Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2023 NFL Competition Committee and Club Playing Rules Proposals

Ann

Quarterback Push Could Be Outlawed by NFL Next Season

</snip>

“I think the league is going to look at this, and I’d be shocked if they don’t make a change,’’ said Dean Blandino, a rules analyst for Fox Sports and The 33rd Team, who was the NFL’s vice president of officiating from 2013 to 2017.

The league’s competition committee will meet in two weeks at the league scouting combine in Indianapolis and then again prior to the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix in late March. The Tush Push will be on their agenda. Any rule change recommendations by the committee would be voted on by the owners in Arizona.

“I was talking to (Denver Broncos coach) Sean Payton during Sunday’s game, and he said we’re going to do this every time next season if they don’t take it out,’’ Blandino said.

“It amounts to a rugby scrum. The NFL wants to showcase the athleticism and skill of our athletes. This is just not a skillful play. This is just a tactic that is not an aesthetically pleasing play, and I think the competition committee is going to take a look at it.’’

</snip>

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 2/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Ann said:

Quarterback Push Could Be Outlawed by NFL Next Season

</snip>

“I think the league is going to look at this, and I’d be shocked if they don’t make a change,’’ said Dean Blandino, a rules analyst for Fox Sports and The 33rd Team, who was the NFL’s vice president of officiating from 2013 to 2017.

The league’s competition committee will meet in two weeks at the league scouting combine in Indianapolis and then again prior to the NFL owners meeting in Phoenix in late March. The Tush Push will be on their agenda. Any rule change recommendations by the committee would be voted on by the owners in Arizona.

“I was talking to (Denver Broncos coach) Sean Payton during Sunday’s game, and he said we’re going to do this every time next season if they don’t take it out,’’ Blandino said.

“It amounts to a rugby scrum. The NFL wants to showcase the athleticism and skill of our athletes. This is just not a skillful play. This is just a tactic that is not an aesthetically pleasing play, and I think the competition committee is going to take a look at it.’’

</snip>

Only the NFL could make a rule change I completely agree with for reasons I think are completely &#%$ing idiotic.  "Aesthetics?"

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Thoughts?

I didn't like it at first viewing.  But after watching a couple of times, it's...interesting.  Lining up the coverage that close to the blocking, and having the blockers spread out like that, opens up some interesting scheme possibilities.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I didn't like it at first viewing.  But after watching a couple of times, it's...interesting.  Lining up the coverage that close to the blocking, and having the blockers spread out like that, opens up some interesting scheme possibilities.

Like the “Tush Push” perhaps?  🤔 Perhaps no. 

Edited by Nanker

THE NFL COMPETITION COMMITTEE

The NFL commissioner selects the members of the Competition Committee, which currently includes:

• Rich McKay (Chairman) – president and CEO, Atlanta Falcons
  • Katie Blackburn – executive vice president, Cincinnati Bengals
  • Chris Grier – general manager, Miami Dolphins
  • Stephen Jones – executive vice president, Dallas Cowboys
  • John Mara – owner, NY Giants
  • Ozzie Newsome – executive vice president, Baltimore Ravens
  • Frank Reich – head coach, Carolina Panthers 
  • Ron Rivera – head coach, Washington Commanders
  • Mike Tomlin – head coach, Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Mike Vrabel – head coach, Tennessee Titans
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Ann said:

It should

Yes. All the field surfaces must be replaced by giant Sleep Number mattresses and the defenders can only use pillows to use against the offense. And, if a defender uses his pillow to swat a quarterback to the ground he is automatically ejected from the game, fined by The League, and has to walk home without taking a shower. 

The League is serious about player safety. Did I mention they have to wear leather helmets? Cloth helmets are an acceptable alternative. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 2/27/2023 at 7:31 AM, Ann said:

First two, rusher lands with his weight on the QB.  Those are a clear violation of the rules.

Third, rusher "throws" the QB to the ground.  Not very strongly, it's a ticky-tack call, but still a literal violation of the rules. (Plus, it's Brady.)

The fourth is bullshit - rusher, as he's falling down, pulls the QB off-balance by the neck of his jersey.  Ref probably thought it was a horse-collar tackle, but if Lawrence had any sense of balance, he wouldn't have fallen.

The fifth, Fox hits Wilson low...as he's falling.  Again, a literal violation of the rule...but Fox would have to defy the laws of physics to avoid it.

The sixth...again, throwing the QB to the ground.  Literal violation of the rules.

Really, only one of those is questionable under the current rules.  The problem with Sapp's statement that they're all questionable is that they were all legal hits when Sapp was playing - he seems to be judging by his experience, and not the current rules.  I actually don't blame him at all for that, because of the second point:

The rule is nonsense.  Those should be clean hits.

Speaking as someone who thinks the officials are grossly incompetent: in this case, hate the rule, not the officials (save for #4.)

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

The future of the NFL:

That’ll be it, because they won’t even be able to show the Combine live ever again since some player tore his ACL, and THAT’S just too horrific to broadcast on national television. 

• 2 weeks later...