first three of 2011.  Brady, 1049 the first three of last year.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Manning had 1100+ in the first three games of 2013.  Brees had 1014 the first three of 2011.  Brady, 1049 the first three of last year.

Then no friggin' idea what ID is talking about.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It was a Tua-specific comment I read or heard, so maybe it actually was a Fish stat.

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He's talking about Dolphins fans saying "Tua will be the fastest to 1000 yards!" when they either meant fastest this season, or just didn't know what they were talking about.

The moral of the story being: never trust stats from a fan base that collectively knows less about football than my cat.

(For context, here's a picture of my cat watching last season's first NE regular season game.  He was smacking Belichick in the head whenever they showed him on screen.  He's pretty football savvy.)

20211206_212923.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:53 AM, Ninety-4 said:

Completely agree. I don't think Moss is a Bill next year.  He should be replaced by a 230+ pound bully that excels at short yardage situations and can wear down a defense. Singletary or Cook can share the backfield with the bully.  

Who knows, we might see more of Gilliam carrying the ball as the season goes on.  

Yeah, one of the two between Moss and Singletary won't be a Bill in the long term.  I've said it before, they're more similar than dissimilar.  I'd be all for a 230 lb bruiser; don't think they're easy to find, though.