Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 Salary Cap Thread

Ann

1 hour ago, Fansince88 said:

And, why would we want to get rid of Dawson?

Because we love Kincaid and everybody "knows" that it's a bad thing to have 2 useful TE's on a roster?  (Yeah, Knox tends to drop passes at REALLY inopportune times, but he's still a useful (though probably overpaid) player.)

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Because we love Kincaid and everybody "knows" that it's a bad thing to have 2 useful TE's on a roster?  (Yeah, Knox tends to drop passes at REALLY inopportune times, but he's still a useful (though probably overpaid) player.)

His angry runs though!!! Also, yes. I see your sarcasm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Addition #NFLCap Space Utilization

Bears Cap Hit for Tremaine Edmunds $14.69M

Bills Cap hits for Connor McGovern + Leonard Floyd + Rasul Douglas + Linval Joseph + Latavius Murray + David Edwards +Ty Johnson + Germain Ifedi + Poona Ford $14.03M

• Like 3

A lot has been made about the Bills cap situation in 2024. It's rough.

One option the Bills could pursue are salary dump trades.

Example 2024 Cutting Von Miller is $32 million dead cap/nearly $9 million extra against the cap to go away

Trading Von is $21 Million dead cap/$2 million in cap relief...

But then he's off your books after 2024. 2 things

1) In these types of trades, it's not uncommon for the team unloading the player to also include draft compensation to the team taking on the salary.

2) Von may not be the best example from a predictive standpoint, because it's hard to see a team being willing to take on that salary unless you REALLY sweeten the pot with a premium pick. But the example was to show how you can get yourself out of cap jail a little quicker.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ann said:

Example 2024 Cutting Von Miller is $32 million dead cap/nearly $9 million extra against the cap to go away

1) In these types of trades, it's not uncommon for the team unloading the player to also include draft compensation to the team taking on the salary.

2) Von may not be the best example from a predictive standpoint, because it's hard to see a team being willing to take on that salary unless you REALLY sweeten the pot with a premium pick. But the example was to show how you can get yourself out of cap jail a little quicker.

Does the NFL have an analogous team to the Arizona Coyotes of the NHL?  Through the years the Yotes have taken on many a contract of a guy that was no longer playing to help them reach the salary cap floor (particularly if the player had already been paid more actual $'s than his cap hit because then the Yotes only paid a couple mil for several mil's worth of cap hit.  They'd usually get a pick to go with that salary too.  And everybody involved in the trade was happy - the player because he doesn't get waived only receiving 2/3's of what his contract said he was owed; the trade partner because it gets out of cap jail for a draft pick; and the Yotes because they get a draft pick and get to the cap floor for a minimal outlay.

So, who is the NFL's Yotes?

• 3 weeks later...
ComradeKayAdams
On 11/30/2023 at 11:26 AM, Ann said:

Buffalo’s salary cap situation isn’t as bad as many people think! Spotrac has the Bills at about $41 million over the cap, based on a (conservative) 2024 league ceiling of $242.5 million, but Buffalo already has its big-money positions locked up and a large majority of the football roster under contract. Cutting or trading Von Miller may not even be necessary.

A month or so ago, Greg Tompsett from Cover One hosted an analysis video of Buffalo’s cap situation. I skimmed through it and jotted down some number estimates he had for restructures and extensions. So I’ll use these numbers to give everyone a sense of what the 2024 offseason landscape could look like:

4 restructures ($42 million total saved): QB Josh Allen ($23 million), WR Stefon Diggs ($13 million), G Connor McGovern ($3 million), DT Ed Oliver ($3 million).

3 extensions ($18 million total saved): T Dion Dawkins ($7 million), CB Rasul Douglas ($6 million), CB Taron Johnson ($5 million saved).

4 cuts ($11 million total saved): RB Nyheim Hines ($5 million), WR Deonte Harty ($4 million), TE Zach Davidson ($1 million), T Tommy Doyle ($1 million).

Right away, you can see that I’ve trimmed $71 million dollars from our cap with minimal added risk and a negligible loss of talent. That would then leave us with 35 players under contract and $30 million in cap space.

Next, we have 4 loyal Bills veterans who could be persuaded to restructure/extend their contracts in what would essentially amount to pay cuts, since their current contracts entering the 2024 offseason have them getting paid significantly above their expected market value:

C Mitch Morse

S Jordan Poyer

CB Tre’Davious White

CB Siran Neal

And then we have the Von Miller situation… I have a feeling that Brandon Beane is going to give him one more year to prove himself, but there’s a chance he may designate Miller a post-June 1 cut if his contract jeopardizes the team’s ability to re-sign pass rushers like Floyd and Epenesa. Such a move would save the Bills ~$7.5 million in 2024 (a dead cap hit of ~$16.25 million), another ~$7.5 million in 2025 (another dead cap hit of ~$16.25 million), ~$26.5 million in 2026, and ~$32.5 million in 2027. In any event, I doubt that Beane bothers to make an NHL-style trade away of draft picks in order to dump Miller’s contract onto another team. Mid-round and late-round NFL draft picks have WAY more value than their NHL equivalents.

So with the aforementioned 5 players, Brandon Beane could easily drop another $20+ million below the cap if he wants.

And for those diligently following along with me, here are the other 23 players under contract whose contracts I have left alone: K Tyler Bass, P Sam Martin, LS Reid Ferguson, RB James Cook, FB Reggie Gilliam, WR Khalil Shakir, WR Justin Shorter, TE Dalton Kincaid, TE Dawson Knox, T Spencer Brown, T Ryan Van Demark, G O’Cyrus Torrence, G Ryan Bates, G Alec Anderson, DE Greg Rousseau, DE Kingsley Jonathan, LB Matt Milano, LB Terrel Bernard, LB Dorian Williams, LB Baylon Spector, S Damar Hamlin, CB Christian Benford, CB Kaiir Elam.

There is then the matter of filling out the 53-man roster with 18 more players. 10 of those will likely come from the draft (including the compensatory third from losing Edmunds), with draft priority given to finding a #2 WR, future safeties to replace Poyer and Hyde, a future DT to replace Jones, and a future center to replace Morse. I believe the cap allotment for this draft class should amount to about an additional $8 million??

And for roster completeness, I’m filling out the remaining 8 future roster spots with our own free agents whom I would like to see the Bills make an honest attempt to keep: QB Kyle Allen, RB Ty Johnson, DT DaQuan Jones, DE Leonard Floyd, DE A.J. Epenesa, LB Tyrel Dodson, S Micah Hyde, S Cam Lewis.

Oh, and the 30 other free agents I believe the Bills will end up not re-signing due to a variety of reasons: QB Shane Buechele, RB Damien Harris, RB Latavius Murray, RB Leonard Fournette, WR Gabe Davis, WR Trent Sherfield, WR Andy Isabella, WR Tyrell Shavers, WR Bryan Thompson, TE Tre’ McKitty, TE Quintin Morris, T Germain Ifedi, T Richard Gouraige, G David Edwards, G Kevin Jarvis, C Greg Mancz, DT Jordan Phillips, DT Tim Settle, DT Linval Joseph, DT Poona Ford, DT Eli Ankou, DT Andrew Brown, DE Kameron Cline, DE Shaq Lawson, LB Tyler Matakevich, S Taylor Rapp, CB Kyron Brown, CB Ja’Marcus Ingram, CB Josh Norman, CB Dane Jackson.

Phew…any questions?? Consider this a VERY rough first draft of a 2024 offseason strategy. I didn’t even bother with free agents from the other 31 teams.

P.S. Not sure how I feel about Beane’s somewhat freewheeling use of void years... He’s pushing north of $10 million in void year cap for each of the next 3 seasons. That essentially becomes dead cap if those players end up never re-signing.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

Buffalo’s salary cap situation isn’t as bad as many people think! Spotrac has the Bills at about $41 million over the cap, based on a (conservative) 2024 league ceiling of $242.5 million, but Buffalo already has its big-money positions locked up and a large majority of the football roster under contract. Cutting or trading Von Miller may not even be necessary.

A month or so ago, Greg Tompsett from Cover One hosted an analysis video of Buffalo’s cap situation. I skimmed through it and jotted down some number estimates he had for restructures and extensions. So I’ll use these numbers to give everyone a sense of what the 2024 offseason landscape could look like:

4 restructures ($42 million total saved): QB Josh Allen ($23 million), WR Stefon Diggs ($13 million), G Connor McGovern ($3 million), DT Ed Oliver ($3 million).

3 extensions ($18 million total saved): T Dion Dawkins ($7 million), CB Rasul Douglas ($6 million), CB Taron Johnson ($5 million saved).

4 cuts ($11 million total saved): RB Nyheim Hines ($5 million), WR Deonte Harty ($4 million), TE Zach Davidson ($1 million), T Tommy Doyle ($1 million).

Right away, you can see that I’ve trimmed $71 million dollars from our cap with minimal added risk and a negligible loss of talent. That would then leave us with 35 players under contract and $30 million in cap space.

Next, we have 4 loyal Bills veterans who could be persuaded to restructure/extend their contracts in what would essentially amount to pay cuts, since their current contracts entering the 2024 offseason have them getting paid significantly above their expected market value:

C Mitch Morse

S Jordan Poyer

CB Tre’Davious White

CB Siran Neal

And then we have the Von Miller situation… I have a feeling that Brandon Beane is going to give him one more year to prove himself, but there’s a chance he may designate Miller a post-June 1 cut if his contract jeopardizes the team’s ability to re-sign pass rushers like Floyd and Epenesa. Such a move would save the Bills ~$7.5 million in 2024 (a dead cap hit of ~$16.25 million), another ~$7.5 million in 2025 (another dead cap hit of ~$16.25 million), ~$26.5 million in 2026, and ~$32.5 million in 2027. In any event, I doubt that Beane bothers to make an NHL-style trade away of draft picks in order to dump Miller’s contract onto another team. Mid-round and late-round NFL draft picks have WAY more value than their NHL equivalents.

So with the aforementioned 5 players, Brandon Beane could easily drop another $20+ million below the cap if he wants.

And for those diligently following along with me, here are the other 23 players under contract whose contracts I have left alone: K Tyler Bass, P Sam Martin, LS Reid Ferguson, RB James Cook, FB Reggie Gilliam, WR Khalil Shakir, WR Justin Shorter, TE Dalton Kincaid, TE Dawson Knox, T Spencer Brown, T Ryan Van Demark, G O’Cyrus Torrence, G Ryan Bates, G Alec Anderson, DE Greg Rousseau, DE Kingsley Jonathan, LB Matt Milano, LB Terrel Bernard, LB Dorian Williams, LB Baylon Spector, S Damar Hamlin, CB Christian Benford, CB Kaiir Elam.

There is then the matter of filling out the 53-man roster with 18 more players. 10 of those will likely come from the draft (including the compensatory third from losing Edmunds), with draft priority given to finding a #2 WR, future safeties to replace Poyer and Hyde, a future DT to replace Jones, and a future center to replace Morse. I believe the cap allotment for this draft class should amount to about an additional $8 million??

And for roster completeness, I’m filling out the remaining 8 future roster spots with our own free agents whom I would like to see the Bills make an honest attempt to keep: QB Kyle Allen, RB Ty Johnson, DT DaQuan Jones, DE Leonard Floyd, DE A.J. Epenesa, LB Tyrel Dodson, S Micah Hyde, S Cam Lewis.

Oh, and the 30 other free agents I believe the Bills will end up not re-signing due to a variety of reasons: QB Shane Buechele, RB Damien Harris, RB Latavius Murray, RB Leonard Fournette, WR Gabe Davis, WR Trent Sherfield, WR Andy Isabella, WR Tyrell Shavers, WR Bryan Thompson, TE Tre’ McKitty, TE Quintin Morris, T Germain Ifedi, T Richard Gouraige, G David Edwards, G Kevin Jarvis, C Greg Mancz, DT Jordan Phillips, DT Tim Settle, DT Linval Joseph, DT Poona Ford, DT Eli Ankou, DT Andrew Brown, DE Kameron Cline, DE Shaq Lawson, LB Tyler Matakevich, S Taylor Rapp, CB Kyron Brown, CB Ja’Marcus Ingram, CB Josh Norman, CB Dane Jackson.

Phew…any questions?? Consider this a VERY rough first draft of a 2024 offseason strategy. I didn’t even bother with free agents from the other 31 teams.

P.S. Not sure how I feel about Beane’s somewhat freewheeling use of void years... He’s pushing north of $10 million in void year cap for each of the next 3 seasons. That essentially becomes dead cap if those players end up never re-signing.

No matter what, it's going to be an interesting off-season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...